Author Topic: First Drive: 2011 Mitsubishi RVR  (Read 26871 times)

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
Re: First Drive: 2011 Mitsubishi RVR
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2010, 05:27:13 pm »
"This is actually the third generation RVR offered to consumers worldwide, but the first of its kind in Canada"

The RVR has been offered here in Canada as the Eagle Summit Wagon and it's Chrysler buddies. US has had it under the Mitsubshi Expo LRV moniker.

I've owned two of these in the past and they were ahead of their time in 1992.  I wished that we had the EVO version available here.  :(

As for this one.  Dunno what segment it's trying to hit but I would pass on this in a big way.  Too pricey.

True, but semantics: the one sold here wasn't called the RVR, and I doubt many more than a small number of the people who owned the Summit and its siblings would have even heard the RVR name before now. So, for our purposes, this is the first RVR for the Canadian market.
I used to work here.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2010, 06:18:47 pm »
That engine is too weak for the segment I think. 

What is the segment? I see a new segment here - sub-compact AWD CUV. These are more of a raised hatches than wagons.
Naturally, the utility is reduced as the vehicles are smaller.

I would agree Tucson and Sportage might be competitors, but not really the CRV, RAV4, etc. The Outlander is the one that has always compete with those.

If you look at Tucson and Sportage, they are slightly bigger, but not by much. Juke is another competitor, but even smaller.
If you are concerned with the power numbers, well... it looks like the almost 30 hp advantage for the Sportage and Tucson only translates in less than half-second to 60 mph (AWD vehicles). The little Juke is the undisputed champ by a large margin.
The RVR in return posts better fuel economy (I use EPA as reference).

Tucson and Sportage only have about 2-3 cu.ft. advantage in terms of cargo behind the rear seats.

$2000 less on the MSRP of the RVR would make it a very good proposition in this new segment IMO.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 06:21:45 pm by carcrazy »

Roy

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2010, 06:31:17 pm »
I don't think you can get Manual/AWD in any new small CUVs (Juke, Tucson, Sportage, RVR). Forester is the only CUV choice with that combination.

You can get the Sportage LX AWD in Manual, its MSRP is $26,795.

Looking at the What's New for Kia Sportage report today it appears that they have dropped that particular combo?

Oh? Do you have a link? That combo is still available on kia.ca's Price Your Kia tool. That said, it wouldn't be surprising as manuals just don't sell at all in CUVs.

Guests aren't allowed to post links.  CanadianDriverDOTcom, scroll down to What's New Kia Sportage. Check out the description and pricing which shows the different trims.  But I guess the Kia website is straight from the horses mouth.

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2010, 07:49:41 pm »

Someone mentioned the SX4, I'll mention the Jeep Compass and Patriot. Granted they're SUVs, but based on a car platform and more fuel-efficient with the manual than the Subarus you talked about.

Except neither has AWD with a manual so not a clearcut comparison.  But in general the Sube's 2.5L blown or not are not renown for good fuel economy.
The Jeep twins come with AWD and 5 speed manual transmission.
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2010, 07:51:58 am »
I don't think you can get Manual/AWD in any new small CUVs (Juke, Tucson, Sportage, RVR). Forester is the only CUV choice with that combination.

You can get the Sportage LX AWD in Manual, its MSRP is $26,795.

Looking at the What's New for Kia Sportage report today it appears that they have dropped that particular combo?

Oh? Do you have a link? That combo is still available on kia.ca's Price Your Kia tool. That said, it wouldn't be surprising as manuals just don't sell at all in CUVs.

Guests aren't allowed to post links.  CanadianDriverDOTcom, scroll down to What's New Kia Sportage. Check out the description and pricing which shows the different trims.  But I guess the Kia website is straight from the horses mouth.

I think CD is in error here... on kia.ca, AWD is listed as an option for the LX, it's not a trim model per say. That might explain the error.

