Author Topic: Road-rage in Kingston  (Read 8840 times)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Road-rage in Kingston
« on: October 20, 2010, 10:19:25 pm »
This guy is a nut job.

My better half was on her way home and had just passed him when he apparently took offense to this and sped up and started honking his horn while trying to not let her have enough room as the lanes merged ahead of the next light they were coming to even though she was ahead of him by this point.   She sped up and merged well ahead of him. (as in, did not cut him off)

He then flies by her on the outside in a construction zone and tries to run her off the road, she slams on the brakes and almost hits the curb rather than hit him at which point he gets ahead and stops, blocking her her in and blocking one of the major streets in Kingston..

He then gets out of his car yelling and walking back towards her.   She yells at him to get back into his car as she's calling the cops because he's crazy and that she's taking his plate number.  He has a moment of realizing what he's doing and gets back into his car and drives off.  A guy in a truck behind her gets out to ask if she's ok and said he was going to call the police to report him.  She took his photo when he stopped at the next lights.

She called Kingston police to report it around 2pm, so far they apparently don't care enough about this sort of thing to call back.

In Florida I think she would have been within her rights to have shot him.
Mr Pickypants

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
Re: Road-rage in Kingston
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 10:27:49 pm »

In Florida I think she would have been within her rights to have shot him.

We all wish it was that simple.

And no...the police do not care about this sort of thing.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 10:43:03 pm »
Not so fast. The OPP visited a nut bar who waved a metal bar out his window at me from his (actually his GF's) Porsche Cayenne this summer.  I was with my kids at the time, going to see a movie.  Apparently I did something that set him off?  The cops took it very seriously and he has a court date set.  Since I will have no problem identifying him (the cops were astounded how detailed my description was) the cops think he'll plead guilty to whatever it is you charge crazys like this with.  They asked me if I wanted to press charges, btw.  I said "of course!". What lesson would there be in the whole thing for the kids, if Dad gives in to this kind of bullying?

Blur911, make sure you pursue this.  Sounds like your wife did all the right things.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 10:47:03 pm »
Not so fast. The OPP visited a nut bar who waved a metal bar out his window at me from his (actually his GF's) Porsche Cayenne this summer.  I was with my kids at the time, going to see a movie.  Apparently I did something that set him off?  The cops took it very seriously and he has a court date set.  Since I will have no problem identifying him (the cops were astounded how detailed my description was) the cops think he'll plead guilty to whatever it is you charge crazys like this with.  They asked me if I wanted to press charges, btw.  I said "of course!". What lesson would there be in the whole thing for the kids, if Dad gives in to this kind of bullying?

Blur911, make sure you pursue this.  Sounds like your wife did all the right things.

It's different.  The guy in your case was brandishing a weapon.  Big difference than someone stepping out of a car to chastise you. 

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 10:51:23 pm »
Maybe, maybe not.  Blur's wife clearly felt threatened.  That's all the cops need for "common assault".

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 10:53:33 pm »
Big difference than someone stepping out of a car to chastise you. 

Yes, but getting out of the car is a threatening action that is much more serious than flipping someone off.  Our local cops would be paying this fellow a visit to let him know that this behaviour is not acceptable.

I was passed in a school zone while I was waiting at a crosswalk, took the moron's plate, and the cops charged him.  I was the witness, and he got a pretty hefty fine.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 11:03:58 pm »
That's just it.  There's nothing they can do but say "bad dog".  So often they won't even bother.

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 11:59:37 pm »
Kingston police ahh. They drive around the ghetto I mean student village to ticket people who just step off their front lawn onto the sidewalk with alcohol in their hands, but they can't be bothered to go talk to this guy. Maybe she should try again. If the truck driver can be a witness they might do this.

This sort of :censor: happens all the time. I had an incident on the 401 on Tuesday with an F150 driven by an idiot. I give him space to come in which he took so long that the space closed as the car in front slowed due to the busy off ramp. He got mad at me for that and when I let the space open up again by slowing down he cuts into the lane and than brake test me twice. So I decide well ok I'll just get out of his way but he of course cuts dangerously in front of me when I tried and then brake hard again. If I was in a beater I'd have half a mind to just hit him and see how he likes explaining it to the cops and his insurance just what he was doing. And the best part of all this was when he finally had to get out of my way to get to his DVP off ramp (I was going onto the 404) he was stuck, cause the DVP is always packed at that hour. So really what was he thinking? I don't know i guess some people don't think when they are driving.

Honestly, some of the behaviour people get up to on the road is pretty stupid. Same commute where I encountered the stupid F150 I also saw a tow truck driver almost win the darwin award. This was off ramp antics again at the 404 to 407 off ramp. There are always a holes who goes up that off ramp to cut in suddenly at the end when traffic is slow. Only this time traffic was only slightly heavy. Yet this tow truck blast up the 407 off ramp cuts in front of me (big gap no issue there, I was doing my christian motorist part and following the line for the hwy 7 exit) and immediately cut into the next lane. He came within a foot of being atomized by a dump truck. And considering the space to me I could have easily have been involved too. Completely pointless exercise and by god I hope he :censor: his pants a little so he'll remember not to be a dumb ass next time.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 12:05:54 am by gotak »

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 09:04:59 am »
Good job blur911.  I have had two bad road rage cases in the past two days.  One in which I witnessed a similar situation to what happened to your wife between a Celica and a CSX on the 403 (minus the getting out of the car thing).  I chased down the Celica and got his plate number.  I had borrowed my Dad's Rondo V6 that day to do some moving and was still able to catch up to him  :rofl:

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 09:10:20 am »
I haven't driven to work for a couple years now, and one thing I've noticed is that when I do drive places, I see almost no road raging, a lot less tailgating, and not a lot of aggressive behaviour.  The drive to and from work seems to be bringing out the worst in people.

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 10:03:42 am »
I haven't driven to work for a couple years now, and one thing I've noticed is that when I do drive places, I see almost no road raging, a lot less tailgating, and not a lot of aggressive behaviour.  The drive to and from work seems to be bringing out the worst in people.

Half awake, usually rushed cause they took too long to get ready, heavy traffic that annoys some people. Really BAD music from the GTA radio stations. And for me the biggest thing auto transmission that lets people drive half asleep or do too many things like drink coffee, put on make up and talk on the cell phone in their cars.

People keep talking about how great driving in europe is. Maybe it's because everyone drives stick and, IMHO, it keeps your brain more engaged vs an automatic car.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 10:07:31 am »
gotak hit the nail on the head.  People don't think when driving.

Yesterday I was going 90 in an 80 (oh oh fine me now), anyways I get passed by a minivan doing 110 who passed about 3 cars behind me as well.  I then stopped behind him at the next redlight and proceeded to follow him at 60km/h in the same 80 zone for the next 10 km as traffic was busy and ALWAYS is at that time.  So he obviously wasn't thinking....

Offline overtakeyouintheleftlane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2003 Pontiac Grand AM (sent for scrap), 2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon (sold) and a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2017 Hyundai Accent GL sedan
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2010, 01:31:44 pm »
OP- Good thing your wife is ok.

3 years ago I was driving back from Yonge/Finch coming home from work around 9pm. This guy in a Miata is going about 20km/h in the left lane on Yonge St. southbound, (50km/h zone), everytime I tried to pass him, he sped up. I got pissed, and when I finally got the chance I sped past him and overtook (not cut off), he was giving me the highbeams and finger. I flipped him off. He kept going on for another 2km's until a cop came northbound on Yonge St. He stops now. I get on the 401 eastbound and when I was getting off at Brimley Rd. going southbound, the Miata appeared out of nowhere, cut me off and forced me to stop on Brimley Rd. He was big, as in 6'3" and I'm 5'7". He was about in his 40's. He came out screaming at me, coming towards me so I got out of the car with a metal baseball bat to defend myself. He got scared, I told him to get the *uck back in the car otherwise I'll crack your head open and don't follow me again. He left.

That was the most messed up case I've had. I actually got scared. Why the hell would you follow me from North York to Scarborough? Obviously he didn't have good intentions. I did what I had to do.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 01:50:32 pm »
I think a lot of road-ragers are just out looking for a target for their anger and will find somebody that'll :censor: them off somehow.

BTW, KPD have not called back.  I'm not surprised. :popo: ::)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 02:02:18 pm »
Kind of low priority but perhaps they will track down and talk to mr. rage first and then call you.  I'd give them a few days.

I called in an incident of street racing, like literally guys doing arm drops.  They called me back 4 hours later and said they didn't see anything.  Well duh, it was in progress when I called, they left after 30 min they aren't stupid to stay there for hours on end.

Offline Skippy

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-0
  • Just me
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2010, 02:36:46 pm »
I think a lot of road-ragers are just out looking for a target for their anger and will find somebody that'll :censor: them off somehow.

I had some guy brake test me while I was driving through Queens the other day.  Right in front of the sports arena.  The light had turned green and we were all going through the light and he suddenly jammed his brakes.  I just got around him and he rolled down his window and flipped me the bird while he just sat there in the middle of the intersection blocking traffic and horns blaring.  Then he finally got under way, overtook me and slammed the brakes right in front of someone else while crossing Johnson (?) street.  It was around 1 in the morning so I dunno...

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2010, 02:40:31 pm »

I had some guy brake test me while I was driving through Queens the other day.  Right in front of the sports arena.  The light had turned green and we were all going through the light and he suddenly jammed his brakes.  I just got around him and he rolled down his window and flipped me the bird while he just sat there in the middle of the intersection blocking traffic and horns blaring.  Then he finally got under way, overtook me and slammed the brakes right in front of someone else while crossing Johnson (?) street.  It was around 1 in the morning so I dunno...
Was it a grey VW Golf with license plate AVPW 481?   ;)

vdk

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2010, 02:58:07 pm »
Wait this guy has a sticker with little kids holding hands on the rear window..  :rofl2: :rofl2:

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2010, 03:54:43 pm »

Kingston's got some strange characters. Wonder if it's a local who didn't get into Queen's or somehow thinks anyone driving a car on campus is a rich kid (some are but a lot are just older students who had work a few years before they started university) and wanted to do something about it. Funny how cops are everywhere catching speeders but never anywhere to catch those crazies.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2010, 03:59:40 pm »
Wait this guy has a sticker with little kids holding hands on the rear window..  :rofl2: :rofl2:

Those aren't kids holding hands....they are individual stickers marking each kid he has mowed down in a school zone.   :'(