Author Topic: Do you adjust tilt/telescoping steering depending on type of driving?  (Read 3464 times)

Offline Loudpedal

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '08 Acura TL '08 Honda Odyssey
I've always driven with a telescoping wheel at the furthest point, and always adjusted the tilt simply so that guages were visible.   Really, I never bothered to play around with the adjustment any more than that. 

However, I recently tried different configurations.  I know it's not recommended, but I find when highway driving, pulling the wheel to it's closest point to myself, and dropping it a touch is very comfortable.  Around town, I like the wheel furthest away, and tilted up a bit. 

Anybody else use multi-settings for tilt/telescope depending on the type of driving you are doing?
Internal combustion thrust I trust

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
Re: Do you adjust tilt/telescoping steering depending on type of driving?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 05:08:51 pm »
One time setup for me.

Online Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-440
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 05:19:10 pm »
me too .. set it and leave it

Offline Arctic_White

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +18/-1483
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 05:29:43 pm »
^^

Same for me.

UmroAyyar

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 05:35:58 pm »
Its best to have a one setup for this.

But for longer city stop and go or long highway drives. I use different configuration for steering and seat angles.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 05:38:28 pm »
I set it once and leave it.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 05:56:43 pm »
I set it once and leave it.

Yup, same here.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Leviathan

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 06:43:57 pm »
set & forget.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 08:38:13 pm »
I set it and forget it, same with the seat, and I hate it when people adjust it.  I have to tolerate my wife moving the seat, but I absolutely hate it when mechanics etc adjust the steering wheel.  Drives me nuts.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 09:51:26 pm »
I absolutely hate it when mechanics etc adjust the steering wheel.  Drives me nuts.

Me too!  Fack, you're in my car for less than 60 seconds.  Leave my seat alone, don't touch the radio... or put everything back the way you found it.  Sheesh.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 10:08:28 pm »
I set it and forget it, same with the seat, and I hate it when people adjust it.  I have to tolerate my wife moving the seat, but I absolutely hate it when mechanics etc adjust the steering wheel.  Drives me nuts.

My next car will have seat memory settings.  Press a button and it goes back to my preprogrammed setting.  On the good side, I married someone similar in size to me.  :)

vdk

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 10:09:01 pm »
You think that's bad? Try not getting pissed when you get your car back and it's full of :censor: cat hair. WTF ??

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 04:20:35 am »
I've always driven with a telescoping wheel at the furthest point, and always adjusted the tilt simply so that guages were visible.   Really, I never bothered to play around with the adjustment any more than that. 

However, I recently tried different configurations.  I know it's not recommended, but I find when highway driving, pulling the wheel to it's closest point to myself, and dropping it a touch is very comfortable.  Around town, I like the wheel furthest away, and tilted up a bit. 

Anybody else use multi-settings for tilt/telescope depending on the type of driving you are doing?

The only time I really change it significantly is when I'll be racing/trackday/VERY spirited driving.  Generally I move the seat a bit closer so I can have me leg better able to give me leverage on the dead pedal if need be.  Since I'm a touch closer, that means I move my wheel about the same amount.

The Lexus has 3 personalized memory settings for seat, wheel and mirrors (and car preferences), so I have them already programmed in and it's a quick touch of the button tpo go back and forth.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Loudpedal

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '08 Acura TL '08 Honda Odyssey
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 12:48:17 pm »

The only time I really change it significantly is when I'll be racing/trackday/VERY spirited driving.  Generally I move the seat a bit closer so I can have me leg better able to give me leverage on the dead pedal if need be.  Since I'm a touch closer, that means I move my wheel about the same amount.

The Lexus has 3 personalized memory settings for seat, wheel and mirrors (and car preferences), so I have them already programmed in and it's a quick touch of the button tpo go back and forth.

I wonder if any vehicles have power tilt/telecope as part of the memory settings?  Obviously this would require electric actuation, and my TLs tilt/telescope is manual.   

vdk

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 12:49:19 pm »

I wonder if any vehicles have power tilt/telecope as part of the memory settings?  Obviously this would require electric actuation, and my TLs tilt/telescope is manual.   

Some do. I think the G37 has power tilt/telescope.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 11:23:55 am by vdk »

Offline PlanB

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Forester 2.5, 2006 Impreza 2.5, 2008 Honda VFR 800Fi
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2010, 04:20:49 pm »
Steering Wheel, seat, side view mirrors and rear view mirror - all set once and left alone. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2010, 07:59:07 pm »

I wonder if any vehicles have power tilt/telecope as part of the memory settings?
  Obviously this would require electric actuation, and my TLs tilt/telescope is manual.   

All of my Lexus have had it...and my 1997 Lincoln Mark VIII had it too....

Offline Marko

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2010, 10:20:52 pm »
Haha I know a fat guy who adjusts it every time he gets in/out. He likes the wheel down as low as it will go, but he can't get in/out with it that low so he raises it when he gets out and lowers it after he gets in.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2010, 07:22:36 am »
Haha I know a fat guy who adjusts it every time he gets in/out. He likes the wheel down as low as it will go, but he can't get in/out with it that low so he raises it when he gets out and lowers it after he gets in.

That's classic. :)
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2010, 07:58:24 am »
I set the tilt and tele and forget it and really, really like the G's memory feature for them + seats and mirrors. The same for when my Wife uses the car - she has seat memory setting #1. (I may be old, but I'm not an old fool)
Say what you want about cars being crammed to the gills with electronics these days but these features are just a godsend.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?