Author Topic: How did Hyundai do it?  (Read 5742 times)

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-2
    • View Profile
How did Hyundai do it?
« on: October 11, 2010, 11:00:13 pm »
274 HP out of a 2 liter turbo engine that runs on REGULAR? What happened did the law of physics changed? I am jealous lol, my speed 3 only gets 263 ponies and it needs premium!

Leviathan

Re: How did Hyundai do it?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 11:21:40 pm »
Newer generation of injectors for better fuel management would be a good start.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 11:25:44 pm »

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 11:29:32 pm »
Premium dude....premium!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dceB3SKBw9w
;D

BTW gotak, Kawasaki is getting ~200hp out of a 1L normally aspirated engine in the new ZX10.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 11:34:09 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 12:44:15 am »
274 HP out of a 2 liter turbo engine that runs on REGULAR? What happened did the law of physics changed? I am jealous lol, my speed 3 only gets 263 ponies and it needs premium!

VW has a 2.0L turbo that gets somewhere between 200hp and 210hp and it needs premium too!

I don't know the specifics about engines but as usual... technology plus some, what appears to be, good engineering makes all the difference. Also a little movation.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 05:50:41 am »
Crank up the boost, cool the charge well and have a quite sophisticated strategy for the software controlling ignition and injection, both timing and duration of both.  That is after the  well engineered cylinder head and piston top design.
 VW/Audi have a version of the TFSI 2.0 that does 266 bhp. It uses premium as "premium"  aka Euro-95 is the standard pump fuel in its home market.

I don't know but I bet the EPA standard emission test goes nowhere near the part of the engines map where it produces 247 bhp.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 09:20:20 am »
VW has a 2.0L turbo that gets somewhere between 200hp and 210hp and it needs premium too!

I don't know the specifics about engines but as usual... technology plus some, what appears to be, good engineering makes all the difference. Also a little movation.

Still not as bad as the first-gen Mini: 106 HP, naturally aspirated... and it needs premium.  ???

Granted, I guess if you can afford a Mini you can afford premium, but how can everyone else build a 106HP engine that runs on regular but BMW can't?

(Actually, IIRC that engine was sourced from Chrysler or somebody...)

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 09:28:45 am »
That is very impressive.  My 2.5L Turbo needs premium and only makes 265HP.

This reminds me of the CTS.  3.0L V6 making 270HP and a 3.6L V6 making 304HP.  Both on regular gas.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 09:55:09 am »
I have a 3.6L flat 4 that pumps out 100 bhp at 2550 RPM redline...circa 1940s tech.

vdk

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 10:45:19 am »
I think what matters here is where the engine was designed and for what market. You have VW in one corner (and other European manufacturers) with the 2.0T which runs on premium (or regular in Euroland), and Hyundai and various domestic manufacturers with high-output turbo and N/A engines running on regular.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 10:52:06 am »
...274HP...........i th'ot it woz a MISPRINT................Now that is a 4BANGER..................... :skid: :banana:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 11:28:36 am »
It is a new engine. Now if they can do that with regular what if they make one for premium? 300 hp out of a 2 liter? 350? Now that would be a crazy fwd family car :)

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 11:42:34 am »
U mean a CAR for a CRAZY FAMILY don't U..............the mazda speed 3 with 30 or more LESS HP is an ARM TWISTER.................i.e lets TAWK STEERING HERE..........so if Hyundai wanna sell 20% of these  Sonatas as TURBOs..they better decide wether they are fer "SCHIZZLES" OR GYM Membership PEC enhancers.. :think: :shuffle:

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 11:49:55 am »

Wait until RR finds this thread  ;)
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 12:37:49 pm »

Still not as bad as the first-gen Mini: 106 HP, naturally aspirated... and it needs premium.  ???

Granted, I guess if you can afford a Mini you can afford premium, but how can everyone else build a 106HP engine that runs on regular but BMW can't?

(Actually, IIRC that engine was sourced from Chrysler or somebody...)

