Author Topic: Why oh Why? 0 Seatbelts + Rain + Unsafe Pass + Alcohol = 2 Dead  (Read 2322 times)

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
Why oh Why? 0 Seatbelts + Rain + Unsafe Pass + Alcohol = 2 Dead
« on: October 17, 2010, 09:31:49 pm »
http://tinyurl.com/33zywfy (link to Ottawa Citizen article)

Two men died in a horrific crash just to the south of the rural village of Greely, Ontario, this past week.  According to police, neither of the occupants of the Ford Windstar were wearing seatbelts.  The southbound Windstar apparently crossed into the path of a northbound Ford Escape while attempting to pass a slower moving vehicle.  I know that area well.  There's a long sweeping corner with double yellow lines.  It was raining at the time, too.  And (surprise, surprise) the police are investigating evidence that "alcohol was involved".  The sole occupant of the other car is in critical condition in hospital.

The place where the crash occurred is about 500 m north of where a male friend of my daughter was killed while riding along as a passenger in the back seat of a car just over two years ago.  The cause of that crash was a young woman who fell asleep behind the wheel.  My daughter's friend wasn't wearing a seatbelt either. 

The question in the subject line is rhetorical, btw.

:(

« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 07:06:22 pm by Angry Chicken »

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
Re: Why of Why? 0 Seatbelts + Rain + Unsafe Pass + Alcohol = 2 Dead
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 09:05:47 am »
Here's a link to an article in today's Ottawa Sun about the man driving the other vehicle:

http://www.ottawasun.com/news/ottawa/2010/10/17/15723886.html

Through absolutely no fault of his own, this guy will undergo months of pain and suffering because of this jerk's incredibly selfish, and stupid act.  Hopefully he has a speedy recovery.
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 10:08:47 am »
Here's a link to an article in today's Ottawa Sun about the man driving the other vehicle:

http://www.ottawasun.com/news/ottawa/2010/10/17/15723886.html

Through absolutely no fault of his own, this guy will undergo months of pain and suffering because of this jerk's incredibly selfish, and stupid act.  Hopefully he has a speedy recovery.
Very sad.   I'm waiting to hear more information from the investigation, but it would have been convenient if the driver who caused the accident had been wearing a seatbelt as he might still be around to answer to the man whose life he has so unalterably affected.  Of course, he *is* dead, and not to say disrepectful things about the dead, it would also be nice to know what was going through his head (if anything) when he decideded to cross that line (literally and metaphorically).

The initial report said that the driver of the other vehicle was in critical condition.  Nice to see that he's going to make a full recovery, even if it will take 5 months!  So often the drunk kills someone else and leaves himself alive, just to repeat the cycle.  There was a guy in Ottawa, named Matt Brownlee, who finally got put away for a long time after many repeated crashes where other people were seriously hurt or died.  http://www.madd.ca/english/news/stories/n20070830-4.htm

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 10:29:39 am »
The problem with alcohol is the negative effect it has on someone's judgement and ability to make good decisions. That's true whether it's the decision to pass or in fact,the decision to get behind the wheel in the first place.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 03:57:36 pm »
You're right of course.  We'll never know.  I just fear every time I hear about these things that it will be another family member, a friend, or a friend of a friend.  My wife and I have already been involved in 2 horrific crashes where a distracted or sleepy driver was the root cause.  How much more distracted/stupid does drinking make you?  :(

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 05:04:19 pm »
After reading about his injuries, I would be shocked if this guy only took five months to recover - in fact, he will never be the same again.  Had a coworker who went through the same thing four years ago (fewer injuries) and she still walks with a cane some days.  What a stupid, stupid thing to happen.   :shake: 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 05:13:49 pm »
Soon there will be mandatory in car breathalizers, so hopefully it will put an end to this problem...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 05:17:11 pm »
Soon there will be mandatory in car breathalizers, so hopefully it will put an end to this problem...

