Author Topic: Ah, Peace and Quiet  (Read 2325 times)

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
Ah, Peace and Quiet
« on: October 31, 2010, 02:43:05 pm »
Got the snows on, now all is quite compared to the summer tires.  Should get better mileage too!
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline dash

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Acura RLX hybrid
Re: Ah, Peace and Quiet
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 02:51:17 pm »
huh? normally winters are noisier (mine certainly are). You got some explaining to do!
"Why be quiet, and thought a fool, when you can speak up and remove all doubt"

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 03:03:41 pm »
huh? normally winters are noisier (mine certainly are). You got some explaining to do!

I run General Grabber AT2's as my "summer" tire.  They are in fact an all-terrain tire that is fine until temps drop to about -5 or so, then they turn to hockey pucks.

The winters are Blizzak™ WS60's, much less aggressive tread design.

The Grabbers would be a good all year tire if they did better on ice/packed snow.

Offline dash

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Acura RLX hybrid
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 03:24:13 pm »
my car centric thinking, you statement makes sense now, conversely, I look forward to changing the winters to summers tires, I dislike all that extra tire noise, saftey trumps noise. 

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 03:48:28 pm »
Our Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2's on the TSX are generally quiet, except they make a "whirring" sound when slowing down to a stop. The Bridgestone LM-25 RFT winters on the 330i are really quiet also.

vdk

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 04:07:28 pm »
Speaking of which... I need new winters.  :-[

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 04:11:42 pm »

New car...new winters. ;D

Offline davidy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 04:15:39 pm »
Trainman,

How do you like the General Grabber AT2?Is yours P- or LT-rated?

Looking to replace my stock Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires on my Ranger 4x4 in the next year or two. Kumho or Marshal Road Venture AT (KL78) or the Firestone Destination A/T are the leading all terrain tire candidates. Not sure if they will be P- or LT-rated (245/75-16) though.

Are you still happy with your studded General Altimax Arctics? Mine were just put on a couple of weeks ago.

Dave
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 04:17:28 pm by davidy »
2010 Ford Ranger FX4
Armaguard spray on liner
Truxedo Low Pro QT tonneau cover
Studded General Altimax Arctic P245/75-16 winter tires on black steelies

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 05:03:18 pm »
My 205/55-16 winters are far quieter than the 225/40-18 summers.  Some of which is the softer compound and taller sidewall and some is the 35 psi rather than 38 psi I suspect.   They do not seem to make any difference to the economy.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 05:08:06 pm »
Our Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2's on the TSX are generally quiet, except they make a "whirring" sound when slowing down to a stop. The Bridgestone LM-25 RFT winters on the 330i are really quiet also.

I have Sumitomo HTRs that also make the 'whirring' sound when slowing to a stop.  Any idea what causes this?

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 05:50:08 pm »

Me too.  I have two cars to re-shoe. 

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 07:43:49 pm »

I have Sumitomo HTRs that also make the 'whirring' sound when slowing to a stop.  Any idea what causes this?
I think most tires with an open block tread design with mobile tread elements will rumble or whir as you come to a stop.  The engineer in me says that it's the tread blocks pushing against the direction of tire rotation as deceleration forces press them in the opposite direction from the one that they're acoustically optimized for.  Simply put the tire is quieter when positive acceleration is applied in its normal direction of rotation.  It gets louder as you decelerate against that motion.

I could be wrong, but IIRC there's a bona fide tire engineer lurking on this forum somewhere....

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 11:00:49 pm »
Trainman,

How do you like the General Grabber AT2?Is yours P- or LT-rated?

Looking to replace my stock Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires on my Ranger 4x4 in the next year or two. Kumho or Marshal Road Venture AT (KL78) or the Firestone Destination A/T are the leading all terrain tire candidates. Not sure if they will be P- or LT-rated (245/75-16) though.

Are you still happy with your studded General Altimax Arctics? Mine were just put on a couple of weeks ago.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I am happy with the AT2's.  They are P rated, only M&S, not winter rated.  This is a limitation of the size available for the Forester.  Despite the reputation for Subaru's to eat up tires, they seem to be holding up well.  They are a bit rougher in riding than the snowies as well as being louder.  And fuel economy takes a hit, about 10% I would guess.  But they do what I need them to do.

Unless you really need a LT rated tire for the durability, I am not sure I would go that way after my experience with the Pathfinder.  Expensive, without much to show for that extra money.

The Arctic's are also doing well, but are noisier than the Blizzak's, as would be expected with studs.  But we need a good dump of snow to test them this year.

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 08:53:47 am »

I think most tires with an open block tread design with mobile tread elements will rumble or whir as you come to a stop.  The engineer in me says that it's the tread blocks pushing against the direction of tire rotation as deceleration forces press them in the opposite direction from the one that they're acoustically optimized for.  Simply put the tire is quieter when positive acceleration is applied in its normal direction of rotation.  It gets louder as you decelerate against that motion.

I could be wrong, but IIRC there's a bona fide tire engineer lurking on this forum somewhere....

Thank you for the explanation.  I've also used Goodyear Eagle GT tires that are sound-free by comparison. 

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 09:54:39 am »

I had the exact same tire on my old RX-8. They were quiet for the first half of their life then loud as loud can be for a tire. I sold the car when the Winter set were still on which were 1/2 as loud as the Summers.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Blue01

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +13/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2010, 06:25:20 pm »
My Fit came equiped with crap Dunlops, so noisy they drown out an 18-wheeler.
When I put the Michelin X-Ice on for winter, peace and quiet have returned.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2010, 06:28:32 pm »
My Fit came equiped with crap Dunlops, so noisy they drown out an 18-wheeler.
When I put the Michelin X-Ice on for winter, peace and quiet have returned.
The Blizzak WS60 on our Fit are quieter than the Dunlops it came on as well.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2010, 08:28:32 am »
GENERAL GRABBER....wasn't he just sent to Jail........................ :shuffle:
Time is to stop everything happening at once