My Lada Niva needs premium ... 80-ish hp out of 1.7L.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2010, 12:50:31 pm »
 ::) CLOSE..but NO Funny Kar Ceegar.............. :D

Offline G35X

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +5/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2010, 06:32:55 pm »
Let’s take the Elantra’s NA 2-litre engine that produces 138HP, as an example.  If this engine is to make 274HP by turbocharging, the boot should be more than 14psi, since engine output varies in a quasi-direct relationship to the amount of fuel burnt in a given time.  In other words, you have to make the engine in question burn 100% more gas, which is only possible by feeding 100% more air (oxygen) by force.  Fine, the turbocharger can do it. However, problem is that by feeding 100% more air means the effective compression ratio becomes about 20 to 1, which is well into the diesel territory.  Higher compression ratio means higher temperature in the combustion chamber, which means the air/fuel mixture may ignite spontaneously. If the flame front (front of the combusting pressure wave) collides against the flame front from the sparkplug ignition that’s called knocking.  Take a look at the following video:

http://www.geocities.jp/bequemereise/knocking.html

To reduce the chance of knocking you can do several things:
1) Use the gas less prone to spontaneous ignition (premium gas).
2) Lower temperature inside the combustion chamber by squirting (injecting) gas directly against the cylinder wall (still hot from previous combustion) so that evaporating gas cools the combustion chamber.
3) Time the fuel injection so that the sparkplug-ignited flame front reaches the cylinder wall before unburnt fuel/air mixture ignites spontaneously. This may require two- or three-staged injections in a combustion cycle.
4) Place the sparkplug in the top centre of the combustion chamber so that the sparkplug-ignited flame front reaches at the cylinder wall in the shortest time possible evenly.  (Flame front travel speed is same for regular or premium gas.)

There may be other tricks to reduce the chance of knocking, but at any rate Hyundai should be commended for squeezing out 274HP from a 2-litre engine.  BTW, fuel economy of turbocharged engine should be looked at with the understanding that turbocharger (as well as supercharger) is a device to burn MORE fuel. The published fuel economy is measured with rather easy gas pedal modulation.  IF you step on it to the metal when starting and passing, certainly gas mileage goes down quite remarkably.  Hyundai must be using all the known (and some unknown, maybe) tricks to reduce fuel consumption such as, when load is low, delaying intake valve closure and mixing oxygen-depleted exhaust gas in the intake air.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2010, 08:53:49 pm »
"3) Time the fuel injection so that the sparkplug-ignited flame front reaches the cylinder wall before unburnt fuel/air mixture ignites spontaneously. This may require two- or three-staged injections in a combustion cycle.

and multiple sparks as well or  establishing the arc across the plug and maintaining it for some time.
According to the workshop manual my 330 BMW did this in 2003.

I wonder if that mixed cycle Otto/Diesel engine that M-B were making ( trying to make work) is going anywhere for applications that need high power from an economical engine.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2010, 10:52:47 pm »
Let’s take the Elantra’s NA 2-litre engine that produces 138HP, as an example.  If this engine is to make 274HP by turbocharging, the boot should be more than 14psi, since engine output varies in a quasi-direct relationship to the amount of fuel burnt in a given time.  In other words, you have to make the engine in question burn 100% more gas, which is only possible by feeding 100% more air (oxygen) by force.  Fine, the turbocharger can do it. However, problem is that by feeding 100% more air means the effective compression ratio becomes about 20 to 1, which is well into the diesel territory.  Higher compression ratio means higher temperature in the combustion chamber, which means the air/fuel mixture may ignite spontaneously. If the flame front (front of the combusting pressure wave) collides against the flame front from the sparkplug ignition that’s called knocking.  Take a look at the following video:

http://www.geocities.jp/bequemereise/knocking.html

To reduce the chance of knocking you can do several things:
1) Use the gas less prone to spontaneous ignition (premium gas).
2) Lower temperature inside the combustion chamber by squirting (injecting) gas directly against the cylinder wall (still hot from previous combustion) so that evaporating gas cools the combustion chamber.
3) Time the fuel injection so that the sparkplug-ignited flame front reaches the cylinder wall before unburnt fuel/air mixture ignites spontaneously. This may require two- or three-staged injections in a combustion cycle.
4) Place the sparkplug in the top centre of the combustion chamber so that the sparkplug-ignited flame front reaches at the cylinder wall in the shortest time possible evenly.  (Flame front travel speed is same for regular or premium gas.)

There may be other tricks to reduce the chance of knocking, but at any rate Hyundai should be commended for squeezing out 274HP from a 2-litre engine.  BTW, fuel economy of turbocharged engine should be looked at with the understanding that turbocharger (as well as supercharger) is a device to burn MORE fuel. The published fuel economy is measured with rather easy gas pedal modulation.  IF you step on it to the metal when starting and passing, certainly gas mileage goes down quite remarkably.  Hyundai must be using all the known (and some unknown, maybe) tricks to reduce fuel consumption such as, when load is low, delaying intake valve closure and mixing oxygen-depleted exhaust gas in the intake air.

Nice post!
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline G35X

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +5/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2010, 12:24:44 am »
Erik, thank you!