Author Topic: What would you have done?  (Read 4026 times)

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
What would you have done?
« on: November 06, 2010, 03:28:45 pm »
I was parked at a strip mall the other day when an elderly lady driving a late-model Honda Accord pulled out of the stall next to me. She turned out too sharply and I heard and felt a thump. I got out of the car and stopped her, telling the bewildered-looking old girl she had just hit my car and that she needed to stay there while I had a look at the damage, which amounted to a few small scrapes on the lower rear bumper just aft of the wheelwell. I didn't think the damage was worth going through the hassle of dealing with insurance and all so I told the lady to forget it. I fixed the damage with some touch-up paint and it's pretty much invisible now. What would you have done?

PS - I noticed that the old dear's Accord had paint scrapes on both ends of the front bumper, so she'd obviously had a few close encounters before.  ::)
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
Re: What would you have done?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 05:04:08 pm »
Get her info...go to a body shop, get an estimate. Call her, demand the payment...then fix it myself, and pocket the money. :)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 05:40:28 pm »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Blue01

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +13/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 05:51:28 pm »

Exactly what you did.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 05:57:05 pm »
I think I would have done the same, with the added suggestion that she give up her license.  That could be a kid next time...

As a side note, all the elderly folks in my neighbourhood drive Camrys and Buicks.  Accord?  How strange.   ;D   

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 05:58:15 pm »
Yeah, I would have pretty much done the same thing.  Some things aren't worth fighting about.

My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 09:05:21 pm »
I think I would have done the same, with the added suggestion that she give up her license.  That could be a kid next time...

As a side note, all the elderly folks in my neighbourhood drive Camrys and Buicks.  Accord?  How strange.   ;D   

I thought about that, but it wouldn't have done much good. Having been there and done that twice now, with my mother and my father-in-law, I know that most elderly folks don't take kindly to that 'suggestion'.

What's strange? The Accord's pretty much just a Japanese Buick anyway. They're quite popular with elderly folks here.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 09:19:59 pm »
My first car (a Datsun 510) I bought from a 90+ year old gentlemen who had turned in his license himself. But he just didn't have scrapes on it, every corner had pretty good dings.

He'd been parking by feel for some time.

Mobility means a lot to the elderly. I couldn't drive this time last year with a busted shoulder, and town suddenly was big and inconvenient.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 10:06:25 pm »
I'd make the authorities aware of this person's poor driving.  If the result was her losing her license, mission accomplished.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 10:21:59 pm »
I'd make the authorities aware of this person's poor driving.  If the result was her losing her license, mission accomplished.

Man, I wish it was that easy. The authorities around here either don't care or they just don't give this kind of thing any priority. Either way, you almost have to pull teeth to get these people moving. It took over six months of filling in forms and making repeated phone calls to even get a response from the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles about my father-in-law, and then they told us they lost the paperwork!  >:(
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 02:14:47 am by Schmengie »

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 12:38:23 am »
In New Brunswick, it was almost impossible for the police to take a senior's license. The only way it could realistically be done was with a doctor's note saying the person was no longer fit to drive. Many doctor's simply didn't want to do that, or were unaware of the situation.

My grandmother had a few minor accidents (hitting her garage, rear ending another car) before she finally decided to give it up voluntarily.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 01:01:14 am »
I'd make the authorities aware of this person's poor driving.

It would be a very busy day...every day...if I did that after the drive to and from work.
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 05:43:04 am »
In New Brunswick, it was almost impossible for the police to take a senior's license. The only way it could realistically be done was with a doctor's note saying the person was no longer fit to drive. Many doctor's simply didn't want to do that, or were unaware of the situation.

My grandmother had a few minor accidents (hitting her garage, rear ending another car) before she finally decided to give it up voluntarily.

In Ontario the police can do it, they took my father's license
Did you know a doctor can put a person on Alzheimer med and not take their License ::)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 08:55:49 am »
..i thought after 75 or is it 80 years of age you have to be RE_TESTED analy ANNUALLY as in a DRIVING EXAM......sight....road test etc........yes i know some of U 23 year olds WOULD FAIL ;D...but a case by case re testing seems reasonable as does the ability of your physician to inform the authorities you no longer are fit to drive.......Vision/Meds/fainting being some criteria.....................some may get thru the cracks ..some may be driving on CRACK.... :stick:...snort   snort !!!!! ;)..................
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 09:04:25 am »
..i thought after 75 or is it 80 years of age you have to be RE_TESTED as in a DRIVING EXAM......sight....road test etc........yes i know some of U 23 year olds WOULD FAIL ;D...but a case by case re testing seems reasonable as does the ability of your physician to inform the authorities you no longer are fit to drive.......Vision/Meds/fainting being some criteria.....................some may get thru the cracks ..some may be driving on CRACK.... :stick:...snort   snort !!!!! ;)

In Ontario, it is 80, it is a writen test first, if you do not pass that then it is a driven test
My father was 79 when he lost his license, he went for a drive around the block and was missing for 12 hours

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2010, 09:17:42 am »
In New Brunswick, it was almost impossible for the police to take a senior's license.

Its not just seniors. On a drive yesterday to warm up the lubes for an oil change, two drivers coasted at 20 clicks through stops signs...both were well under 40...both were from the same ethnic background (just an observation).

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2010, 09:25:06 am »
Get her info and give her the choice between meeting me at the bodyshop of my choice to arrange to pay for the damage or that I can report it to insurance. No way am I paying for it myself. There could be hidden damage (even if its just broken clips)

As far as the elderly person liscence a parking lot scrape wouldn't be enough evidence for me to take any action (regardless of the fact I agree I would suspect that this was not their first incident)

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2010, 09:55:20 am »
In Ontario, it is 80, it is a writen test first, if you do not pass that then it is a driven test

Apparently it's not uncommon for the test official to coach the old farts into passing the written test.  >:(

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1206
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2010, 09:58:37 am »

Offline cparsons

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2010, 10:20:13 am »

Exactly what you did.

Me too.

Yep....and to the people who's responses were a little more, um, harsh. Ever hear of karma?..... ;D
CP
Kitchener, Ontario
06 Pontiac G6 GT 180k km - 5W30 PP - WIX
06 Pontiac G5 GT 90k km - 5W30 PP - WIX