Author Topic: First Drive: 2011 Mitsubishi RVR  (Read 26861 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2011 Mitsubishi RVR
« on: November 16, 2010, 03:05:08 am »

"Smaller, lighter and more nimble" than Mitsubishi's Outlander on which it is based, the new RVR is "fun to drive" but the combination of its 2.0-litre engine and optional continuously variable transmission "let it down," he reports.

Read More...

DaveH

Re: First Drive: 2011 Mitsubishi RVR
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 05:29:13 am »
"This is actually the third generation RVR offered to consumers worldwide, but the first of its kind in Canada"

The RVR has been offered here in Canada as the Eagle Summit Wagon and it's Chrysler buddies. US has had it under the Mitsubshi Expo LRV moniker.

I've owned two of these in the past and they were ahead of their time in 1992.  I wished that we had the EVO version available here.  :(

As for this one.  Dunno what segment it's trying to hit but I would pass on this in a big way.  Too pricey.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 05:49:50 am by DaveH »

Roy

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 09:00:00 am »
.... I would pass on this in a big way.  Too pricey.

Funny - we were talking about this at the office the other day.  CdnDrvr had a 2011 sampling of Doddge vehicles and a fully loaded Grand Caravan w/the infamous stow 'n go is the same price as the RVR GT.  Shows how cold and hot trends affect price.

$28k for a powertrain worthy of the $14k segment?  Even as a current Mitsu owner and I find the RVR to be way overpriced for what it is.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 09:14:12 am »
Ugh. A CVT ruining another otherwise interesting vehicle.  :-\

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 09:18:09 am »
Saw one of these this morning.

Really like this vehicle, size, and the options/packaging. However, wish it was about $2,000 less expensive and I'd want a manual with the AWD. I'm going to go have a look-see at the dealer soon.
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Roy

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 09:54:30 am »
I'd want a manual with the AWD.

Currently I think the only sub-25/30K cars that offer a manual with AWD is the Impreza and Legacy.

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 10:07:42 am »

Currently I think the only sub-25/30K cars that offer a manual with AWD is the Impreza and Legacy.

The Suzuki SX4 JX comes with AWD and a manual. Starts at $20,295

dragonflyjack

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 10:27:55 am »
 If I'm not mistaken, both Kia and Hyundai's small SUVs come standard in the lower price range with 6 speed standards .
 Not too long ago you could get AWD with a standard, but I believe they dropped that option.  I'm not sure of the pricing on these two vehicles, but I believe it's well below 25 Gs...and, I believe they both have much more HP and maybe even better MPG figures...certainly they are very attractive cars...Check em out   dragonfly

Offline AirCanada

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Mitsubishi Galant ES, 2010 Mitsubishi Endeavour LS
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 10:39:30 am »
I really like the RVR, I would stick with the SE 2WD with manual transmission. Looks like a lot of value for $21,998 (heated front seats, ABS, traction control, hill start assist, bluetooth). And it has a great warranty. I don't think the competition matches it.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 10:47:48 am »
I don't think you can get Manual/AWD in any new small CUVs (Juke, Tucson, Sportage, RVR). Forester is the only CUV choice with that combination.

I too think it's about $2000 too expensive and I hate that the glass roof and upgraded sound system are not sold as a separate package. Maybe the future rebates will correct that.

The US SE AWD trim is perfect IMO and that would make sense for about $25K here (basically a GT without glass roof and upgraded sound).

Being familiar with the recent Mitsu products, I noticed a significant improvement in material grade and build quality on this car; closing the gap even more with the top offerings. There is still room for improvement though especially with the little details.

Few small things I dislike: on the GT model with Start button, the steering wheel columns cover has the hole for the key covered with a plastic cap, no lining on the door grabs (easy fix), the rear door panels are hard plastic versus soft-touch/fabric combination on the front, no bottle holder on the rear doors.

The biggest dislikes: the CVT and the lack of the 2.4L I4 option.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 10:52:41 am by carcrazy »

gta_driver

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 11:11:55 am »
Interesting vehicle, but I'm leery of Mitsubishi based on both my neighbour and uncle's experience with getting basic warranty work done on their respective Lancer and Outlander. It seems they always need to escalate things to customer service/Canada headquarters. Dealers always either refuse or tell them its not covered (when in fact it is) or they have to pay up front and then get a reimbursement. This is at two different dealers in two different provinces. That and the fact that Mitsubishi does not participate in CAMVAP makes me think twice.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 11:19:31 am »
I don't think you can get Manual/AWD in any new small CUVs (Juke, Tucson, Sportage, RVR). Forester is the only CUV choice with that combination.

You can get the Sportage LX AWD in Manual, its MSRP is $26,795.

Sival

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 11:19:43 am »

Someone mentioned the SX4, I'll mention the Jeep Compass and Patriot. Granted they're SUVs, but based on a car platform and more fuel-efficient with the manual than the Subarus you talked about.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 11:29:46 am »

You are right. I stand corrected.

Roy

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 01:26:40 pm »

You are right. I stand corrected.

Yeah - me too.

Roy

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 01:28:44 pm »

Someone mentioned the SX4, I'll mention the Jeep Compass and Patriot. Granted they're SUVs, but based on a car platform and more fuel-efficient with the manual than the Subarus you talked about.

Except neither has AWD with a manual so not a clearcut comparison.  But in general the Sube's 2.5L blown or not are not renown for good fuel economy.

Roy

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2010, 01:31:37 pm »

Looking at the What's New for Kia Sportage report today it appears that they have dropped that particular combo?

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2010, 01:37:17 pm »

Looking at the What's New for Kia Sportage report today it appears that they have dropped that particular combo?

Oh? Do you have a link? That combo is still available on kia.ca's Price Your Kia tool. That said, it wouldn't be surprising as manuals just don't sell at all in CUVs.

John MacDonald

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2010, 01:52:04 pm »
That engine is too weak for the segment I think.  Sure it competes okay against the Cube and Soul but is lost when you go up a notch to the Juke, Tucson, CRV, etc.  Add in that the CVT is your only option with AWD and you have a losing combination.  So many people (including myself) hate CVT's and they really don't make that much of a difference for fuel economy.  There are a bunch of ways to make a vehicle more fuel efficient and not affect it's drivability.  I will say that I do like the look of this vehicle and the inside seems nice enough. 

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2010, 03:28:37 pm »
Ugh. A CVT ruining another otherwise interesting vehicle.  :-\

:iagree:
Have Car......Will Travel