Author Topic: TV Size?  (Read 8430 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
TV Size?
« on: October 29, 2010, 12:56:06 am »
Question.

I currently sit about 15-20ft from a 40 inch screen, which I think is too far away.  I can barely see the difference between SD and HD and watching sports is a bit of a nightmare too.

So. I can't move my sofa into the middle of the room as it's a sectional (in the basement) so is against the wall and around a corner.  I may take the TV off the wall and put it on a stand which will bring it a foot closer.  But apart from that the distance is set.

So what size screen do I need to replace it with to be able to see the level of detail in 1080p?

These links are suggesting silly sizes:

http://hd.engadget.com/2006/12/09/1080p-charted-viewing-distance-to-screen-size/

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

So do I go for 65" plasma or an LCD projector and a white painted wall?

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: TV Size?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 01:01:01 am »
OK I measured it, it's about 16'.

If I go for a projector can anyone recommend what features to look out for?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 01:02:38 am »

If I go for a projector can anyone recommend what features to look out for?

Budget?  And do you want 1080p?  And be sure to put a black border around your painted wall.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/1080p-projector/1080p_projector_award_winners.php
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 01:19:52 am »
I'd just rent or borrow a projector and test out what you like. Many have quite a variety in zoom size so you can play around with different screen sizes easily.

I sit 8 ft away from a 96" diagonal picture from a 720p projector and (interestingly I find), never watch it smaller, even though it is easy to shrink with the zoom and somewhat sharper and brighter that way.

Did some fooling around with screen and preferred the wall itself which is painted a light brown color, not as bright a picture but better colors, darker blacks.

Another site for projector reviews:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/epson_home_cinema_8350_projector_review.htm

Leviathan

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 04:43:00 am »

If you're going LCD/LED/Plasma go as big as you can. I've got a 40", sit 8-9' away and lament not getting the 46". With the pricing now I'd be eyeballing a 55" too  ;D

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 06:28:30 am »
I would go atleast 60" LED LCD

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 06:34:04 am »
Screen size: Here are THX's recommendations.

http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-entertainment/home-theater/hdtv-set-up/

How do you calculate the best seat-to-screen distance for a plasma, LCD TV or projection screen? Divide the size of your screen by .84 (screen size is measured diagonally). For example, a 65-inch TV divided by .84 equals a 77-inch viewing distance (6.5 feet).

If your HDTV is going in a living room with limited space, THX recommends the following:

* 35 inch class TV = 3.5-5 feet away
    * 40 inch class TV = 4-6 feet away
    * 50 inch class TV = 5-7.5 feet away
    * 60 inch class TV = 6-9 feet way

It might seem that THX is recommending a very large screen size for your room. But, it’s important to note two things: 1) THX screen size recommendations are based on recreating an immersive cinematic experience, and 2) the biggest complaint among TV buyers is that they wish they had bought a bigger set.

Personally I would think sitting 6.5 feet away from a 65 inch TV is too close. Their 6-9 feet on a 60" screen would be fine but its a personal decision. One thing, 12 feet from 40 inches is way too far.

Buyers Guide:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/home_theater_buyers_guide_0.htm

The two links above are good starting points.
http://www.projectorreviews.com/1080p-projector/1080p_projector_award_winners.php
http://www.projectorcentral.com

Also check out these forums.

Projectors under $3000
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=68

Projectors over $3000
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=30&f=24

Digital Home Canada
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=152

As to buying, I think projectors keep it pretty simple.

Budget
LCD or DLP
720p or 1080p
Brightness/Light control in your room

Those decisions should get you close to what you will need to buy.

For the cost of a good 65 inch screen you should be able to buy a pretty good projector and have a 100 inch image.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 12:33:04 pm »
All good points, thanks everyone.

Budget, I was hoping for below $2K, $3K probably with a surround system.

1080p would probably be a must. I'd want it to be relatively future proof.

Why would I need a black border?  Not sure I would want that permanently on the wall so I might have to get a screen that lowers, although I was hoping I wouldnt have to.

Leviathan 60"-65" are the largest consumer screens I have seen, and judging by the distance vs size recommendations I think these would even be too small.  So I don't think I could go with a LCD/Plasma anyway.

Thanks for the links quad, I'll check them out now.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 01:31:07 pm »
Leviathan 60"-65" are the largest consumer screens I have seen, and judging by the distance vs size recommendations I think these would even be too small.  So I don't think I could go with a LCD/Plasma anyway.

Mitsubishi makes some gorgeous TVs in 65", 73", and 82" sizes. They're also 3D capable (since you mentioned future proofing... heh). The prices are outside the budget you stated, but not completely unreasonable (I think the biggest one is $4000 - $5000).

http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/theater.html

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 01:32:22 pm »
All good points, thanks everyone.

1080p would probably be a must. I'd want it to be relatively future proof.

Why would I need a black border?  Not sure I would want that permanently on the wall so I might have to get a screen that lowers, although I was hoping I wouldnt have to.