James, not sure who normally does this, but can you double-check this and update the Buyer's Guide to reflect this?

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2010, 08:42:31 am »
Check again Shnak, when you select AWD the transmission is greyed out and it says the following in the options list:
Additional Features for LX All Wheel Drive :
-
- Front wheel drive
- 16" alloy wheels
- 4-wheel disc brakes
- Anti-lock braking system (ABS)
- Electronic stability control (ESC)
- Traction control system (TCS)
- Hill assist control (HAC)
- Downhill brake control (DBC)
- Dual advanced front airbags
- Dual curtain side-impact airbags with roll-over sensor
- Dual front seat-mounted side-impact airbags
- Anti-whiplash active front headrests
- Air conditioning
- 6-speaker AM/FM/CD/MP3 stereo
- Ipod®-ready AUX and USB ports
- Sirius® satellite radio (includes 3 month trial)¹
- Steering wheel-mounted audio controls
- Bluetooth® hands-free cell phone capability²
- Heated front seats
- Steering wheel-mounted cruise control
- Power door locks
- Remote keyless entry with panic function
- Power windows
- Heated power side mirrors
- Side mirror integrated turn signals
- Deep tint privacy glass
- Fog lights
- Auto light control
- Front windshield wiper de-icer
- Trip computer
- All-wheel drive
- 6-speed Steptronic gated automatic transmission
- ECO-Minder™ indicator
- Rear parking sonar
- Roof rails
- Illuminated vanity mirror

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2010, 09:41:17 am »
That's odd. Look at the image I attached. You would think that once you select AWD as an option, it would automatically change the transmission to Automatic and then gray it out. As it is, it leaves it to Manual and gray it out. Weird.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2010, 09:43:31 am »
Looking back at the list of features you posted, how well equipped is the LX AWD for $26,795?! It pretty much has all of my must haves for a vehicle. Now, if they could only swap the engine with the DI from the new Sonata...  ;D

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2010, 10:16:25 am »
Not bad at all. It would check all my "must have" boxes except for leather steering wheel and geat knob.
It seems like BT is not standard on the Sportage.

priggly

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2010, 10:47:25 am »
The new Mitsubishi RVR (Outlander Sport stateside) has an awful lot of things to like about it:  8.5" ground clearance,
low-bean xenons, huge see-through roof, Rockford Fosgate killer stereo, right size and maneuverability, great seats, Bluetooth, AWD, heated front seats, automatic climate control, Sirius satellite radio . . .  the list goes on.

Unfortunately, it has two fatal flaws and when combined they totally kill the car.  I drove several and try as i might I could not get past that absolutely horrible CVT and noisy underpowered engine.  Either by itself is terrible, together they are terminal.  The CVT is slow and noisy, likewise the engine.  The 0-60 mph time is a whopping 12 seconds, slowest in its class, and while you are enduring it there is the ever-present drone of the CVT.  Whatever slight mileage improvement you get from this monster of a transmission is more than offset by its technical shortcomings.  Personally, I think it is cheaper to build which is why it's appearing in more cars.  And the engine is just too underpowered for the size of the car, especially in AWD which is a necessity in much of this country, especially in winter.  And climbing hills, don't even try . . . !

Mitsubishi could have hit this one out of the ball park.  Instead, they lobbed it out to between 1st and 2nd base and the game was already over before it began.

Too bad.  Really too bad.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 10:48:57 am by priggly »

tim

« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2010, 11:03:58 am »
I want to like the RVR too...I sat in it yesterday and my head was touching the roof (6"1). Too bad, it's a nice suv.

Actually I test drove more than 7 cars yesterday and the one that stood out was the CR-V. I thought I would like the Forester but man was I wrong, the interior was awful and the drive was noisy. The X3 was a joke, tested the 2010, bad interior, expensive and not as good as I thought it would be given the price. Again, wanted to like the outlander but why does the V6 require premium fuel...again deal breaker. Didn't like the RAV4, for the price you pay, you get hardly any options...34k and still no leather wheel?? loved the Q5 but theres a five month wait for it..to me it looks to be the segment leader for a compact SUV

The CR-V by far was the standout of the group other than the Q5 but with the 2012 redesign around the corner, waiting may be the best move.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 11:06:53 am by tim »

priggly

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2010, 12:35:11 pm »
I want to like the RVR too...I sat in it yesterday and my head was touching the roof (6"1). Too bad, it's a nice suv.

Actually I test drove more than 7 cars yesterday and the one that stood out was the CR-V. I thought I would like the Forester but man was I wrong, the interior was awful and the drive was noisy. The X3 was a joke, tested the 2010, bad interior, expensive and not as good as I thought it would be given the price. Again, wanted to like the outlander but why does the V6 require premium fuel...again deal breaker. Didn't like the RAV4, for the price you pay, you get hardly any options...34k and still no leather wheel?? loved the Q5 but theres a five month wait for it..to me it looks to be the segment leader for a compact SUV

The CR-V by far was the standout of the group other than the Q5 but with the 2012 redesign around the corner, waiting may be the best move.

Wait for the 2011 X3 which is coming out at the end of Dec. or in Jan.  It is new from the ground up and will put away virtually all others, it is that good.  The CR-V has a horrible AWD system, not competent.  The Forester is crude and noisy and Subaru is going downhill just like Toyota.  AVOID all their cars unless you are a masochist.

Wait for the new X3 and whatever you do, do check out the new 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee which is also new from the ground up, has new-found reliability, incredible creature comforts, the best AWD system on the market, a beautiful and quiet interior (64 dB at 70 mph cruising on the highway, the same as the new Rolls-Royce Ghost!).  The car also has a touch of Italian flare from Fiat.  I have driven 6 or 7 by now and have ordered one.  It is a fine, and I do mean FINE, piece of work.

For those who bleat that the Jeeps have a history of unreliability, that was true of the old ones.  The new one is just as reliable as the very best on the road!  Check it out!  You will be amazed.  I was.

Did I mention it has a top-or-the-line Alpine audio system, Garmin's latest NAV unit, heated and cooled seats and a heated steering wheel, memory seats, etc.  A fine piece of work indeed and it will go as happily on the road as up Moab.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2010, 09:03:50 am »
The CR-V has a horrible AWD system, not competent.

While maybe not the best, it's far from being incompetent system. To get you moving on snow and ice, it's just fine. I know, I had an old CR-V for a while and enjoyed driving it in the winter tremendously.

Roy

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2010, 11:45:43 am »
...wanted to like the outlander but why does the V6 require premium fuel...again deal breaker...

There is/was some debate in the Outlander forums about whether it is 'required' vs 'recommended'.  At one point in time the conclusion was that it was 'recommended' so that you could squeeze out the extra 10hp from the previous 220hp rating, but would run fine on regular.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2010, 01:56:07 pm »

Wait for the 2011 X3 which is coming out at the end of Dec. or in Jan.  It is new from the ground up and will put away virtually all others, it is that good.  The CR-V has a horrible AWD system, not competent.  The Forester is crude and noisy and Subaru is going downhill just like Toyota.  AVOID all their cars unless you are a masochist.

Wait for the new X3 and whatever you do, do check out the new 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee which is also new from the ground up, has new-found reliability, incredible creature comforts, the best AWD system on the market, a beautiful and quiet interior (64 dB at 70 mph cruising on the highway, the same as the new Rolls-Royce Ghost!).  The car also has a touch of Italian flare from Fiat.  I have driven 6 or 7 by now and have ordered one.  It is a fine, and I do mean FINE, piece of work.

For those who bleat that the Jeeps have a history of unreliability, that was true of the old ones.  The new one is just as reliable as the very best on the road!  Check it out!  You will be amazed.  I was.

Did I mention it has a top-or-the-line Alpine audio system, Garmin's latest NAV unit, heated and cooled seats and a heated steering wheel, memory seats, etc.  A fine piece of work indeed and it will go as happily on the road as up Moab.

Wow, work for Jeep or something? How do you know it's reliable, they have been on the road for a month...shouldn't that be determined after a few years? And looking back, Jeep doesn't have a great track record. It does look good, but its also not cheap and still manages to suck up quite a bit of fuel compared to smaller, more manageable 4-cylinder models.

To the OP, did you just try the RVR or did you also try the bigger Mitsu, the Outlander? If you liked the RVR it might offer some of the same features but a little more space. I know driving a co-workers late-model Outlander I was impressed by the nimble nature of the vehicle, with direct steering and good sense of balance and control.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2010, 01:57:50 pm »
The new Mitsubishi RVR (Outlander Sport stateside) has an awful lot of things to like about it:  8.5" ground clearance,
low-bean xenons, huge see-through roof, Rockford Fosgate killer stereo, right size and maneuverability, great seats, Bluetooth, AWD, heated front seats, automatic climate control, Sirius satellite radio . . .  the list goes on.

Unfortunately, it has two fatal flaws and when combined they totally kill the car.  I drove several and try as i might I could not get past that absolutely horrible CVT and noisy underpowered engine.  Either by itself is terrible, together they are terminal.  The CVT is slow and noisy, likewise the engine.  The 0-60 mph time is a whopping 12 seconds, slowest in its class, and while you are enduring it there is the ever-present drone of the CVT.  Whatever slight mileage improvement you get from this monster of a transmission is more than offset by its technical shortcomings.  Personally, I think it is cheaper to build which is why it's appearing in more cars.  And the engine is just too underpowered for the size of the car, especially in AWD which is a necessity in much of this country, especially in winter.  And climbing hills, don't even try . . . !

Mitsubishi could have hit this one out of the ball park.  Instead, they lobbed it out to between 1st and 2nd base and the game was already over before it began.

Too bad.  Really too bad.

I dunno, a lot of people bought Calibers and they suffered severely from both of your chief complaints...but coming from Mitsubishi, I am a little surprised at the dearth of excitement under the hood. Perhaps a 'sport model' is on the way.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2010, 02:01:06 pm »

While maybe not the best, it's far from being incompetent system. To get you moving on snow and ice, it's just fine. I know, I had an old CR-V for a while and enjoyed driving it in the winter tremendously.

Does it still use the 90%/10% arangement until wheels slip?

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2010, 02:36:08 pm »

No clue, I haven't kept up with the CR-V. I know my Sportage is 99%/1% until slippage is detected. And it works perfectly for moving around on snow and ice. And of course, I can lock it in 4WD (up to 50kph I believe), and disable ESC if I wish. Would I prefer a more permanent AWD system such as Subaru's system, sure, but the system in the Sportage is certainly more than adequate for mostly city driving.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2010, 03:37:24 pm »

No clue, I haven't kept up with the CR-V. I know my Sportage is 99%/1% until slippage is detected. And it works perfectly for moving around on snow and ice. And of course, I can lock it in 4WD (up to 50kph I believe), and disable ESC if I wish. Would I prefer a more permanent AWD system such as Subaru's system, sure, but the system in the Sportage is certainly more than adequate for mostly city driving.

AWD only works on snow and ice if you actually use snow tires, and most people who go to the expense of buying and maintaining an AWD vehicle don't think it's necessary...hence why I find it entertaining carving around all the sliding 4x4's in my lowly hatchback with snow tires.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2010, 04:17:41 pm »

AWD only works on snow and ice if you actually use snow tires, and most people who go to the expense of buying and maintaining an AWD vehicle don't think it's necessary...hence why I find it entertaining carving around all the sliding 4x4's in my lowly hatchback with snow tires.

I have no idea how that has anything to do with any of what I said.  ???