Author Topic: Test Drive: 2011 Infiniti M37x  (Read 4997 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2011 Infiniti M37x
« on: October 07, 2010, 04:03:21 am »

New, more powerful engines with better fuel economy mark the Infiniti M series for 2011, reports Bob McHugh. It's also "a launch pad for an interesting collection of new technologies," including one that keeps you from drifting out of your lane.

Read More...

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2011 Infiniti M37x
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 06:38:43 am »
I went for a couple of rides in the G37 (328 HP 4wd) model last weekend and it is certainly a tremendous automobile.  Beautifully designed and finished inside and out.

The ride was firm but not overly so on Toronto's poor streets.  Felt like a VERY competent road machine.

Beautiful on the highway but too new to punch.

As much as I liked the car I don't see it or any of its classmates as urban transportation because of the lack of visibility and room inside.  Econoboxes shine in that department and are the better tools for urban life even putting fuel efficiency aside.

However, the G37 new owner is thrilled and I don't blame him but for me, the thrill would wear off after a few hours of driving in the city.

Cheers,
John Meyer

pro/zack

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 09:10:40 am »
Although this Infiniti seems like a beautiful and powerful car I can't help but feel it is somewhat of a disappearing breed. I think it is pointless to keep flogging these large expensive cars when we should be concentrating on good solid A-B transportation. I think a car of this caliber is made for a small part of the population and is not only unaffordable but impractical too. Don't get me wrong, I have been a gearhead all my life, I have owned Corvette's and fast bikes and I lived the Muscle car era but as I read everything I can about cars I get a nagging feeling that these type of overpriced luxo-cruisers seem past their time. Even as old as I am a hot-hatch is really cool. Small, affordable, practical and fun to drive. This thing seems like a technological wonder but it doesn't look all that much fun to drive. 

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 09:19:37 am »
Past their prime?  I think NOW is when they will be big big sellers.  Why?  Baby boomers with MONEY are retiring and want nice, luxury sedans to shuttle them to the golf course!

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 09:25:14 am »
Styling is subjective and all that but I think this is one of the best looking sedans on the road at any price.

Although this Infiniti seems like a beautiful and powerful car I can't help but feel it is somewhat of a disappearing breed. I think it is pointless to keep flogging these large expensive cars when we should be concentrating on good solid A-B transportation. I think a car of this caliber is made for a small part of the population and is not only unaffordable but impractical too. Don't get me wrong, I have been a gearhead all my life, I have owned Corvette's and fast bikes and I lived the Muscle car era but as I read everything I can about cars I get a nagging feeling that these type of overpriced luxo-cruisers seem past their time. Even as old as I am a hot-hatch is really cool. Small, affordable, practical and fun to drive. This thing seems like a technological wonder but it doesn't look all that much fun to drive. 

1) These cars will, as a class, become "pointless" when there aren't sufficient buyers to make it worthwhile for manufacturers to produce the product.  The market decides - you don't.

2) Last time I glanced around the automotive landscape, there was no shortage of "good solid A-B transportation".  Some people want more and are both willing and able to pay for it.  If you don't want anything more than a solid transporation appliance, that's perfectly fine.  But why should others be denied the opportunity to make a different choice?  It's not like Nissan won't sell you a Versa, Sentra, Altima or Rogue if you ask nicely.

3)  These cars aren't unaffordable to those who can afford them (duh) - and affordability for all hasn't had any application to the automobile industry since the Model T.

4) I can't see where this M37 would be any less practical than my Altima - a vehicle which has proven to be very practical indeed in its intended role as a family car.

Jaeger

Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 10:14:37 am »
Past their prime?  I think NOW is when they will be big big sellers.  Why?  Baby boomers with MONEY are retiring and want nice, luxury sedans to shuttle them to the golf course!

LOL, yup.  Also, as long as there are rich people (and there always will be until we do away with money) there will be a market for these cars.  The big luxo barges have lived on through recessions, fuel crisis, SUV crazes, etc.  They just might be powered differently in the future.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 10:30:08 am »
Love it!  IMO, it certainly has one of the nicest interiors today. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 07:30:12 pm »
pro/zack , great name , you kinda stepped into that one
ditto jaeger

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 07:53:10 pm »
I like mine just fine, even when I'm stuck in traffic. ;D
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 09:36:22 am »
ESPECIALLY when you are stuck in traffic does it make sense to have a large, luxurious car. Nothing more depressing than doing the stop and go in some tinny, hard riding, uncomfortable econobox. Should be laws against things like that! :)

And more on topic, although the G sedan did not do much for me (tho I loved the G coupe), I really liked the M. Such a nice car in every way.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons