Poll

What prohibited use of an electronic device do you engage in?

Texting (and social networking, BlackBerry Messenger, etc.)
2 (3.2%)
Talking on the cellphone
6 (9.7%)
Listening to MP3 player with attached headphones/earbuds
1 (1.6%)
Play with my portable game system (PSP, Nintendo DS, etc)
0 (0%)
VERY OCCASIONAL use of my cellphone
21 (33.9%)
VERY OCCASIONAL use of texting
5 (8.1%)
None of the Above!
27 (43.5%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Voting closed: November 25, 2010, 07:58:12 am

Author Topic: Honesty Time -- Who Does It?  (Read 3865 times)

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
Re: Honesty Time -- Who Does It?
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2010, 04:10:13 pm »
You know you do it.

Sorry to disappoint, but I guess you never read my sig line.
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2010, 05:47:56 pm »
You know you do it.

Sorry to disappoint, but I guess you never read my sig line.
Sure, I'll make sure I read all the thousands of users' sig lines first and send a personal message to everyone where the poll doesn't apply or who might otherwise find it offensive!  :)

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2010, 07:04:23 pm »
I drive a Nissan Altima, innovations for safety, innovations for all... ;)  2 hands on the wheel :drive:

Oh and BTW brake overide since 2004! ;D :stick:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2010, 07:09:13 pm »

Why?  Do Nissan owners also have a problem with pushing the gas instead of the brake and finding neutral??

FWIW, when I brought my Lexus in for my valve springs, they wanted to do the brake over ride and I said "Not a chance" and had to sign a waiver...LOL
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2010, 07:15:39 pm »

Why?  Do Nissan owners also have a problem with pushing the gas instead of the brake and finding neutral??

FWIW, when I brought my Lexus in for my valve springs, they wanted to do the brake over ride and I said "Not a chance" and had to sign a waiver...LOL

You are the ultimate fanboy apologist rrocket :winner:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2010, 07:19:19 pm »

You are the ultimate fanboy apologist rrocket :winner:

No evidence...apart from door knobs using too many carpets....

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2010, 07:21:22 pm »
...as I said...You are the ultimate fanboy apologist rrocket...Toyota loves gullables :winner: :winner:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2010, 07:26:57 pm »
...as I said...You are the ultimate fanboy apologist rrocket...Toyota loves gullables :winner: :winner:

And the mainstream media loves sheep...

Shrugs...Just as much evidence to support UA as there was in the Ford (industry leading UA the one year), Nissan, Jaguar, etc...(which is to say....none)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 07:35:21 pm by rrocket »

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2010, 08:36:59 pm »
I'l play.

None of the above, as cell phone use with a Bluetooth hands-free adaptor is legal in Quebec.

Now if you had written "POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS" instead of "prohibited" then I'd give a different answer.  ;)

Seriously, I use my cell in the car with a headset but mainly for inbound calls.  I get maybe a half dozen inbound calls a month and send out maybe 3 or 4 in that same period.

I NEVER send text messages or engage in any other truly absorbing task while driving.

That is pretty much my response too.

I use a BlueAnt visor mounted hands free speaker for my cell and only answer calls with it as my cell does not have voice dial commands.

The stereo has MP3 CD capability, so no need to use a MP3 player.  Also there are steering wheel controls that really help.

GPS is programed before it gets mounted as its such a pain to do; I can not imagine doing it while driving.

One thing I have noticed about the law here in BC is that a lot of people now seem to be using their cells down at the bottom of the steering wheel or in their lap, maybe to get this illegal use out of sight?  This seems way more dangerous than having it up high where your eyes are not that far from the road.  But the police are still issuing lots of tickets, over 20,000 so far they say.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2010, 10:23:35 pm »

What a load of BS
Which is worst, kids in car or talking on a headset
 ::)

I think it depends on the conversation.   I can filter out whiny kids and are we there yet stuff.   Now that the kids are older, they are asking more deep thought provoking questions.  Those seems to take more concentration off driving.  Any way, shut up, I'm busy driving.  :)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2010, 10:49:18 pm »
Any opinions on the point of view that says it is having a phone conversation while driving that is the danger not just the act of actually holding a handset?  (IE: Bluetooth isn't really much safer)

This has been shown to be true.  The very fact that the other person is not in the car with the driver means that he or she will not adapt the conversation to the situation, simply because the caller is not aware of it!  Only a passenger will see the oncoming traffic issue or the snow storm or whatever else is happening outside the car.

