Author Topic: Can Worst Driver Season 6  (Read 7494 times)

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
Can Worst Driver Season 6
« on: October 27, 2010, 02:29:05 pm »
Yeah, we all know what we think about the show.  I tuned in last night to watch the season premier, because there's a local girl on.

They're using a brand new Camaro in the show, she managed to rip the whole front bumper assembly off doing some reversing through obstacles.  God, it was painful to watch.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: Can Worst Driver Season 6
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 02:55:31 pm »
God, it was painful to watch.

Yup.

"Do you know how dumb average is? And half the people are dumber than that!"
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 02:56:56 pm »
I do declare this 6th season is the worst yet.  At least last year they had that ditzy blonde this years token young female is just plain sad.  Whatever... I'll still suffer through until the end.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-440
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 03:38:11 pm »
I don't watch the show, because I see and experience it live daily here :rofl2:

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 03:54:33 pm »
The one thing it emphasizes to me is that there are people like this, on the roads every day.  At one time, you could assume that other drivers had a basic level of competence, and you could assume they're going to drive in a rational manner...watching this show, makes me remember that you really can't expect any other driver out there to have any ability, or depth perception, or confidence...you just never know.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 09:43:44 pm »
The one thing it emphasizes to me is that there are people like this, on the roads every day.  At one time, you could assume that other drivers had a basic level of competence, and you could assume they're going to drive in a rational manner...watching this show, makes me remember that you really can't expect any other driver out there to have any ability, or depth perception, or confidence...you just never know.
Some of the "contestants" in every year  seem to have no concept of anything else but themselves. Sociopaths?      Sure they are usually technically bad drivers as well  but its the way they just retry stuff ( last nights reversing exercise being an example) without thought that makes me think that their problems are deeper than just driving.

As an accident free driver for decades I know I'd have trouble with some of those reversing and towing exercises but I wouldn't just keep hitting stuff over and over.

Incidentally. In those reversing exercises I would carefully set the outside mirrors to give me a good view of the back corners... I have never seen anyone on the show do that.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 09:46:36 pm by tpl »

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 10:11:14 am »
Guilty as charged.  After 6 seasons, I still watch regularily.  That hurt to watch what they did to that new Camaro. 

I know these people are there because of confidence/skills issues.  Some of the exercises look hard.  Are they designed to put these people's patience to the limit, or beyond, just for tv?  Having said that, I'd love to try some of them myself just for fun.

At least there doesn't appear to be any "screamers" this year.  They're even more painfull to watch.  I'll still watch though...

If anything, it's a good reminder of what's out there on our roads.
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 10:19:16 am »
Yeah, we all know what we think about the show.  I tuned in last night to watch the season premier, because there's a local girl on.

They're using a brand new Camaro in the show, she managed to rip the whole front bumper assembly off doing some reversing through obstacles.  God, it was painful to watch.

Damn, missed the premiere.  I always watch this show and get a kcik out of it.  Some people on there scare the hell out of me

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 10:29:58 am »

Damn, missed the premiere.  I always watch this show and get a kcik out of it.  Some people on there scare the hell out of me

It repeats on Firday at 8pm, then I'm sure several more times over the weekend.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 11:00:28 am »

It repeats on Firday at 8pm, then I'm sure several more times over the weekend.

Discovery Channel....overplay something......C'mon  ;D

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 10:17:39 am »
So, I watched this week's show last night.  I'd really like to see how this show works behind the scenes.  It's only the 2nd week, I haven't seem them get any sort of instruction.  They've taken these people who seem to lack some basic skills, put them in a 40 foot tandem axle rv, and told to reverse through a course with a slight curve to it.  Are they really learning anything?  The skeptic in me is telling me that it's just for more entertaining tv.

As for local contribution, Ottawa has supplied Lance the cryer/puker.  I did think it was pretty funny watching Paul the biker trying not to laugh and telling him to "man up" when he had his meltdown in the rv....   :rofl:

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 12:05:05 pm »
You have to wonder about some people.  The moron who talked about how he's a good driver when he's drunk, and how he pretended to be someone else when caught for DUI...why would someone volunteer to go on a tv show, and then do this stuff?  What makes people want to go on tv and explain to everyone just how much of an idiot they are?

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 02:42:33 pm »
You have to wonder about some people.  The moron who talked about how he's a good driver when he's drunk, and how he pretended to be someone else when caught for DUI...why would someone volunteer to go on a tv show, and then do this stuff?  What makes people want to go on tv and explain to everyone just how much of an idiot they are?

I guess that's why his friend got po'd at him and started calling him Hollywood.  He got in front of a tv camera and turned into an even bigger moron.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 02:49:51 pm »

I guess that's why his friend got po'd at him and started calling him Hollywood.  He got in front of a tv camera and turned into an even bigger moron.

Someone, another young man IIRC,  did something similar in a previous series and Wooley shopped him as well.  Remembering.... he was the guy who was on pre-Police training courses at a college somewhere and he used his student card as a get out of jail free.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 09:37:05 am »
Well, the biker dude passed.  I wonder if the puker will be this season's Canada's Worst Driver?

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 10:12:52 am »

What?! Why are they using brand new vehicles for that show? Is GM a sponsor or something?

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2010, 10:51:05 am »
Perhaps they wanted to show that, even in a brand new sporty car, the crop of drivers is still truly awful?  I suppose they opted to use a brand new car to up the shock factor - seeing a pristine vehicle destroyed as opposed to an old car.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2010, 11:49:16 am »

What?! Why are they using brand new vehicles for that show? Is GM a sponsor or something?

I record it on the pvr and watch it later, so I never see the commercials.  I'll look a little more closely next time, if there's a bunch of GM commercials, then we'll know...

As a former Miata owner, the clutch control exercise on the teeter totter ws painful to watch.  I'm surprised Paul the biker guy even fit in it!

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2010, 02:40:23 pm »
Perhaps they wanted to show that, even in a brand new sporty car, the crop of drivers is still truly awful?  I suppose they opted to use a brand new car to up the shock factor - seeing a pristine vehicle destroyed as opposed to an old car.

I dunno, I winced at what they did to that Audi 90.   At least it wasn't a quattro.

I bet the Camaro was a GM test car which has to be destroyed anyhow.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2010, 02:53:52 pm »

Some people will do anything to get on TV, which is precisely why this program has no credibility with me whatsoever. I have enough trouble dealing with morons in real life, why the hell would I want to watch them on the Discovery Channel of all places??
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson