Author Topic: Autoextemist Blasts BMW's Future Product Plans  (Read 5486 times)

Offline 99 Silver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +17/-8
  • Dog lover
    • View Profile
Autoextemist Blasts BMW's Future Product Plans
« on: October 07, 2010, 12:24:24 am »
Autoextemist strongly disagrees with BMW's expansion into low priced FWD cars:

http://www.autoextremist.com/
Jerry
Kitchener
13 Boxster
17 Lexus RX350
In the past: 12 Acura TL, 04 MazdaSpeed Miata, 07 Infiniti M35, 05 Infiniti G35x, 03 Infiniti G35, 99 Acura 3.2TL, 99 Miata, 95 Chrysler Sebring, 93 Ford Probe GT, 93 Chrysler Concorde, 89 Taurus SHO, 86 Taurus, 79 Mazda RX7

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
Re: Autoextemist Blasts BMW's Future Product Plans
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 12:29:48 am »
Sell more cars, make more money, this how most business run. Don't have to buy them if do not like the cars, plenty alternatives. BMWs are already as common as Civics and Corollas, have FWD cars won't change much.

Offline erich

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-125
    • View Profile
  • Cars: current: 2023 Genesis G70 2.0t,2019 Infiniti QX50, previous:2017 Subaru Legacy, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2012 Genesis Coupe 2.0T, 2010 Subaru Forrester, 2004 Honda Civic, 2000 SAAB 9-3, 2000 Dodge Caravan, 2000 VW Golf, 1996 Suzuki Baleno, 1990 Subary Justy 1.0GL
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 02:28:07 pm »
I think BMW (or any other car maker) can safely ignore PDL and laugh all the way to the bank - just look at Porsche
Small cars are big in Euroland and most people are not auto-extremists, rather auto-moderates who care more about a Roundel on the hood than about RWD underneath.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 03:27:00 pm »
I think BMW (or any other car maker) can safely ignore PDL and laugh all the way to the bank - just look at Porsche
Small cars are big in Euroland and most people are not auto-extremists, rather auto-moderates who care more about a Roundel on the hood than about RWD underneath.

+1

I agree with some of what the Auto Extremist is saying, but it's more than a little sad that someone could be so impassioned about something as insignificant as a car company's strategy.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 03:35:26 pm »
Holy crap does that guy like to go off on a rant  :D 

I mean, big deal if BMW wants to go FWD.  I don't like it or agree with it, but so what?  I have a feeling the author has a Beemer or two in his driveway to illicit such an emotioal response.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 03:50:51 pm »
I would bet that our friend Mitlov would read the responses in this thread and say - "See...that's why I left".

I mean, big deal if BMW wants to go FWD.  I don't like it or agree with it, but so what?.
What's the big deal?  So what?  Did you read the reasons he gave?

.....it's more than a little sad that someone could be so impassioned about something as insignificant as a car company's strategy.

It's what he does Erich...provide opinions about the automotive world.  I absolutely applaud him for not joining the masses of people that say "so what" that are very well represented here.

Sell more cars, make more money, this how most business run into the ground.....

I've added a bit that Peter would likely agree with.  Merely another example of the short-term thinking demanded by investors (us) that doesn't drive "real" value.

"A brand image takes years upon years and billions of dollars to establish. Get it right – as BMW once did – and it will pay off handsomely in a bulletproof reputation, legions of satisfied customers and big profits."

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 03:58:44 pm »
BMW already develops FWD cars... they're called Minis!

I personally don't see how selling FWD cars under the BMW would really be that damaging to their brand... afterall, most BMW drivers don't even know their cars are RWD! Wasn't there a statistic that came out saying that 80% of 1-Series owners had no clue their car was RWD?

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 04:05:59 pm »
I agree with initial_d. BMWs are so common these days no one even notices them anymore. A small FWD BMW will probably sell like hotcakes for a while, but once the status of the roundel on the hood wears off, it'll just be another car. At least Mercedes had the smarts - pun intended ;D - not to put the 3-pointed star on their little runabout.

edit - Spelling mistake.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 04:13:48 pm by Schmengie »
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 04:24:19 pm »
I agree with initial_d. BMWs are so common these days no one even notices them anymore. A small FWD BMW will probably sell like hotcakes for a while, but once the staus of the roundel on the hood wears off, it'll just be another car. At least Mercedes had the smarts - pun intended ;D - not to put the 3-pointed star on their little runabout.

There's also the A- and B-class, badged as Mercedes', and they have been sales successes (at least in Europe) for MB

It's what he does Erich...provide opinions about the automotive world.  I absolutely applaud him for not joining the masses of people that say "so what" that are very well represented here.

Yeah, I get that his schtick is to rant about cars and, yes, all the power to him for vocalizing his disapproval of BMW's product strategy. It's one thing, however, to voice disapproval, as he does, but it's another thing to devote 10 paragraphs of impassioned rhetoric on the subject. So much energy and emotion for such a trivial topic!

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 06:37:04 pm »
I agree with initial_d. BMWs are so common these days no one even notices them anymore. A small FWD BMW will probably sell like hotcakes for a while, but once the status of the roundel on the hood wears off, it'll just be another car......

You're agreeing with me.  Once the status of the roundel on the hood wears off, they can say goodbye to the high margins they've been getting.  If this all about business decisions, then how is that a good business decision?

And if it's all about business decisions, someone should have told Enzo Ferrari that being passionate about racing wasn't a good business decision...until he was able to build a legacy that's worth a few shillings now.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 08:17:34 pm »
I would bet that our friend Mitlov would read the responses in this thread and say - "See...that's why I left".

I mean, big deal if BMW wants to go FWD.  I don't like it or agree with it, but so what?.
What's the big deal?  So what?  Did you read the reasons he gave?

.....it's more than a little sad that someone could be so impassioned about something as insignificant as a car company's strategy.

Sell more cars, make more money, this how most business run into the ground.....

I've added a bit that Peter would likely agree with.  Merely another example of the short-term thinking demanded by investors (us) that doesn't drive "real" value.

"A brand image takes years upon years and billions of dollars to establish. Get it right – as BMW once did – and it will pay off handsomely in a bulletproof reputation, legions of satisfied customers and big profits."

Yes, I read his reasons and do not agree with them.  I am not going to turn this into another thread of disagreeing posts.  I'll just stay inclined to say that we disagree on the topic.

I just think building a few cars based off an award winning FWD platform you already make isn't a big deal.  If the head line was '3 Seires to be FWD in 2013' or '5 Series now AWD ES350 competitor' that would be a whole different monkey.

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 09:37:17 pm »
......could this be it?  :o

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 09:38:24 pm »
Oh god, the BMW Juke

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 09:39:12 pm »
I'm with Topgun on this one......

Bad call. They might sell more cars in the short term but I say this hurts them in the long haul.

I dunno.  Just because they made some FWD bargain car, doesn't mean their bread and butter car (3 Series) will turn into a POS.....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 10:10:46 pm »
It is a bigger issue than just deciding on which wheels should be driven. By making predominantly RWD cars BMW made a commitment to only produce cars that appeal to enthusiasts, have superior handling and are always fun to drive. It has become their signature and put them in the unique market position. I imagine many in the company took pride in making the cars around the driver, not around marketing and CO2 regs. They resisted the temptation for decades just like Subaru people did with the full time AWD. IMO if BMW decides to now make a Yaris it will start to be seen as just another marque to consider when shopping for an ass mover. It will make short time profit but lose their face doing so. Just my 2 cents.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010, 10:14:07 pm »
It is a bigger issue than just deciding on which wheels should be driven. By making predominantly RWD cars BMW made a commitment to only produce cars that appeal to enthusiasts, have superior handling and are always fun to drive. It has become their signature and put them in the unique market position. I imagine many in the company took pride in making the cars around the driver, not around marketing and CO2 regs. They resisted the temptation for decades just like Subaru people did with the full time AWD. IMO if BMW decides to now make a Yaris it will start to be seen as just another marque to consider when shopping for an ass mover. It will make short time profit but lose their face doing so. Just my 2 cents.

Pretty hard to argue with that, agreed. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 10:18:21 pm »

Yea, but most of the 1 Series drivers already think they're driving a FWD car anyways.  Remember this news story??

"BMW says a recent study shows that 80% of BMW 1 Series drivers think they have a FWD system on their car. This means that only 20% of them really now what they spent their money on and how much fun this car can be. "

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 10:23:26 pm »
Brilliant column. So nice to read something from someone who is passionate about cars. Who actually cares and does not see them as just another appliance. Well done!
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 10:24:58 pm »
Nice posts, TG and Dan!

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 10:25:21 pm »

Yea, but most of the 1 Series drivers already think they're driving a FWD car anyways.  Remember this news story??

"BMW says a recent study shows that 80% of BMW 1 Series drivers think they have a FWD system on their car. This means that only 20% of them really now what they spent their money on and how much fun this car can be. "

I blame the electronic nannies. If there were no traction control those 80% would soon learn what a doughnut really is and how not to make it. Also one way or another their buying decision was influenced by the remaining 20% who actually new why the bought it.