Author Topic: First Drive: 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid  (Read 23870 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
« on: October 26, 2010, 04:05:46 am »

Hyundai's first hybrid car offers some notable technological differences from other "full" hybrids in its class that make it more enjoyable to drive, reports Editor, Greg Wilson - plus a unique lithium polymer battery that Hyundai claims is superior.  

Read More...

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
Re: First Drive: 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 06:53:41 am »
Looks like a very attractive package.  With all of that torque I'd really be interested in the 0 - 100 and 0 - 80km/h times.  What are the torque characteristics of the Atkinson engine?

The Sonata Hybrid looks like the most advanced vehicle of its kind but I wonder if we aren't on such a steep rate of development that the latest model is almost always the most advanced.

In several press releases, Hyundai mentioned they were using an energy capture device on the exhaust ie heat to electricity.  In any research I've done it looks like the max efficiency of this process is around 8%.  Did Hyundai do better or did they drop it from production?

Love to see this kind of effort put into a very small car but maybe we need $2/liter gas or govt legislation for this to happen.

Cheers,
John Meyer

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 06:58:07 am »

In several press releases, Hyundai mentioned they were using an energy capture device on the exhaust ie heat to electricity.  In any research I've done it looks like the max efficiency of this process is around 8%.  Did Hyundai do better or did they drop it from production?
Could you explain

John MacDonald

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 06:58:32 am »
Looks like another winner from Hyundai.  With the new 2.0L Turbo model coming out and this hybrid you really cater to all tastes.  The only way I can imagine for them to improve upon these products is maybe offer a wagon version (this is actually a possibility), give an option of AWD (not in the cards), and maybe offer that fantastic R Diesel engine they have in europe (definitely not in the cards).  That being said I can't think of many midsize cars that offer this good of a lineup.

Here's hoping that they take these successes from the Sonata and do similar things to all their other products.  The Tucson seems to be the best option considering it already has the same 2.4 L (minus the GDI) and soon will have the 2.0L Turbo introduced.  I think if you put that Hybrid option in there it would sell well and get some great publicity.  

Hyundai should try and be the first to offer a Hybrid sub-compact and at the same time getting the record for cheapest hybrid and best fuel economy in North America.  Sure it would never be a high sales vehicle but I'm sure having both those records will only add to Hyundai's great reputation.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 07:00:39 am by John MacDonald »

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1216
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 07:18:20 am »
Looks like another winner from Hyundai.

I agree, they seem to have done a good job on improving the driving experience of a Hybrid.

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 08:16:13 am »
I have to agree that it looks better than the Turbo model.....maybe somebody did switch the two around.....wonder whats in that coffee anyway?     ;)
Have Car......Will Travel

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 09:19:15 am »
"In several press releases, Hyundai mentioned they were using an energy capture device on the exhaust ie heat to electricity.  In any research I've done it looks like the max efficiency of this process is around 8%.  Did Hyundai do better or did they drop it from production?"

Air Balancer - "Could you explain"

I think they were using the heat of the exhaust to create steam and feeding that through a small electric turbine generator.  That would be my guess unless they have advanced from there with some sort of solid state conversion process.  However, if this were the case, we would have heard about it in some big headlines.

2/3 of the fuel energy potential in a car goes up in heat so this is an interesting approach but I've never seen a practical implementation.  Too bad if they couldn't pull it off in production but high marks for trying.

Cheers,
John M.

HOMAFAN

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 09:35:36 am »
Sorry I don't agree with some comments on the looks. I think its a copy of the Honda Accord front end and it looks a bit ugly. The original looks better, more elegant. But high marks on the technology and interior.

MichaelJ

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 10:00:50 am »
The Sonata sold in some European countries (the UK for example) with the diesel engine is rated at 6L/100 combined... a better choice, in my opinion. Too bad it isn't offered over here.

Offline gord_boyd

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +7/-24
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '12 A7, '85 911 turbo
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 10:17:14 am »
It is a slippery design that matches Prius in Cd (.25) and I like rear bumper looks.  Must be extra panels underneath
that will be photographed by someone soon.  You'd think all cars, hybrid or not, should be maximising lower Cd's and particularly
rear-end release of the air.  (It is said elsewhere license on front black bumper band make design look better.)

I like that it is feeling a bit heavier and rear weight must balance car dynamics a bit more.  I find trunk picture
better than expected. 

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 10:40:21 am »
This is probably the only Hybrid I'd consider buying but the price would have to be on par with gas engine option otherwise there is no incentive. 

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 10:57:32 am »
This is probably the only Hybrid I'd consider buying but the price would have to be on par with gas engine option otherwise there is no incentive. 

No incentive? It's a lot more fuel efficient than the gas engine. How is that not an incentive?

And while the price is said to be in the low $30k range, you also have to consider that the hybrid is only available as a limited trim, which sells for $29k with the 2.4L engine. The 2.0T limited sells for $32k. With the amount of technology the hybrid packs, it wouldn't be unreasonable to have it priced close to the turbo limited...

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 11:09:43 am »
Good gawd, is this not about the 100th thread on the Sonata???

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 11:24:25 am »

Well there's three distinct versions of the Sonata... 2.4L, turbo and hybrid. Plus, there's been more than one articles for some of those versions.

If you don't like it, just skip any thread with the word 'Sonata' in its title and stop complaining.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 11:48:27 am »
SONATA GLS BEATS HYBRID IN MPGs
....I decided to test it against the base Sonata GLS, without any hybrid technology. I got one of my fellow jurors to drive the hybrid while I drove the base car, and we took them both out on a 15-mile loop, with me following him, so that we drove the same roads at the same speeds. Get this, the hybrid averaged 33.3 miles per gallon, while the base car got 37.2 mpg, nearly 4 miles to the gallon better. I think Hyundai has got some work to do on its hybrid, and this also shows just how good the base car is.

http://www.autolinedetroit.tv/daily/?p=12324#more-12324

John elaborated on the AutoLine AfterHours podcast that the route they took should have favoured the hybrid...and it obviously didn't.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 11:57:16 am »
....I decided to test it against the base Sonata GLS, without any hybrid technology. I got one of my fellow jurors to drive the hybrid while I drove the base car, and we took them both out on a 15-mile loop, with me following him, so that we drove the same roads at the same speeds. Get this, the hybrid averaged 33.3 miles per gallon, while the base car got 37.2 mpg, nearly 4 miles to the gallon better. I think Hyundai has got some work to do on its hybrid, and this also shows just how good the base car is.

John elaborated on the AutoLine AfterHours podcast that the route they took should have favoured the hybrid...and it obviously didn't.

That's interesting. I wonder what the conditions were though... speeds, how many full stops, etc, etc. It's not inconceivable that a regular gas engine does better than a hybrid in certain conditions... after all, the hybrid has to drag a whole bunch of batteries.

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 12:13:26 pm »

Seems obvious no? You were drafting behind the hybrid :)

And this is the nicest sedan on the planet IMO. Front end styling is clearly off the GT-R.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 12:15:42 pm by Spec5 »
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline rfielder

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 12:15:47 pm »
That is like the time that Top Gear took an M3 (M5? I am not going to look it up, but I recall watching the episode), and an economy car around their test track. The economy car was in the lead, and was doing what they could to make the best time possible. The BMW followed the economy car.

Final result - the BMW had far, far better gas milage than the economy car. Why? Because the economy car was being pushed hard, which for a BMW M series, is like idling along a straight street. In the end, it was interesting, but pointless.

As the comparison above may have been - no doubt the route kept the hybrid's gas engine running steady, maybe even being pushed, while the 2.4L engine was loafing along.

Which only goes to prove that you should understand how and where you will be driving a car before deciding which type of car will word best for you. Beyond that, only good for enterainment value.....

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2010, 12:40:51 pm »

Well there's three distinct versions of the Sonata... 2.4L, turbo and hybrid. Plus, there's been more than one articles for some of those versions.

If you don't like it, just skip any thread with the word 'Sonata' in its title and stop complaining.

Thought that might prompt a response from you.   ;D
This is what I was getting at.  Below are threads about the 2011 Sonata, there's probably more than this, but just looked at ones with posts <120 days:

2011 Hyundai Sonata
http://www.canadiandriver.com/forum/index.php/topic,71105.0.html

2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid  (note not this thread)
http://www.canadiandriver.com/forum/index.php/topic,71805.0.html

Test Drive: 2011 Hyundai Sonata GLS
http://www.canadiandriver.com/forum/index.php/topic,71532.0.html

First Drive: 2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T
http://www.canadiandriver.com/forum/index.php/topic,71820.0.html

Test Drive: 2011 Hyundai Sonata GL
http://www.canadiandriver.com/forum/index.php/topic,70944.0.html

2011 Hyndai Sonata Turbo
http://www.canadiandriver.com/forum/index.php/topic,71105.0.html

2011 Hyundai Sonata
http://www.canadiandriver.com/forum/index.php/topic,63798.0.html

2011 Hyundai Sonata GL; Day 1
http://www.canadiandriver.com/forum/index.php/topic,67558.0.html

First Drive: 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
http://www.canadiandriver.com/forum/index.php/topic,71884.0.html

I like info on this car as much as anyone else, but when there are that # of separate threads on the go its frustrating to keep track of them all.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2010, 12:45:34 pm »
So what, you're saying we should put every single bit of information regarding all versions of the Sonata into one single thread? All the reviews/articles go into that thread too? Sure... then you'd complain we have a thread with 100 pages. Either way, you'd complain... ;)