The best option in those cases is to either pull over or end the call with a promise to call back later.  After which one should turn off the cell phone or other electronic gadget that is distracting the driver.

What a load of BS

I call BS on your argument AB, mainly because I have been there done that. Anyone in the car you can filter out, people on the phone are more difficult.  Any conversation that makes you think about the conversation is dangerous, as you're not thinking about driving.  But I've only nearly had a crash when on the phone through bluetooth, never through an in car conversation.

I take calls regularly in the car, through built in bluetooth.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2010, 06:43:52 am »
Anyone in the car you can filter out, people on the phone are more difficulty

I find the oppose and on BT I can press a button and the caller is gone
In the car I have no injection button!

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2010, 08:47:03 am »
Anyone in the car you can filter out, people on the phone are more difficulty

I find the oppose and on BT I can press a button and the caller is gone
In the car I have no injection button!

Injection, like for tranquilizers?  :rofl:  just messin' with ya

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2010, 09:54:16 am »
Any opinions on the point of view that says it is having a phone conversation while driving that is the danger not just the act of actually holding a handset?  (IE: Bluetooth isn't really much safer)

This has been shown to be true.  The very fact that the other person is not in the car with the driver means that he or she will not adapt the conversation to the situation, simply because the caller is not aware of it!  Only a passenger will see the oncoming traffic issue or the snow storm or whatever else is happening outside the car.

The best option in those cases is to either pull over or end the call with a promise to call back later.  After which one should turn off the cell phone or other electronic gadget that is distracting the driver.

What a load of BS

Headset, all the way.  I have two kids and know all about backseat bickering.  It's easy to ignore that after a while but the unseen conversant is another matter.  All you have is the voice on the other end of the call and all they have is your voice.  There is no context for behavior changes as the caller cannot see what the driver is dealing with at the moment.

Links:
http://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJMp0910137
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11760132
https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://www.apa.org/pubs/journals/releases/xap144-drews.pdf&embedded=true&chrome=true&pli=1
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 10:08:27 am by random006 »
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2010, 11:28:52 am »
AB + Random, fwiw, I agree with you.  The links are useful too.  I was part of a military profession where multiple inputs from multiple people constantly inundated me in the performance of  tasks..tasks that we were all working on together. With the right training, I never had trouble coping and distraction wasn't a problem.  Ask me to carry out a conversation on a cellphone, however (hands-free or not) while I'm driving and I'm USELESS!

I never pick up my phone (virtually or literally) without 1st pulling over.

*Disclaimer:  I am not posting this while behind the wheel*  ;)

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2010, 01:53:43 pm »
Person on the other end of the phone may not have a vested interest in your well-being.   People in the car with you usually do.   Once a passenger friend stopped mid-sentence in his conversation to tell me to brake.   :drive2:

Offline 99 Silver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +17/-8
  • Dog lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2010, 04:09:41 pm »
I talk on the phone, but the car has bluetooth handsfree and voice actuated calling.
Jerry
Kitchener
13 Boxster
17 Lexus RX350
In the past: 12 Acura TL, 04 MazdaSpeed Miata, 07 Infiniti M35, 05 Infiniti G35x, 03 Infiniti G35, 99 Acura 3.2TL, 99 Miata, 95 Chrysler Sebring, 93 Ford Probe GT, 93 Chrysler Concorde, 89 Taurus SHO, 86 Taurus, 79 Mazda RX7

spender

« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2010, 11:34:29 pm »
Apparently both Microsoft and Apple are working on car computer operating systems (for users) - so this is going to get much worse before it gets better!

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2010, 12:22:18 am »
Apparently both Microsoft and Apple are working on car computer operating systems (for users) - so this is going to get much worse before it gets better!

I agree, it will get worse.  Can't you now update facebook through Onstar?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2010, 07:44:56 am »
What is the difference between a MP3 player and a CD or radio
I start the Ipod on random and leave
I probably play with the radio more when I am using it