Author Topic: Motor Trend Car of the Year Is.....  (Read 14596 times)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Motor Trend Car of the Year Is.....
« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2010, 09:53:28 am »
Actually, smart meters and time of use electricity pricing will help with electric cars. The cheapest rate is overnight, so the time you will be plugging your car in every day is when the price is the lowest.

Indeed yes... and then a extra "gasoline equivalency tax" of many cents/KwH will be added.   
You can't win, you can't  break even.   2nd law of thermodynamics and politics
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Mitlov

« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2010, 04:10:01 pm »
Motor Trend defends its choice of the Chevy Volt as COTY after Rush Limbaugh attacked the decision.  You all need to read this.  It's well-written, but more than that, it's HILARIOUS.

http://blogs.motortrend.com/rush-judgment-5957.html

Leviathan

« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2010, 09:33:13 pm »
Motor Trend defends its choice of the Chevy Volt as COTY after Rush Limbaugh attacked the decision.  You all need to read this.  It's well-written, but more than that, it's HILARIOUS.

:cheers:

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2010, 09:53:35 pm »

Wow. Rush is a moron.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Leviathan

« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2010, 08:36:38 pm »
One of the CABs mileage log

Chevrolet Volt Driving Log
DateTotal MilesEV MilesCS MilesGallonsTotal MPG
11-10-201063.552.810.70.32200.7
11-11-201059.359.300infinite
11-12-201060.430.629.80.7283.9
11-13-201088.552.5360.75118
11-14-201079.942.237.71.0972.9
11-15-2010595900infinite
11-16-201059.359.300infinite
11-17-201024.924.900infinite
11-18-201073.360.612.70.34215
11-19-201060.855.35.50.13467.7
TOTAL628.9496.5132.43.35188

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2010, 09:24:36 pm »
188 US mpg = 1.25L/100km !  :o
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2010, 11:31:58 pm »
Interesting reading on that site. Fun to see how the Advisory Board types are using their Volts. Seem to be very happy with how they run.

The guy in the chart is doing partial recharges at work, so he is getting more than the average in EV range I would think.

Loved the description for this one:

Four volts a MINI-E and Tesla. These six cars probably drove a combined 500 miles on Saturday to come to the event and used about three gallons of gas combined! How's that for reducing our oil dependency!

CatsEye68

« Reply #87 on: November 21, 2010, 09:26:08 am »
Limbaugh on the right is the equivalent of Tom Friedman of the NY Times on the left. Neither knows squat about cars or the auto industry and needs to never write about it again, ever. Every time they do, they show their total ignorance on the subject.

Mitlov

« Reply #88 on: November 21, 2010, 03:28:46 pm »
Limbaugh on the right is the equivalent of Tom Friedman of the NY Times on the left. Neither knows squat about cars or the auto industry and needs to never write about it again, ever. Every time they do, they show their total ignorance on the subject.

You mean this column?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/26/opinion/26friedman.html?_r=1

Because he's dead on.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2010, 03:35:59 pm »
Good read. I liked this paragraph:

Kevin Czinger, Coda’s C.E.O., who drove me around Manhattan in his company’s soon-to-be-in-production electric car last week, laid out what is going on. The backbone of the modern U.S. economy was locally made cars powered by locally produced oil. It started us on a huge growth spurt. In recent decades, though, that industry was supplanted by foreign-made cars run on foreign oil, so “now every time we buy a car we’re exporting $15,000 of capital, paying for it with borrowed money and running it on foreign energy sources,” says Czinger. “We’ve gone from autos being a middle-class-making-machine to a middle-class-destroying-machine.” A U.S. electric car/battery industry would reverse that.

I've been saying that for for years, at least the part about exporting capital. And have been called a moron around these parts for saying so. It's all about "globalization" so it's ok. Glad there are now two of us anyway who think that.

CatsEye68

« Reply #90 on: November 21, 2010, 03:46:20 pm »

You mean this column?

Because he's dead on.

No, because that isn't about the auto industry. I am referring to the drivel he was spewing a couple of years ago.

Leviathan

« Reply #91 on: November 21, 2010, 05:09:06 pm »
The guy in the chart is doing partial recharges at work, so he is getting more than the average in EV range I would think.
Yes, he is charging while at work. I don't think that I'd bother (if I could) but, then again, one charge would do me 2 days worth of commuting anyway. I *might* opportunity charge when visiting my folks (~50km one way) although that would be a good time to run the gas engine to keep it in shape and the gas fresh.

Mitlov

« Reply #92 on: November 21, 2010, 05:30:23 pm »

You mean this column?

Because he's dead on.

No, because that isn't about the auto industry. I am referring to the drivel he was spewing a couple of years ago.

You should link to the column you're talking about.  Most of us don't have three years of Thomas Friedman columns memorized, so we have no idea what you're talking about.  And unlike Rush, he's not always an idiot (like I said, that "Moon Shot" column made some really good points about the auto industry and government promotion of electric cars).

Leviathan

« Reply #93 on: November 21, 2010, 10:33:37 pm »
Interesting reading on that site. Fun to see how the Advisory Board types are using their Volts. Seem to be very happy with how they run.

Another CAB feller says that he got 53.8 miles on a charge
Most Miles I Drove Using on Battery Mode
    The most miles I drove on battery mode was 53.8 miles. It was 53 degrees outside during the trip. I made an effort to drive as efficiently as I could during this trip. I tried to keep the car between 40 and 50 mph and used as little braking as possible during the trip.

Robert Becker
    Chevy Volt Customer Advisory Board Member
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 10:52:46 pm by Leviathan »

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 21, 2010, 10:35:11 pm »

The most miles I drove on battery mode was 53.8 miles. It was 53 degrees outside during the trip. I made an effort to drive as efficiently as I could during this trip. I tried to keep the car between 40 and 50 mph and used as little braking as possible during the trip.

Robert Becker

Damn impressive!

Mitlov

« Reply #95 on: November 21, 2010, 11:16:22 pm »

Robert Becker

Impressive, but I can't help but wonder if he was one of those people who tied up traffic by going 5-10 mph under the speed limit and accelerating like a grandmother, like the Prius I got stuck behind coming home from work on Friday.  I know we need to save the environment, but I just can't applaud "hypermiling," regardless of whether it's by Priuses or Volts...

Leviathan

« Reply #96 on: November 22, 2010, 12:16:48 am »

Impressive, but I can't help but wonder if he was one of those people who tied up traffic by going 5-10 mph under the speed limit and accelerating like a grandmother, like the Prius I got stuck behind coming home from work on Friday.  I know we need to save the environment, but I just can't applaud "hypermiling," regardless of whether it's by Priuses or Volts...
It is only a matter of time before some wanker in a Volt or Leaf is doing that.

Mitlov

« Reply #97 on: November 22, 2010, 12:48:55 am »

It is only a matter of time before some wanker in a Volt or Leaf is doing that.

It's only a matter of time before performance cars start coming with optional $1,000 cowcatchers on the front...

(Oh come on.  You know you want one.)

Leviathan

« Reply #98 on: November 22, 2010, 02:27:10 am »

It's only a matter of time before performance cars start coming with optional $1,000 cowcatchers on the front...

(Oh come on.  You know you want one.)

Hehehe, maybe just for an hour or two....  ;D