Author Topic: Toyota Dealer "Caught" Cheating On Lease Return Repairs  (Read 10379 times)

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
Toyota Dealer "Caught" Cheating On Lease Return Repairs
« on: October 12, 2010, 02:58:36 pm »
Interesting story, wonder how the APA and MVSA will actually deal with this.  Ties in well with some of the horror stories that have been posted here about lease return damages.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/10/11/bc-leasereturncharge.html

Customer catches car dealer's possible deception

Pattison Auto Group blames 'miscommunication' over lease repair charge

Last Updated: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 

By Kathy Tomlinson, CBC News

A Toyota customer from North Vancouver believes she was deceived by a large car dealership after repairs she paid for on a leased vehicle were not done as originally promised.

"They told me something that was not true," said Shirley Sidey. "I caught them red-handed."

When Sidey returned her Highlander to Jim Pattison North Shore Toyota in August, she was charged $600, plus $72 tax, for a small dent on the bumper. She said the salesman told her the bumper had to be replaced before the vehicle could be put up for sale.

Sidey paid and went home, but she still had floor mats she had bought for the vehicle. She advertised them for sale on Craigslist and a man who just bought the same Highlander responded to her ad.

Previous and new customers meet

"Serendipity. Karma. Fate. It was meant to be," said Sidey. "This guy came in my driveway — he drove up and there was my car."

Sidey said she was shocked to find the dealership had sold the car to the new owner "as is, without doing the bumper repair she had paid for.
Jim Pattison North Shore Toyota charged Shirley Sidney $672 for a small dent on the bumper of her leased vehicle when she returned it, but sold the vehicle without doing the repair. Jim Pattison North Shore Toyota charged Shirley Sidney $672 for a small dent on the bumper of her leased vehicle when she returned it, but sold the vehicle without doing the repair. (CBC)

"I came out on the driveway and walked around the car — and there was the old bumper still on the car," said Sidey. "I asked him if he knew anything about it — he said 'No.' I said, 'Did they tell you [that] you were going to get a new bumper?' — and he said 'No.'

"He didn't even notice the bumper. I said, 'Oh my God, there's that same dent!' and he said, 'What dent?'"

Sidey said she called the Pattison dealership immediately and spoke to the salesman who had charged her $600 for a new bumper.

"I asked him, 'Did you put a new bumper on that car?' He told me there was a new bumper on that car. I said, 'Are you sure? Are you absolutely sure that there's a new bumper on that car?' and he said, 'I am absolutely sure that there is a new bumper on that car,'" said Sidey.

"I was angry — I was furious."

Sidey complained to the general manager and asked for her money back. She said he told her the dealership had every intention of replacing the bumper, even though the new owner knew nothing about that.

"They said they were waiting for the new owner to come in to get some other things done on the vehicle," she said.

Sidey said he also indicated she was fortunate they didn't charge her more — for other needed repairs.

"They went on the offensive and put me on the defensive," said Sidey. "They told me there was a whole bunch of other things wrong with the car, but they were not going to charge me for all those things," said Sidey.

Sidey did not understand how that could be the case because the vehicle had been fully serviced at the same dealership in August.

"They were trying to bully me into keeping me quiet by saying I was lucky and I was getting away with all this stuff," she said.

Customer responsible for damage

Bill Harbottle, president of the Jim Pattison Auto Group, declined to speak on tape, but told CBC News that Sidey's lease contract with Toyota makes her responsible for any damage to the vehicle, beyond normal wear and tear.

"She wanted to turn the car in. She is responsible for paying for any damage," said Harbottle. "Whether we decide to fix it or not, or sell it as is, that is up to us."

Harbottle admitted there was a "miscommunication" by the salesman, when he told Sidey the bumper had been replaced, but insisted that was not intentional.

"She was not deceived. [The salesman] didn't even know the car was sold," said Harbottle. "Admittedly, he did not answer the question the way he should have. He probably just should have said — I will check."

As a result of Sidey's complaints, the Pattison dealership apologized and refunded her $672. Harbottle said a new bumper has been installed on the vehicle for the new owner.

"If we say we are going to do something to fix the car, we will do it," he added.

Lease repair complaints growing

The Automobile Protection Association (APA), a national consumer advocacy group, says it is hearing an increasing number of consumer complaints over inflated lease damage charges.

"The dealer assesses the damage at retail [price] — and then may or may not do the repairs," said George Iny of the Automobile Protection Association. "It is a form of deception on the consumer."

Iny explained automakers are getting tougher on consumers, and some are charging much more for damage than what it costs them to repair. To consumers, he said, the charges might be outrageous, but to dealers, that's just way things are done.

"You have damage appraisals that are exaggerated and often people are not told what actually gets done," said Iny.

"They might charge for four new tires when two used tires might do. [Consumers are billed] for proper body work when in fact they bring in a guy to punch out dents for 17 bucks for each dent."

