Author Topic: First Drive: 2011 Chrysler 200  (Read 27362 times)

Sival

Re: First Drive: 2011 Chrysler 200
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2010, 01:12:29 pm »
First of all, I like the looks of this car. Then again, I didn't hate the Sebring's look like many people, I did think it looked a bit rough or unfinished, but I thought it wouldn't look bad with a bit more work.

Second, are these fuel consumption figures for the 4-cylinder/6-speed really correct? 10,5/6,4 is just plain awful, overall it's worse than the 4-speed version. OK, it seems they have favored acceleration over fuel economy if the car really is 11% faster as they claim, but people don't generally buy midsize sedans with 4-cylinder engines for performance. If they wanted to go fast, they'd go for the V6 (which fuel economy isn't that much worse). They should have done like GM with the Malibu and programmed the transmission for fuel economy first.

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2010, 03:10:05 pm »
Pretty bad fuel eco... they might want to step it up if there's a reason to buy this car beside it's american.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2010, 04:27:32 pm »
Wait a minute....Chrysler makes cars?.....who knew :o
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

albert

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2010, 07:47:13 pm »
it looks like it copied KIA K7 almost exactly.

Also, looks like Subaru at the back...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2010, 07:50:56 pm »
Wait a minute....Chrysler makes cars?.....who knew :o

Yea, they do.  But they mostly suck.   ;D
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Smiley

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2010, 10:29:20 pm »
My bets are that the only people that buy this thing are private investigators that want to go about their business being totally ignored. The styling will attract no one - it won't matter if it has a nice interior if the exterior catches absolutely nobody's eye.

I don't think Fiat can save Chrysler. They've gone so far down the crapper I don't think a plumber could get them out.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2010, 10:30:02 pm »
I spotted this in the "Feature Availability" pdf: 2.4L DOHC 16V I-4 World Engine — 6-speed dual dry clutch automatic (late availability).  I wonder what that might be?
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2010, 10:30:35 pm »
I spotted this in the "Feature Availability" pdf: 2.4L DOHC 16V I-4 World Engine — 6-speed dual dry clutch automatic (late availability).  I wonder what that might be?
Seriously?  It sounds like a DSG-type tranny...

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2010, 10:31:46 pm »
Seriously?  It sounds like a DSG-type tranny...

Yep.  On Page 3. http://www.media.chrysler.com/dcxms/assets/specs/2011_CH_200_Feature_Avail.pdf

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2010, 12:57:04 am »
Some have tried to point it out... but many other seem to have missed it.

This is a mid model refresh of the Chrysler Sebring. It's not a total redesign... It's just a way to make a absolutely horrible car into a mediocre one with some value attached so they can credibly sell *something* (anything!) for a few more years until a brand new car can be developed. And the name change is so that people can erase their memories of that horrible car they used to sell.

Fiat's been at this over a year now... and it takes 3-4 years to turn any sort of model around. So we're not going to be able to tell what Fiat's true influence and platform/technology sharing will be until at least the end of next year. So if you were faced with the option of leaving the current Sebring on the market for a few more years or putting together a semi-credible effort to tide things over until the real redesign can come... the choice is obvious.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2010, 07:50:06 am »
Some have tried to point it out... but many other seem to have missed it.

This is a mid model refresh of the Chrysler Sebring. It's not a total redesign... It's just a way to make a absolutely horrible car into a mediocre one with some value attached so they can credibly sell *something* (anything!) for a few more years until a brand new car can be developed. And the name change is so that people can erase their memories of that horrible car they used to sell.

Fiat's been at this over a year now... and it takes 3-4 years to turn any sort of model around. So we're not going to be able to tell what Fiat's true influence and platform/technology sharing will be until at least the end of next year. So if you were faced with the option of leaving the current Sebring on the market for a few more years or putting together a semi-credible effort to tide things over until the real redesign can come... the choice is obvious.

When's the last time you saw a car receiving a mid-cycle refresh along with a new name? I can't recall of this ever hapenning. If that's not attempting to trick a few buyers into buying the sell the same crap under a new name, I don't know what is. They should've been honest and keep the Sebring name until a new from the ground up 200 was ready for production.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2010, 08:45:23 am »
Ford 500 ---> Taurus, Freestyle --> Taurus X

Pontiac Pursuit --> G5

I think it's a great idea for Chrysler to change the name to the 200.   The Sebring nameplate was dead and won't be missed.  If leads to a few extra sales,  good for Chrysler - the really really need them.

Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2010, 08:53:12 am »
When's the last time you saw a car receiving a mid-cycle refresh along with a new name? I can't recall of this ever hapenning. If that's not attempting to trick a few buyers into buying the sell the same crap under a new name, I don't know what is. They should've been honest and keep the Sebring name until a new from the ground up 200 was ready for production.

I was going to suggest the Golf>Rabbit>Golf, but I think that name change coincided with new generations.

Read this link and tell me that the 200 is the same crap under a new name.
http://media.chrysler.com/newsrelease.do?id=10293&fIId=10252&mid=289

It looks to me like they're making the effort required to make the 200 a good car.  I'll reserve final judgement until I drive one, however.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2010, 09:08:00 am »

Pontiac Pursuit --> G5

I think it's a great idea for Chrysler to change the name to the 200.   The Sebring nameplate was dead and won't be missed.  If leads to a few extra sales,  good for Chrysler - the really really need them.

Good examples, but different IMO.

In the 500's case, Ford went from new nameplates nobody knew to something people knew (Taurus), probably to bring back memories of how appreciated the Taurus was like 10 years ago.

Similar with the Pursuit... it's a new name and they changed it to another new name, no harm done.

In the Sebring->200's case, they're doing so to hide the ugly past of the Sebring. Many people will go in the store and think the 200 is this brand new car that has nothing to do with the Sebring, even though it pretty much looks exactly the same.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2010, 09:11:28 am »
Can you blame them for wanting to hide the Sebrings past?

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2010, 09:26:23 am »
I don't get the hate for the Sebring or Avenger.  :think:

I've had a few 3.5l V6 ones as rentals, and aside from the Tupperware interior, I had no complaints. They had decent fuel economy and power, and fairly nondescript handling. They didn't really elicit any sort of strong feelings from me at all.

The 200 seems to have addressed the interior, and the exterior styling has been toned down. Pretty good for a refresh.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2010, 09:35:37 am »

Pontiac Pursuit --> G5

Good examples, but different IMO.

In the 500's case, Ford went from new nameplates nobody knew to something people knew (Taurus), probably to bring back memories of how appreciated the Taurus was like 10 years ago.

Similar with the Pursuit... it's a new name and they changed it to another new name, no harm done.

In the Sebring->200's case, they're doing so to hide the ugly past of the Sebring. Many people will go in the store and think the 200 is this brand new car that has nothing to do with the Sebring, even though it pretty much looks exactly the same.

Not Quite, the Ford Fivehundred is the exact same thing.  Ford used a historic old name from it's past 'Fivehundred' (spelt not numbered) and slapped it on a boring, slow, unattractive car.  It didn't sell at all so Ford grabbed a familar name, refreshed the car inside and out and installed new engines.

What exactly is Chrysler doing differently other then using a name associated with a hot seller (200 > 300) as opposed to a name that used to be a hot seller?

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2010, 09:42:47 am »

I was going to suggest the Golf>Rabbit>Golf, but I think that name change coincided with new generations.

It looks to me like they're making the effort required to make the 200 a good car.  I'll reserve final judgement until I drive one, however.

It's funny how everywhere in that news release they mention how this or that is improved or retuned, but never mention from what it's improved or retuned. They never say the word 'Sebring' once. They want us to believe it's a brand new car by calling it the 200 instead of Sebring, but then you read their news release and other than the new V6 and 6-speed transmission, most of it is improved or retuned. You'd think they would mention that it's the new Sebring if they were proud of the Sebring at all. Since they don't, there's no question they're trying to hide the fact that it is a Sebring. It is what it is...

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2010, 10:00:56 am »

It's funny how everywhere in that news release they mention how this or that is improved or retuned, but never mention from what it's improved or retuned. They never say the word 'Sebring' once. They want us to believe it's a brand new car by calling it the 200 instead of Sebring, but then you read their news release and other than the new V6 and 6-speed transmission, most of it is improved or retuned. You'd think they would mention that it's the new Sebring if they were proud of the Sebring at all. Since they don't, there's no question they're trying to hide the fact that it is a Sebring. It is what it is...

Earth to Hyundai Fanboy.....move on.  Everyone else has. 

Fortune favours the bold!

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2010, 10:21:46 am »

I get the impression you'd like to arrest Chrysler execs and charge them criminally.  Get over it.  Really.