Yes, all the time.
19 (55.9%)
Yes, mostly.
13 (38.2%)
No, I couldn't be bothered
0 (0%)
No, Lines are for anal twits
0 (0%)
What lines?  I'm too busy texting or talking on my phone.
0 (0%)
No, the lines are guidelines anway.
2 (5.9%)
You mean there are lines on the road?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Do You Drive Between The Lines?  (Read 3289 times)

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
Re: Do You Drive Between The Lines?
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2010, 09:59:02 am »
You have to drive between the lines?  :o

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2010, 10:19:21 am »
no I don't, but I can read between.......  ;D

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2010, 11:09:34 am »
That onramp thing.   So many of the ramps are not a proper arc of a circle... Province cheaping out on land or some other dumb reason.   So I wonder if people ( like me!) treat them as an arc and refuse to move the wheel... then crossing the line on the ramp.  I dunno.

On/off ramps are one of the last true forms of street driving entertainment!

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2010, 11:11:38 am »
That onramp thing.   So many of the ramps are not a proper arc of a circle... Province cheaping out on land or some other dumb reason.   So I wonder if people ( like me!) treat them as an arc and refuse to move the wheel... then crossing the line on the ramp.  I dunno.

On/off ramps are one of the last true forms of street driving entertainment!

Yeah, I learn the Apex of the onramps and ignore the lines there

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2010, 11:46:45 am »
It is important to get the apex right and the power down early so that others on this forum don't whine at you for being a slowpoke on the expressway entrance.    :o
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2010, 11:47:59 am »
It is important to get the apex right and the power down early so that others on this forum don't whine at you for being a slowpoke on the expressway entrance.    :o

:rofl2:  In the SX4 it is true....the WRX makes up for it with the go pedal

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2010, 12:11:20 pm »

:rofl2:

And don't forget merge properly too    :P

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2010, 12:14:02 pm »
The best line through a corner is everything. Line painters aren't the most knowledgeable people when it comes to determining that!  :rofl2:  :run:

That's a good point.

Off the top of my head, I know two spots (one off ramp and one merge lane, both in corners) where the road designers and/or line painters must have been on crack. And you're right, in those two spots I defiantly ignore the lines and drive the path that makes the most sense.

Guess that makes me both OCD and a hypocrite.  :-\

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2010, 12:36:36 pm »
Eh, I always keep to my lane on a 4 lane highway.  But on a twisty (and obviously empty) 2 - lane road or an off-ramp I don't pay much attention to the lines.  Then again,  I'm most likely speeding or travelling MUCH faster than the recommended off-ramp speed.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2010, 01:26:26 pm »

:rofl2:

And don't forget merge properly too    :P

My son is going crazy in Victora, he says no one knows how to merge onto highway there, instead of merging people come to a stop and wait for a clear section to get on  :rofl2:

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2010, 01:51:47 pm »
I always stay between the lines.  The only exeptions being certain on or off ramps.  If there's no traffic around me and I can use a little more pavement than the line painters have allowed, then I will.  Like the Palladium Drive exit from w/b 417...YEEHAW!
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2010, 08:39:43 pm »
I always stay between the lines.  The only exeptions being certain on or off ramps.  If there's no traffic around me and I can use a little more pavement than the line painters have allowed, then I will.  Like the Palladium Drive exit from w/b 417...YEEHAW!
Ah, so that was you!   :popo:  Must be a Leafs fan.

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2010, 08:52:21 pm »
  When I go around a curve, I drive between the lines. 

Aren't you supposed to drive between the lines?  I mean..the alternative is crossing the line into oncoming traffic.  Or am I not getting what you're asking??

I get what he is getting at as around here it is not uncommon to have someone in my lane on a right hand corner (and straights too  :o ).

I stay between the lines whenever possible.  It makes me feel so much superior that I can go around that corner, at that speed, staying in my lane while the guy behind had to "cut" the corner but still can't keep up   ;D
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2010, 10:09:20 pm »
I take a road that has a few sharp S curves.  I like to go into them a bit fast and it is not hard to stay on my side of the yellow line.  It's a little scary when  traffic coming the other way can't do it and forcing me to really keep right.

vdk

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2010, 10:21:49 pm »
Speaking of staying in your lane. The only time I was scared this season on the bike was when I went into a corner too fast and crossed the yellow line. If a car drove the other way, I don't want to know what would've happened to me.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2010, 04:07:49 pm »
I always drive in the lines and am admittedly pretty 'particular' about it, but my wife just drives all over the place - I've said it time and time again and it frustrates the crap out of me, but what's a guy to do? I've done the argument thing, she is just not a great driver and thinks they're just general guidelines.

My theory is that I always drive like there's someone in the oncoming lane - how would I drive if there was oncoming traffic? I see it all the time; a quiet road, someone in front of me doesn't see any oncoming cars and goes over the lines, and when a car comes around the corner or over a hill they have to jerk back into the lane, coming dangerously close to causing an accident. They design the roads to be pretty easy to follow, just figure it out and keep everyone safe. If anything finding the apex staying inside the lines makes it more fun!

triuman

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2010, 07:12:17 pm »

[/quote]

I am exactly like you. I drives me crazy to see most drivers cutting corners as if they were shooting for the apex in a F1 race, left or right. Do they think the lines are there just for decoration?
[/quote]

Yes

Offline cparsons

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2010, 10:49:47 pm »
The best line through a corner is everything. Line painters aren't the most knowledgeable people when it comes to determining that!  :rofl2:  :run:
+1
Railton

+2
CP
Kitchener, Ontario
06 Pontiac G6 GT 180k km - 5W30 PP - WIX
06 Pontiac G5 GT 90k km - 5W30 PP - WIX