He advised customers with leased vehicles to get their vehicles appraised for damage, before returning them, then get the necessary repairs done themselves.

The APA has set up a service for consumers in Montreal and Toronto, where consumers can get an independent appraisal done.

"Our sense at the APA is that the actual inspection is reasonable, but that the damage appraisals are often exaggerated," said Iny.

Alleged deception to be investigated

As for how Sidey felt deceived by the salesman, B.C.'s Motor Vehicle Sales Authority (MVSA) said she might have a case. The agency is responsible for enforcing provincial consumer protection laws in that industry.

"It certainly doesn't sound appropriate. On the face of it, it sounds deceptive," said Doug Longhurst, the director of consumer services and professional development. "Even if they were fully in their rights, [the dealership] did not put their best foot forward."

Longhurst said it is a violation of B.C.'s consumer protection laws to fool or mislead a consumer in any way.

"If a consumer is willing to file a complaint we will investigate — and make it so they don't have to work as hard as [Sidey] did — to get a resolution," said Longhurst.

Sidey has filed a complaint with the MVSA. Even though her money was refunded, Sidey said she still wants her experience to serve as a warning to other consumers.

"It started out as being about my $600 but then it came down to the deception and the disrespect I felt when I was dealing with this company," said Sidey.

2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
Re: Toyota Dealer "Caught" Cheating On Lease Return Repairs
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 03:03:27 pm »
I agree with Toyota on this case... it's up to the dealership to do the repair or not. If they don't do the repair, they'll likely have to lower the asking price when they sell the car. Regardless of what they decide to do, the person who returns the car has to pay for the damages.

This is a non-story, IMO.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 03:09:58 pm »
Yeah, other then the Salesman telling her that it was replaced, the dealer does have full rights to do this.  I always have been afraid at the end of leases, but so far so good.

Offline dash

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Acura RLX hybrid
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 03:43:27 pm »
Agreed non-story. Too bad salesman wasn't diligent.

I'm sure it is a common practice not making the repair and possibly taking the hit sale (realty being $0 hit). Some consumers are just lazy/ignorant, most manufacturers send out lease-end packages clearly stating your obligations, there is plenty of time to arrange an evaluation and handle the repairs yourself. 

Admittedly going through this process has turned me off leasing, I guess it was a bit of denial, when evaluation results are presented. 
"Why be quiet, and thought a fool, when you can speak up and remove all doubt"

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 03:54:13 pm »
I think the real problem is the fabrication of charges and overcharging for those false repairs.  Take a windscreen with a minor chip in an out-of-the-way place.  That's normal wear and tear, not damage.  It won't change the value of the car to the leasing company, but the dealer decides to make a bunch of money by charging a bundle for new glass.  The customer could take the car away and get a new windscreen at a glass shop, but they're still out the dough that didn't need to be spent.

It's a racket, and with dealer profits being squeezed by smaller margins from the manufacturers, I see them milking their service and parts departments not only with screwing service customers, but lease returns.

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 04:01:15 pm »
I think the real problem is the fabrication of charges and overcharging for those false repairs.  Take a windscreen with a minor chip in an out-of-the-way place.  That's normal wear and tear, not damage.  It won't change the value of the car to the leasing company, but the dealer decides to make a bunch of money by charging a bundle for new glass.  The customer could take the car away and get a new windscreen at a glass shop, but they're still out the dough that didn't need to be spent.

It's a racket, and with dealer profits being squeezed by smaller margins from the manufacturers, I see them milking their service and parts departments not only with screwing service customers, but lease returns.

John's got it.  The section headed "Lease repair complaints growing" is really the crux of this issue, not so much the actual single incident.  But hopefully it may be the trigger to some proper investigations on these lease return repairs and whether they are in fact deceptive.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 05:20:42 pm »
You mean a stealership doing something underhanded?  Hard to believe, really... :rofl2:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 10:24:11 pm »
Technically it should be their choice whether to actually do the repair or not but the sleaze factor is pretty clear here.

The very large grey zone on damage vs. wear-and-tear really puts me off leasing. I do not like selling a free option to the dealer to charge me an couple extra thousand.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 10:44:48 pm »
Pattison Auto Group blames 'miscommunication' over lease repair charge.

Of course...how could it possibly be anything else...but miscommunication in such an honourable business.  ::)

Car business = scumbags of the earth.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 10:47:17 pm by hcrv »
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 11:07:34 pm »
But hopefully it may be the trigger to some proper investigations on these lease return repairs and whether they are in fact deceptive.

Where is the deception?

Lessee returns vehicle to Lessor.  Probably omits reporting damage, but is found on inspection.   Who is the Lessor  ???  NOT THE DEALER!!!!  

At point of return the dealer is the INSPECTING AGENT for the Lessor.  As the INSPECTING AGENT, the dealer is liable for the repair COST only, not the actual repair.  Accordingly, dealer levies a charge ($$$).   However, Lessee has OPTION !   Accept dealer's charge or actually get the repair done elsewhere and pay whatever amount to repair shop.