Thanks for the links quad, I'll check them out now.

If you have all your ducks in a row before Christmas, the sales right after through New Years can lead to some great savings. It pays to have your 'list' ready so you can snag the best deals.

You shouldn't have any problems getting a project/screen for $2K.

Costco has a couple of units that might work for you.

http://www.costco.ca/Common/Category.aspx?whse=BCCA&Ne=4000000&eCat=BCCA|79|22377&N=4009873&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&cat=22378&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-CA&topnav=

Finding a decent surround system (receiver, BD player and speakers) for $1K will be the harder part. If you can do $1500-2000 it would be better. You don't want one of those HTIB systems for such a large room. Besides, big screen picture and tiny sound don't go together.

Example:
Speakers $800-1000
Receiver $500-700
BD player $100-200

When you are close to buying let me know. I'm usually check a few stores every week for deals for myself and friends. I could pass along anything good that I see.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 01:37:44 pm »

Mitsubishi makes some gorgeous TVs in 65", 73", and 82" sizes. They're also 3D capable (since you mentioned future proofing... heh). The prices are outside the budget you stated, but not completely unreasonable (I think the biggest one is $4000 - $5000).

But for $4-5K you can buy a really, really good projector and a 120" screen.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 01:46:26 pm »

But for $4-5K you can buy a really, really good projector and a 120" screen.

Exactly, $5K for a TV that still isn't big enough for the seating distance doesn't make sense.  I don't care about 3D right now, I'm not an early adopter.

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-68
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 02:54:25 pm »
I got an optoma HD65 last year, it's 720p.  The HD66(new model) is 3D ready.  They can be found for well under $1000, are very small and quiet.

The HD20 is 1080p and sits right around $1000 new right now.

Downsides of projectors v TV's?  First is light control.  This is in your basement so you should be ok, but if you share the space with others who require a lot of light for their tasks you are asking for trouble.

2nd is bulb life.  3000 hours, and $300 to replace.  So if your TV gets watched 10 hours a day your will be popping bulbs annually.

Finally wiring and placement.  If you have an open or drop ceiling, it's not much of a challenge, and monoprice can get you long distance hdmi cables for cheap.

I used a 4x8 sheet of 1/2 inch mdf for my screen, and it sits on the wall on a 2x4 mount system I devised.  (mitre cut on the table saw 45 degrees lengthwise, one half on wall, one half on the back of the screen) so my screen has an offset from the wall of two inches.  Looks awesome. 

4x8 dimensional products are actually 49" wide, so I trimmed the sheet from 96" to 87" to achieve the 16:9 aspect ratio, and the diagonal is exactly 100".

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 03:39:15 pm »
Wow.  It's amazing how the size of the screens has gone up and the price has gone down.  We've got a 2-year-old Sony Bravia 46" LCD which looked *HUGE* two years ago.  We only sit about 8' away from it and it's good for us, but I'm having increasing bouts of TV-envy.

We watch lots of hockey in my household and other fast action sports and I think I would throw dual-scan in your "must have" list.  I don't know if this is something all TVs have nowadays, but I *do* know that it would reduce that teeny weeny bit of blur that we get when the action gets quick.

15 to 20' feet away?  That's far.  Maybe moving your chairs closer would be cheaper?

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2010, 06:31:45 pm »
I'm not moving a sectional into the middle of the room, the whole point is that it goes in the corner. I never said money was an issue, I just don't want to spend megabucks on it, $3k all in sounds about right to me.

Leviathan

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2010, 06:41:49 pm »
Best Buy flier has a 60" 120hz 1080p Sony LCD for $1999 + Sony 5.1 surround & Blu-ray for $399. That's only a few dollars more than what I paid for a Samsung 40" + 5.1 & DVD setup, oh, 3 years ago.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2010, 06:57:11 pm »
Yeah the prices have come right down.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2010, 07:26:57 pm »
Saw this when I was reading something else, thought it might help (I didn't read it though).

http://www.canadahifi.com/Choosing-a-Projector-and-Screen.php

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2010, 08:55:35 pm »
Saw this when I was reading something else, thought it might help (I didn't read it though).

http://www.canadahifi.com/Choosing-a-Projector-and-Screen.php

Cool, good link.  Although I don't think my missus will let me paint the ceiling black!  :rofl2:

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2010, 09:43:17 pm »
I dont have any experience with projectors, but if you decide to get a flat screen I'd recommend a Samsung. I've done a lot of shopping, reading reviews and visual comparison before I decided on a bedroom TV. I finally got 40" 120Hz 1080p 6 series with "ultra clear" or smth panel and IMHO there is simply no competition in that price range. Its got tons of internet features which I don't care for, but I once updated the firmware and I think after that it started playing "matroska" - high def video in .mkv container off of a freaking USB stick  8) Even my latest Sony blu ray doesn't support it. So, LCD or LED LCD Sammy is the way to go. BTW, it adjusts to different light conditions too.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.