It would be nice to think it's that simple but....

"pssst...hey kid, here's five bucks, blow in this thing for me willya?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 05:27:34 pm »

It would be nice to think it's that simple but....

"pssst...hey kid, here's five bucks, blow in this thing for me willya?

Oh that would happen....but in that case I'd make the law immediate lifetime ban from driving if that's found to be the case.

And the new one's won't require a "blow".  They will do it right through the skin by merely touching the steering wheel, shifter, etc.  And it could take a sample every couple of minutes, so getting someone to "blow" for you won't work.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 05:44:44 pm »
In the two  quoted reports no one has said that there actually was alcohol involved just that it was suspected.  An autopsy will have the answer however.

Maybe I am getting old but I would never pass anything on a wet two lane road in darkness  nowadays.  Well maybe an Amish in a buggy but they are usually mostly off the carriageway anyway.

I wonder what condition the tires on the Windstar were in?
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 06:45:33 pm »
Good point. A lot of people out here in rural SE Ontario tend to run their cars into the ground.  Bald tires are far too common and the OPP is going crazy trying to run down old cars that don't even have valid registration/license plates. Not saying that that was a contributing factor in this case, but it sure would be great if there was a periodic mandatory safety inspection for Ontario vehicles.  As it stands, there is only a "safety" inspection when the vehicle is registered, but not subsequent to that as there is in other provinces such as Nova Scotia.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 07:07:01 pm by Angry Chicken »

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 10:21:08 pm »
You're right of course.  We'll never know.  I just fear every time I hear about these things that it will be another family member, a friend, or a friend of a friend.  My wife and I have already been involved in 2 horrific crashes where a distracted or sleepy driver was the root cause.  How much more distracted/stupid does drinking make you?  :(

I believe alcohol is a de-inhibitor.  It has a negative effect on the part of the brain that says "you shouldn't do that".  It also slows the reflexes.   Bad judgement and bad reaction time, not a good combo when driving.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 10:30:47 pm »
I believe alcohol is a de-inhibitor. 

No kidding.  The only time I hear about people sleeping with fugly people the story always starts off with "This one time I was drunk...."   :rofl2:

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 10:41:21 pm »
I believe alcohol is a de-inhibitor. 

No kidding.  The only time I hear about people sleeping with fugly people the story always starts off with "This one time I was drunk...."   :rofl2:

I guess thats the alternative to "so I know this guy who, once..."
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 04:33:43 am »
Good point. A lot of people out here in rural SE Ontario tend to run their cars into the ground.  Bald tires are far too common and the OPP is going crazy trying to run down old cars that don't even have valid registration/license plates. Not saying that that was a contributing factor in this case, but it sure would be great if there was a periodic mandatory safety inspection for Ontario vehicles.  As it stands, there is only a "safety" inspection when the vehicle is registered, but not subsequent to that as there is in other provinces such as Nova Scotia.

I find it pretty strange that Ontario doesn't have annual safety inspections. What we have here aren't the most thorough but they do give a snapshot of the main vehicle systems. (tires,brakes,steering,suspension, exhaust,lights etc etc). The big weakness here is that the inspections are done by licenced garages rather than a government facility and it's sometimes possible to "buy" a passing grade if you know where to go.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2010, 04:41:47 am »

I find it pretty strange that Ontario doesn't have annual safety inspections. What we have here aren't the most thorough but they do give a snapshot of the main vehicle systems. (tires,brakes,steering,suspension, exhaust,lights etc etc). The big weakness here is that the inspections are done by licenced garages rather than a government facility and it's sometimes possible to "buy" a passing grade if you know where to go.

We already get raped enough with the Drive Clean program, thanks.... ;D

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2010, 05:07:43 am »

We already get raped enough with the Drive Clean program, thanks.... ;D

It's only a $25 inspection fee and if it keeps me from having to share the road with even a few bald-tired, brakeless clunkers it's worth it to me.