Author Topic: Consumer Reports Reliability Rankings  (Read 6208 times)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Consumer Reports Reliability Rankings
« on: October 27, 2010, 01:02:01 am »
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2010/10/consumer-reports-2010-annual-car-reliability-survey-gm-makes-big-strides-while-honda-toyota-dominate-pr.html?CMP=OTC-NEWS3

The Good

Despite recent safety recalls, Toyota models, including those from Scion and Lexus, remained among the most reliable and earned top scores in five vehicle categories: small cars (Yaris), midsized SUVs (FJ Cruiser), luxury SUVs (Lexus LX), minivans (Sienna V6, FWD), and full-size pickups (Tundra V6). Only the all-wheel-drive Lexus GS and the new Lexus IS 250 convertible are below average. The redesigned 2010 Toyota Prius, hurt by antilock brake problems on early vehicles, scored only average. That is quite a drop from previous years.

In the new survey, based on 1.3 million vehicles, 90 percent of Fords, including Lincoln models, have at least average reliability. As a brand, Ford now outranks Mazda and Nissan and ranks just below Lexus. Its quality renaissance has been led by the Fusion, a design that has been very reliable since its debut five years ago. Ford vehicles are tops for reliability in two categories: family cars (Fusion Hybrid) and large SUVs (Ford Flex EcoBoost). (See how all car brands rank in reliability, available to online subscribers.)

...GM made the most progress of the three domestic manufacturers in this survey. Across GM brands (Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, and GMC), 69 percent of models had average or better reliability. Cadillac improved the most, rising seven places from last year's ranking. Chevrolet had its best showing in years; 83 percent of models had average or better scores in predicted reliability, up from 50 percent.

Volkswagen did better, with its Golf, formerly the Rabbit, doing very well and the various Jetta models scoring average or better.

The Porsche Boxster has the best predicted reliability score in Consumer Reports survey.

The Bad

BMW had a bad year, with five of its 11 models scoring below average. While the BMW M3 topped the sporty cars category, the 1-, 3-, and 5-Series models with the 3.0-liter turbocharged (N54) engine had high problem rates related to the fuel system, among other gripes.

Six of Mercedes-Benz's 13 models were below average, and the GLK SUV was far below average. However, the redesigned E350 sedan was above average—a promising start. The new E-Class coupe, a wholly different car from the E-Class sedan, languished in the bottom ranks.

The Ugly

Nearly three-quarters of the Audi models Consumer Reports analyzed were below average. The A6 3.0T with the new supercharged 3.0-liter V6 was tied with the Jaguar XF for the worst new car prediction score.

Those Europeans sure do know a thing or two about quality don't they! ;D

« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 01:14:13 am by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
Re: Consumer Reports Reliability Rankings
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 01:15:45 am »
Did you notice Chevy's best model?   Z06!!   ;D

Looks like BMW is getting sued over fuel pump issues: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/26/abc-news-airs-big-expose-on-bmw-n54-engine-problems-lawsuits-w/
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 01:19:13 am »
Did you notice Chevy's best model?   Z06!!   ;D

Looks like BMW is getting sued over fuel pump issues: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/26/abc-news-airs-big-expose-on-bmw-n54-engine-problems-lawsuits-w/

Can't believe that a Corvette is it's highest ranked car! Unbelievable!

And BMW had better get ready for a reaming. What cars do lawyers buy? Exactly. :o

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 01:22:03 am »

Can't believe that a Corvette is it's highest ranked car! Unbelievable!

And BMW had better get ready for a reaming. What cars do lawyers buy? Exactly. :o

I could see it.  It's quite the factory stocked with some specialized people, engines built by hand, etc....

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 01:23:15 am »
Here's the CR blurb on the Corvette:

The Corvette offers impressive performance from its V8. The ride is relatively comfortable and handling is capable. The automatic transmission has paddle shifters, and the manual versions have a feature to make quick takeoffs smoother. The interior is roomy for a sports car, though some found seat support lacking. The Z06 is a bargain high-performance sports car, with a potent 505-hp V8 engine. It is available only as a coupe with a six-speed manual transmission. A supercharged ZR1 with 638 hp is available in limited numbers and delivers super car performance. Reliability has improved to average for the base Corvette; above average for the Z06.

