Yes, all the time.
19 (55.9%)
Yes, mostly.
13 (38.2%)
No, I couldn't be bothered
0 (0%)
No, Lines are for anal twits
0 (0%)
What lines?  I'm too busy texting or talking on my phone.
0 (0%)
No, the lines are guidelines anway.
2 (5.9%)
You mean there are lines on the road?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Do You Drive Between The Lines?  (Read 3299 times)

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
Do You Drive Between The Lines?
« on: October 27, 2010, 05:58:56 pm »
I'm not intending to become the resident pollster, but these things keep popping into my mind.  If it happens too many more times, I'm seeking therapy!

Here's the deal.  Call me anal, or OCD (or whatever.....sheesh Freud *would* have a field day with me!) but I take great pride in driving between the lines, funny as that might sound.  When I go around a curve, I drive between the lines.  When I come to a left turn lane, I signal early and seque into the turn lane again (you guessed it) between the lines.  I stop at the stop lines and I generally try to pay attention to the line markings.  Am I alone?  Am I somehow touched, or are there more people like me?

By the way, I *was* not the kid who coloured between the lines in kindergarten, either!  I've also been described by my peers as being somewhat creative (I think it's a euphemism for artsy) and pretty easy going.  I'm not sure whether I'm left brain or right brain but I'm sure someone would like to clear that up for me....
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 06:02:06 pm by Angry Chicken »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Drive Between The Lines?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 06:03:38 pm »
  When I go around a curve, I drive between the lines. 

Aren't you supposed to drive between the lines?  I mean..the alternative is crossing the line into oncoming traffic.  Or am I not getting what you're asking??
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 06:06:59 pm »

Aren't you supposed to drive between the lines?  I mean..the alternative is crossing the line into oncoming traffic.  Or am I not getting what you're asking??
You're getting it ok.  I'm sure you've driven behind people on  a curving rural road or whatever where they just couldn't be bothered staying in their lane as they're going around corners.  They might have to slow down or put down their food or Timmies or something if they did.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 06:10:21 pm »

You're getting it ok.  I'm sure you've driven behind people on  a curving rural road or whatever where they just couldn't be bothered staying in their lane as they're going around corners.  They might have to slow down or put down their food or Timmies or something if they did.

Well since I was a hardcore motorcyclist, I ALWAYS made sure I stayed in the lines on curves...for obvious reason.

To be honest, I don't see too many people driving outside of the lines on a regular basis.

I think a better topic would be....what are some of your other OCD tendencies??   :rofl2:

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 06:33:59 pm »

Well since I was a hardcore motorcyclist, I ALWAYS made sure I stayed in the lines on curves...for obvious reason.

To be honest, I don't see too many people driving outside of the lines on a regular basis.

I think a better topic would be....what are some of your other OCD tendencies??   :rofl2:
Funny guy!  You just watch...I won't be the only person on this forum that notices this!   8)

Offline goodsonr

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 06:39:48 pm »
on curvy-winding roads I have been known in the past to smooth-out the path to keep the young-un's in the back seat from getting motion sickness and throwing up.  It took *all* the fun out of what little fun-driving there was.

Fortunately, those days are rapidly diminishing.  I don't know why - but as they've gotten older, motion sickness has decreased.

Other than that .. I try to stay within the lines .. some sort of weird personal-pride thing.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 06:49:27 pm »
Depends - if there is lots of traffic I make sure i'm in my lines... if its a quiet road with no traffic, i might bend a few corners outside the lines... but then I might be exceeding the speed limit as well.

Whats far worse in my opinion are the people that cut across parking lots -- where there are a few cars scattered around, and some dumbass going through diagonally almost nails you as you are going down one of the proper lanes...and of course glares at you as they go sailing past...

In parking lots I always go straight down the correct lanes, even if its empty...I guess thats my OCD thing

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-240
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 07:44:05 pm »
That goes without saying....I find strange that cats eyes are not that common. Would make a big different of dark country lanes at night...

Online Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1206
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 07:44:35 pm »
I'm not intending to become the resident pollster, but these things keep popping into my mind.  If it happens too many more times, I'm seeking therapy!

Here's the deal.  Call me anal, or OCD (or whatever.....sheesh Freud *would* have a field day with me!) but I take great pride in driving between the lines, funny as that might sound.  When I go around a curve, I drive between the lines.  When I come to a left turn lane, I signal early and seque into the turn lane again (you guessed it) between the lines.  I stop at the stop lines and I generally try to pay attention to the line markings.  Am I alone?  Am I somehow touched, or are there more people like me?

I am exactly like you. I drives me crazy to see most drivers cutting corners as if they were shooting for the apex in a F1 race, left or right. Do they think the lines are there just for decoration?

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 09:14:23 pm »
I hate it when people can't keep it in the lines (whether through lack of skill, attention, or care-factor).

I once had a Prius cut me off by taking a racing line through a two lane onramp. I figure he was hypermiling somehow. What a twit.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 12:49:18 am »
I followed a guy around an off ramp the other day and he had all four tires on the shoulder, to the right of the white line. WTF is up with that? Not that it would be an excuse, but he wasn't even going fast.

And how come nobody knows how to make a proper left turn? Everyone turns in way too early, apexes way too early, then either blows the turn out wide into the next lane or cranks hard on the wheel at the last minute to keep it in the proper lane.

There's a semi-blind "T'" intersection near my house, and I see this every day. The yellow line is worn off the road ten feet back from the stop line from all the cars cutting the corner. Because the intersection is semi blind, I'll often find myself rolling to the stop sign with a car cutting into my lane at a 45 degree angle as they're half way through the turn.

FFS, just keep your car on your own side of the road. How hard is that?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 01:01:02 am »

And how come nobody knows how to make a proper left turn? Everyone turns in way too early, apexes way too early, then either blows the turn out wide into the next lane or cranks hard on the wheel at the last minute to keep it in the proper lane.

:rofl2:  Because nobody gives a f*** if they've clipped the right apex in a left turn...on the street....

vdk

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 02:19:42 am »
On the 404 at Steeles, there's a left-right, not too tight. Mind you NO ONE drives between the lines, and I'm talking 5 lanes of traffic. So you gotta do what you gotta do and follow suit sometimes...

Worse are people slowing down to 80 for that little chicane. Even worse are all the Buick barges taking it at 145 and drifting (no pun intended) into the outside lane.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 05:27:24 am »
You're anal. ;)
Railton
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 06:35:52 am by Railton »
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 06:59:50 am »
I followed a guy around an off ramp the other day and he had all four tires on the shoulder, to the right of the white line. WTF is up with that? Not that it would be an excuse, but he wasn't even going fast.

There's a semi-blind "T'" intersection near my house, and I see this every day. The yellow line is worn off the road ten feet back from the stop line from all the cars cutting the corner. Because the intersection is semi blind, I'll often find myself rolling to the stop sign with a car cutting into my lane at a 45 degree angle as they're half way through the turn.

FFS, just keep your car on your own side of the road. How hard is that?
I seem to have struck a chord.

Yeah, there's this one on ramp to the 416 near my house where at least 50% of the drivers duck completely beneath the painted white line that marks the shoulder.  I like sitting behind them off their rear quarter and watch the quick twitch as they freak out when they blithely swing back into the middle of the lane only to see me in their rearview mirror (if they're paying attention)  Funny, really, that they're so out of it that they don't even know that there's someone behind them in the first place.

And, yes, I hate people cutting corners too.  If that makes me OCD (rrocket, Railton) then it's a good OCD to be!  Besides, I have good company according to the poll, so take that!  :stick: :run:

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2010, 08:32:53 am »
The best line through a corner is everything. Line painters aren't the most knowledgeable people when it comes to determining that!  :rofl2:  :run:

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2010, 08:39:32 am »
The best line through a corner is everything. Line painters aren't the most knowledgeable people when it comes to determining that!  :rofl2:  :run:
+1
Railton

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2010, 09:11:16 am »
That onramp thing.   So many of the ramps are not a proper arc of a circle... Province cheaping out on land or some other dumb reason.   So I wonder if people ( like me!) treat them as an arc and refuse to move the wheel... then crossing the line on the ramp.  I dunno.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2010, 09:31:40 am »
That onramp thing.   So many of the ramps are not a proper arc of a circle... Province cheaping out on land or some other dumb reason.   So I wonder if people ( like me!) treat them as an arc and refuse to move the wheel... then crossing the line on the ramp.  I dunno.
Traffic calming technique?
Unfortunately, highway design in this province no longer seems to include propper 'clover-leaf' design wherein off-ramps and on-ramps are seperated and more importantly allow traffic to smoothly merge with traffic flow WITHOUT the need for traffic signals and/or stop signs.
Railton

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2010, 09:43:40 am »
Don't forget multiple lanes going in the same direction.  One doesn't need oncoming traffic to be dangerous.

On many streets, there are two lanes per side, with the rightmost lane also having parking.  Putting aside boneheaded parking jobs, it seems as if many people are  too scared to get close to the parked cars.  I guess many drivers don't have good spatial awareness.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"