In this case, Lessee decides to cut Lessor, Toyota Financial Services, a cheque for the damage.  Then dealer contacts Lessor and says they will buy car for stated buyout.  Lessor says fine, it's yours as is including damage.  The Lessee's money for damage stays with the car.

Dealer now is the owner of this car.  Then sell it for X price.  Has the unrepaired damage been factored into that price.  Whose to say?  Certainly not the Governments business and certainly not the Lessee's business..  

If this story bothers you and you lease; buy a brand that will be somewhat in demand at lease end and be in a position to buy the vehicle out if necessary.  Otherwise, don't lease.  :)

Leviathan

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 11:12:35 pm »
Technically it should be their choice whether to actually do the repair or not but the sleaze factor is pretty clear here.
Not surprised a dealership did this but it is a little surprising that it was one of Jim Pattison's.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 11:14:03 pm »
Not surprised a dealership did this but it is a little surprising that it was one of Jim Pattison's.

Why?  Do they have a good reputation?  I am unfamiliar with the dealer.....

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 12:00:35 am »

The guy is a billionaire. Based out of Vancouver. Saw a story on him once. IIRC he started with nothing. http://www.jimpattison.com/
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 12:05:00 am »

The guy is a billionaire. Based out of Vancouver. Saw a story on him once. IIRC he started with nothing. http://www.jimpattison.com/

Bazillionaires who started with nothing usually do under-handed things and step on alot of necks to become wealthy...Just saying...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 12:26:21 am »
My firm did some work for Overwaitea a long time ago, and at the completion of the project, we met Pattison.  He was an odd mix of home-spun down-to-earth and "I'm richer than God" hubris. Brian Piwek was a pleasure to work with, and I wish that we'd been able to do more work with them, but we sold our firm shortly after.

Leviathan

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 02:33:18 am »

He is well respected around here. He pretty much saved Expo86 from complete disaster - and he did it for the lofty salary of $1.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 08:10:13 am »
I agree the issue of if they did the repair or not souldn't be the point.

What is unsavory is the excessive charge for what appears to be a minor dent. Small enough that the new owner didn't notice it. Charging 600 which is the cost to replace the bumper with a new OEM one and paint it is bad faith. Its common practice to repair bumper damage as long as there are not major tears in the bumper for a fraction of the cost. An aftermarket bumper will often be available for 1/2 the cost. Lease contracts usually state what damage is classified as normal wear and tear (our Volvo even came with a little card with a hole in it and any dent that fit within the hole was to be normal wear and tear and not charged.

What these people were caught doing was not misrepresenting what they were going to do to the vehicle. Once its turned in and bought from the leasing company they can do as they wish. Its charging either for dameg that should be termed wear and tear or overchaging for damage. I agurentee that if the dent is as she stated (small) that she could have taken it to a body shop and had it repaired to a standard that no one would know it was there for less than 1/2 what she was charged.

That is why I recommend to anyone returning a lease that has any visible damage that they take it to the dealer's own body shop (without reaveling thyey are returing) for an estimate on repairing any damage. Just tell them you want to spruce your car up and are getting quotes. If they want the job they won't overcharge (knowing they have competion) and you'll get a realistic idea that you can wave in the face of the inspector when they try to tell you the damage will cost x$ to repair.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 12:00:29 pm »
The woman who leased the car is responsible to pay for the damage.

However, it's up to the vehicle owner to decide whether to take this money to do the repairs, or pocket the money and take a lower price when selling.

However, from the article, it sounds like it was fairly sleazy the way it was handled.  And the salesman lying about it 'absolutely' being replaced is a nice touch:  never claim that something was 'absolutely' done, unless you personally have witnessed it.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline PlanB

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Forester 2.5, 2006 Impreza 2.5, 2008 Honda VFR 800Fi
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2010, 02:31:15 pm »

Bazillionaires who started with nothing usually do under-handed things and step on alot of necks to become wealthy...Just saying...

That is quite a sweeping stereotype statement.  Kind of like saying anyone on an internet message board with over 11000 posts has no life (not you of course).   Just saying.....

Save-On/Overwaite group alone has donated/raised over 10 million dollars for charity in western Canada. 

Is Jim Pattison a saint, no.  Is he 'underhanded' because of this single incident, no.   

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2010, 05:09:17 pm »

That is quite a sweeping stereotype statement.  Kind of like saying anyone on an internet message board with over 11000 posts has no life (not you of course).   Just saying.....

Save-On/Overwaite group alone has donated/raised over 10 million dollars for charity in western Canada. 

Is Jim Pattison a saint, no.  Is he 'underhanded' because of this single incident, no.   
What do you have a hand in his pocket ::)

RR did write usually and to become, he never wrote what he is like after he made the money