Still can't believe it! Long way from the absolutely abysmal crap Corvettes sold through the 70s, 80s and 90s.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 01:27:02 am »
Here's the CR blurb on the Corvette:

The Corvette offers impressive performance from its V8. The ride is relatively comfortable and handling is capable. The automatic transmission has paddle shifters, and the manual versions have a feature to make quick takeoffs smoother. The interior is roomy for a sports car, though some found seat support lacking. The Z06 is a bargain high-performance sports car, with a potent 505-hp V8 engine. It is available only as a coupe with a six-speed manual transmission. A supercharged ZR1 with 638 hp is available in limited numbers and delivers super car performance. Reliability has improved to average for the base Corvette; above average for the Z06.

Still can't believe it! Long way from the absolutely abysmal crap Corvettes sold through the 70s, 80s and 90s.

For sure.  Though a local pal popped 2 engines in rapid succession on his Z06 when it first came out.  He was one of the first local guys to own one.  Engine number 3 is still going with no worries though.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 03:59:04 am »
Ford is on a roll product wise, but GM seems to be quietly mounting a comeback.  Great news for consumers, auto workers and the overall North American economy.

Mercedes seems to be stuck in a rut when it comes to build quality.  Spotty at best, with the SUV's punishing buyers.  The original ML set the standard for "crap" when it debuted.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 09:07:43 am »
Interestingly enough, Mitsubishi is not on the chart, although for the past couple of years they've been in the top 10 (for 2009 it was #6).
Same for Suzuki.
Perhaps it has to do with the low sales volume in the US or low number of responses. On the other hand, Mini is a relative low volume seller and still on the chart.

Hyundai dropped 4 places while Kia dropped 3 from last year. Some of the biggest dropps on the chart.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 09:17:52 am by carcrazy »

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 09:12:35 am »
The WRX was the only model that rated below average  :'(

Good thing my lease ends right around the time warranty does  :shuffle:

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 09:41:49 am »
Great to see my car in first. It is a countdown from top to bottom, right? :)
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 11:42:32 am »
Interestingly enough, Mitsubishi is not on the chart, although for the past couple of years they've been in the top 10 (for 2009 it was #6).
Same for Suzuki.
Perhaps it has to do with the low sales volume in the US or low number of responses. On the other hand, Mini is a relative low volume seller and still on the chart.

Hyundai dropped 4 places while Kia dropped 3 from last year. Some of the biggest dropps on the chart.

To be included, a brand must have sufficient data for at least two models.

I wonder if that's why they aren't on the chart?

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 12:09:35 pm »
Same for Suzuki.

I believe so but there is no mention of them in the CR's PR. Two of the most reliable brands (according to CR)  dropping from the chart would warrant a short statement IMO.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 01:55:50 pm »
I think the Europeans have great quality. It's reliability where they don't even seem to be able to spell the word. ;D
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

vdk

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 02:05:30 pm »
Look at Porsche  :o :o

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 02:11:23 pm »
Same for Suzuki.

I believe so but there is no mention of them in the CR's PR. Two of the most reliable brands (according to CR)  dropping from the chart would warrant a short statement IMO.

I think it's because nobody cares about Mitsubishi or Suzuki. They saw no point in wasting virtual ink.  ;)

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 02:14:18 pm »
Same for Suzuki.

I think it's because nobody cares about Mitsubishi or Suzuki. They saw no point in wasting virtual ink.  ;)

Sure if you say so....  ;D

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 02:19:06 pm »
You really think they wouldn't talk about Honda or Toyota if they somehow didn't qualify for their little graph? Of course not, they'd let us know what happened. Suzuki or Mitsubishi, no big deal.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 02:22:31 pm »
Here's last year's chart, for those curious.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 02:35:24 pm »
You really think they wouldn't talk about Honda or Toyota if they somehow didn't qualify for their little graph? Of course not, they'd let us know what happened. Suzuki or Mitsubishi, no big deal.

This is about reliability not sales numbers or market share. It is relevant when some top ranking brands fell off the chart IMO.
Not a big deal, but something to note at least.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 02:36:55 pm by carcrazy »

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +71/-102
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Telsa Model 3 SR+, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda CBR500R
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2010, 12:18:26 am »
Interesting Venza was most relaible in 2009 and is least reliable in 2010. I guess the quality lasted for a year