Author Topic: TV Size?  (Read 8424 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: TV Size?
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2010, 10:32:02 pm »
OK, no more non-projector recommendations unless it's a good 100" one for less than $2K.

:P

For anything less than 100" screen size the seating distance just doesn't work.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2010, 06:47:26 am »
Saw this when I was reading something else, thought it might help (I didn't read it though).

http://www.canadahifi.com/Choosing-a-Projector-and-Screen.php

Cool, good link.  Although I don't think my missus will let me paint the ceiling black!  :rofl2:

Hmmm  I could paint my tv room black after the basement reno is done but my room is not as big as yours Bob. I sit 9 feet from a 46" tv which is close enough for me. After reading the start of this thread I measured it... never thought of it before.

Quad's article is interesting.  I can quite see that if one is building a system to watch movies that is quite a different thing from a system which will mostly  be used to watch the evening news and other SD/720p/1080i  broadcast signals that have been compressed as I do.

Full Disclosure:  I have not been to a real movie theatre since 1981 and lived with a SD tv and conventional DVD until recently ( still no BluRay)
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2010, 08:26:10 am »
Quad's article is interesting.  I can quite see that if one is building a system to watch movies that is quite a different thing from a system which will mostly  be used to watch the evening news and other SD/720p/1080i  broadcast signals that have been compressed as I do.

Its a big game game of compromises.  Cost, quality and WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor). Once you chart those three items you should know where to start looking.

Most people that run a projector in a non-dedicated theater room also have a second smaller monitor for watching regular stuff to keep the hours down on the projector's bulb. Some of the mid-higher end receivers or pre-processors have two HDMIs out, if not a simple HDMI switch will solve this problem.

In TB's situation, he is already setup for this with the current TV on the wall, just add a motorized screen and bingo, instant giant screen for the big games and movies. The kids are going to love Toy Story 3 on that 100" (or larger) screen.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2010, 10:39:45 am »
Yep, I think when this is installed we're going to be seeing a lot more of Elliot's friends!

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2010, 01:36:21 pm »
We just bought a projector for my wife to use at her school.  It's a Casio 2500 lumens unit + it uses an LED, a fluorescent light source and laser rather than a bulb.  Completely mercury free.  It has a 3 year warranty which includes the light source.  The light source has a projected (pardon the pun) lifetime of 20000 hours.

http://www.casio.com/products/Projectors/Green_Slim_Projectors/XJ-A240/

And it's bright!

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2010, 05:30:50 pm »
It's a Casio 2500 lumens unit + it uses an LED, a fluorescent light source and laser rather than a bulb.

That's interesting. My bulb lasted 1700 hrs, or about a year and a half. A free replacement came with the unit, but still, it's a substantial cost.

On the audio side, I just upgraded my satellite type Energy Take5 system to Polk Audio from Newegg.ca, and have been very impressed. Speakers are heavy and solid, fronts are over 30 lbs each. Even the center is a big boy:

Monitor 60's were $120.00 each on sale, CS1 series II (for center and surrounds), were $70.00 each. Next step up is the Monitor 70/CS2 system.

Almost half the price of my Take 5 system but much fuller sound.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2010, 07:12:30 am »
It's a Casio 2500 lumens unit + it uses an LED, a fluorescent light source and laser rather than a bulb.

LED bulbs are the next step for home projectors and will make a huge difference in operating costs. I think once this happens more people will start buying projectors.

On the audio side, I just upgraded my satellite type Energy Take5 system to Polk Audio from Newegg.ca, and have been very impressed. Speakers are heavy and solid, fronts are over 30 lbs each. Even the center is a big boy:

Nice setup but PLEASE get the centre channel off your Oppo player. Then get your sub off the stand, you are killing your player with vibrations.

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-68
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2010, 12:23:53 pm »
Yeah, and the Oppo on top of the receiver isn't a good idea either.  Those things create a crap load of heat, the 1/2 inch space isn't near enough.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2010, 03:39:02 pm »
Hey TB. Saw this on the Costco site today.

Denon AVR-591 $380 (currently $480 at FS and BB)
http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10342275&whse=BCCA&Ne=4000000&eCat=BCCA|79|80|2190&N=4008694&Mo=17&pos=0&No=12&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&cat=2190&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-CA&Sp=C&ec=BCCA-EC13328-Cat80&topnav=

A lot of good features for the money:
Power output: 120 W per channel (5 channels)  ** I'm sure its not a "real" 120W though **
Surround modes: Dolby® TrueHD, Dolby® Digital +, DTS-HD™ Master Audio™
All sources up-converted to HDMI™
Auto setup calibration
HDMI™ audio/video repeating function: 4 in/1 out
4 x HDMI™ v1.4a inputs
1 x HDMI™ v1.4a output

First Look > http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/denon-avr-591-fl

NOTE: Costco is NOT a dealer for Denon so there will be NO manufacturer warranty. You will get Costco's own warranty which usually means, if it breaks in the first two year, here is your money back. Plus 90 day price protection....its a win/win.

They had some full systems with BD also. Its all about compromises.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2010, 03:47:45 pm »
** I'm sure its not a "real" 120W though **

How important is that in the real world?  It seems like any receiver I've had never goes above 1/3 of the total volume.  Then again, I haven't been driving large speakers.

Seems like a good price.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2010, 04:21:05 pm »
Not a huge deal for most people. Since it is a Denon I would think you would be getting between 50-75W/Channel.

NOTE: I just noticed that on Denon's website they list it at 75x5.

As long as you run efficient speakers (89db or better) that are 8ohms you shouldn't have any issues until you turn it up to 11. Also, running a dedicated sub will take some strain off the receiver (bass loves power).

If you use this calculator:

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

Using speakers @ 89db, 50 watts, 10 feet, 2 speakers = 99.3 dB SPL which is pretty loud.

Of course, the larger the room, the more power you will need.

If you like to listen to things at concert levels all the time, this receiver might start smoking. Remember, more power (ears bleed first) is better than not enough power (distortion first).

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2010, 08:25:39 pm »
There are some calculators out there that can be used:
-->   http://www.dtvcity.com/lcdtv/lcdscreensize.html

Wickipedia has an interesting page on optimal viewing distances:
-->   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimum_HDTV_viewing_distance#The_Recommendations

As for myself, I still have my trusty 32" wide screen LCD 1080i "Prima" brand from Best Buy, purchased almost 4 years ago.  It is located about 12' or so from where I sit.  The screen is a bit too far but not by much.  Ideally, I would replace it with a 46" screen, while maintaining the same viewing distance.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2010, 09:32:27 am »
EHR (East Hamilton Radio) has a deal on a good starter 5.1 speaker system in today's ad.

http://www.easthamiltonradio.on.ca/uploads/flyers/ehrFlyer_138.pdf

Paradigm for $599 (was $750)

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2010, 09:57:28 am »
There are some calculators out there that can be used:
-->   http://www.dtvcity.com/lcdtv/lcdscreensize.html

Wickipedia has an interesting page on optimal viewing distances:
-->   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimum_HDTV_viewing_distance#The_Recommendations

It is nice to have a large screen for the 'cinematic' experience.  However, I find large LCD screens uncomfortable on account of their brightness.  For screens larger than 46", I'd rather have a projector.  IMO anyone considering a large LCD should at least try out a projector.  Of course, it won't double as a television (lamp lifetime issues).

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2010, 09:59:02 am »
EHR (East Hamilton Radio) has a deal on a good starter 5.1 speaker system in today's ad.

http://www.easthamiltonradio.on.ca/uploads/flyers/ehrFlyer_138.pdf

Paradigm for $599 (was $750)

That's a good recommendation!  Do you have experience with KEF speakers?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2010, 10:51:44 am »
That's a good recommendation!  Do you have experience with KEF speakers?

No experience here, actually I've never heard any KEF speakers. I'd think it would be mostly because none of the dealers I have shopped at have carried them.

The good thing about speakers are, if you like how they sound/look, buy them.

My only buying advice is:
a) find a shop that will allow at home testing. Your room is nothing like theirs.
b) if you can't do the above, find a shop that has a 100% return policy.

Listening at home is mandatory for buying speakers.

If you have access to cross border shopping, the USA has a couple of good Internet Direct companies that are also worth checking out.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2010, 03:16:35 pm »
Nice setup but PLEASE get the centre channel off your Oppo player. Then get your sub off the stand, you are killing your player with vibrations.

Done and done. Not so easy to split the Oppo and the receiver, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of heat (at apartment sound levels anyway).

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2010, 07:10:36 am »
Done and done. Not so easy to split the Oppo and the receiver, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of heat (at apartment sound levels anyway).

:thumbup:

Now move your L/R speakers to be even with the centre speaker.

1) All three front speakers should be aligned evenly.
2) They are too close to the rear wall and you have a cabinet right beside them "blocking" the sound.
3) You have a sub so you shouldn't need any extra bass reinforcement by using the walls for your main speakers.

NOTE1: I use "blocking" loosely here, but speakers should have nothing beside them so the sound can disperse freely.

NOTE2: It looks like the speakers are toed in a lot but I'm thinking its just the picture giving that illusion.

How have you liked your Oppo? Did you hear they are going to be releasing the BDP-93 soon? It won't have the better 2 channel DAC the 83 has but it will offer Netflix. Oppo did say that they will be making a 93 w/better DACs for 2 channel next though.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2010, 01:10:32 pm »
How have you liked your Oppo?

It's been good, but to be honest wasn't the upgrade in DVD upsampling I was hoping for. I compared it with my previous $30! DVD player and saw little, if any difference. But even regular Blu-ray players were expensive at the time and the 5.1 analogue outputs saved me replacing my old receiver.

These new speakers OTOH are definitely money well spent.

But, having a projector is the big one. Every time I watch it I marvel.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2010, 06:19:46 pm »
RE Oppo: I felt the same way about the up conversion, my other player is a PS3 and the Oppo wasn't nearly 2x price better. I think only the most discriminating viewers could see or care about the differences or you need to be at 100" or larger sitting at THX distances.

But I also use my Oppo for SACD and streaming music from my computer since its one of the few players (or was) than can stream 96khz files, these features made it worth the extra money to me.

Enjoy the system, nothing better than watching movies or listening to music at home.