Author Topic: toyota styles up -- FT - 86 ( joint effort with subaru ) - will be a scion  (Read 6292 times)

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/10/10/report-ft-86-to-be-badged-as-scion-arrive-with-higher-than-exp/
i wonder which car will be better looking ? haven't seen the suby version , except for some unreveiling spy shots 

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Making it a Scion is a smart move IMO. You don't want a Buick Camry customer get suddenly too excited, ask silly questions, take it for a test drive, get completely off course and in the end buy a Veloster.  ;D 
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
it won't get the fuel economy of the velostar because they (toy&sube) are both using a subaru boxer motor i believe . but it offers a lower center of gravity , and i'm pretty sure its real wheel drive . so i expect it to be a very good handling car , and if i were to pick stickly on looks , toyota wins
placing the car as scion will help scion sales all around for that brand , they need a boost .

toyota , with the celica and supra and mr2 in toyotas past doesn't need to make it a toyota
but scion could use the help , especially with that sporty tc 2nd gen car leading the pack . it reminds me of a chrysler charger that was born premature .
this FT-86 will draw people into the showroom , just to look at it let alone drive it

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
That is a very nice looking automobile. Good on Toyota. I just hope it drives as nice as it looks.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
Point 1 - Like the car from what I've read.

Point 2 - After the 1st gen cars, I don't understand Scion, and neither have the American consumers.

Point 3 - Combine the need to have this as a Toyota, and Scion being a failure (putting flame suit on now)...I don't understand why this would be branded a Scion.  Toyota is apparently trying to change their image to be more performance conscious...yet they make the LF-A and brand it a Lexus, and now this is going to be a Scion.   ??? 

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
That looks VERY nice indeed.  Not sure about marketing it as a Scion, though.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
 ;) too BOXY............. ::) :P
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
I think it makes sense in the Toyota marketing world that a sporty RWD Turbo coupe be made a Scion, but I also thinks it hurts Toyota a bit.  This was the great white elephant Toyota enthusiasts were waiting for.  First the LFA became a Lexus, now this becomes a Scion.  It is like Toyota is just announcing to the world "We have no want for any excitement to make it's way into the Toyota brand'.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
I think it makes sense in the Toyota marketing world that a sporty RWD Turbo coupe be made a Scion, but I also thinks it hurts Toyota a bit.  This was the great white elephant Toyota enthusiasts were waiting for.  First the LFA became a Lexus, now this becomes a Scion.  It is like Toyota is just announcing to the world "We have no want for any excitement to make it's way into the Toyota brand'.

Good points, however the last sentence was something they said a long time ago, and they are sticking to it.

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
i'd be happier it stayed a toyota , to carry along their hertiage of their celica,supra ,mr2 .
but scion needs a shot in the arm and this will do it
gone for a week . don't do anything i wouldn't do

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Why does everyone think Scion is a failure?  Actually Toyota considers them a huge success.... 

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Why does everyone think Scion is a failure?  Actually Toyota considers them a huge success.... 

No! Toyota hasn't admitted to Scion being a failure?  Shocking!

While the first gen was a hit, they've been bust after that.  Here's but one article that talks a bit about Scion trying to change their strategy to increase their sales.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100916/CARNEWS/100919918

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile

No! Toyota hasn't admitted to Scion being a failure?  Shocking!

While the first gen was a hit, they've been bust after that.  Here's but one article that talks a bit about Scion trying to change their strategy to increase their sales.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20100916/CARNEWS/100919918

Kinda funny coming from a guy who drives..a....sales...bust.  But I guess that makes you an expert on the topic.... :rofl2:

« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 05:28:33 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
Well I went to the Scion Canada launch and the americans were their, I don't know everyone considered it a huge success.  They aren't going for sales they are a marketing experiment, they don't care how many cars they sell and have said that since the beginning, so they aren't just "saying that".  They don't WANT to or NEED to increase their sales.  But everyone assumes just because they don't have huge sales they aren't successful, I guess Porsche isn't either...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Well I went to the Scion Canada launch and the americans were their, I don't know everyone considered it a huge success.  They aren't going for sales they are a marketing experiment, they don't care how many cars they sell and have said that since the beginning, so they aren't just "saying that".  They don't WANT to or NEED to increase their sales.  But everyone assumes just because they don't have huge sales they aren't successful, I guess Porsche isn't either...

What are they selling...about 50,000 units a year??

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
Yeah something like that.  I forget what they said for Canada, but the goal was more than 1 and that's it.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
Good points, however the last sentence was something they said a long time ago, and they are sticking to it.

Yeah. Exciting cars get in the way of building good, safe, reliable automobiles...

Oh, wait.  >:D

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

This is ridiculous.

Oh crap I forgot...if it's Toyota or Hyundai, then it's a "marketing experiment".  If it's a GM product, THEN it's a failure and they're incompetent.

You can't be serious Wing.  If you want to compare Porsche volume to Scion volume, then the margins better be the same too.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

This is ridiculous.

Oh crap I forgot...if it's Toyota or Hyundai, then it's a "marketing experiment".  If it's a GM product, THEN it's a failure and they're incompetent.

You can't be serious Wing.  If you want to compare Porsche volume to Scion volume, then the margins better be the same too.

Only if it ends in bankruptcy and government ownership.  Get your facts right.... :rofl2:

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight

This is ridiculous.

Only if it ends in bankruptcy and government ownership.  Get your facts right.... :rofl2:

LOL What an incredibly original comment. Never saw that one coming!