Author Topic: Unintended acceleration isn't so bad  (Read 958 times)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Unintended acceleration isn't so bad
« on: November 12, 2010, 09:55:40 am »
So I'm driving my 911 a bit before the snow flies and decided to take it to work last night.  This morning I start it to warm it up and clear the windows and then I went back inside, after a few minutes I go back out and notice it's idling kind of high, hit the throttle and it settles down somewhat. (shoulda clued in)

I put it in gear and proceed to drive away and the throttle sticks, I automatically give it a kick, now it's stuck wide open and I'm tearing across the parking lot spinning tires wildly and bouncing off the rev limiter, as much fun as that is, I kick at the throttle again and it now comes back to idle.  Idle it out of the parking lot, (hoping management wasn't looking out the window) get outside the gates and shut it down and open the hood. Sure enough the linkage is jamming somehow and very stiff, perhaps a bad bushing or something, but I still have to get home.

So I start the car again and drive off very slowly, tap the throttle so that it's "idling" at about 4000rpm and proceed the 30km or so home.  Had to shut it down a couple of times and ride the brakes occasionally but drove the 401 "idling" at 120kph. 

Was also a little dicey getting it across the wet grass and into the garage at home, made it ok though.   I think I'll take off the insurance and just store it, too cold for it now anyhow.  Hopefully I don't have to drop the engine to get at the throttle linkage, it's in a bugger of a spot.

If it were a Toyota I'd have had to phone 911. ;D
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 09:57:36 am by blur911 »
Mr Pickypants

vdk

Re: Unintended acceleration isn't so bad
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 10:26:25 am »
Idle it out of the parking lot, (hoping management wasn't looking out the window) get outside the gates and shut it down and open the hood.

:ttiwwp:

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 11:31:47 am »
I used WD40 when my Nissan's throttle needed some lube.

If you had a new drive by wire Toyota, you would call a lawyer.  :)

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 08:38:59 pm »
Much easier than chasing electronic ghosts....but probably more failure prone than DBW.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 08:44:15 pm »
Same thing happened to my '75 Beetle.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson