Poll

Which city has the most downtown redlight runners?

Toronto
5 (33.3%)
Montreal
1 (6.7%)
Vancouver
2 (13.3%)
Ottawa
3 (20%)
Calgary
1 (6.7%)
My home town (specify)
3 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: October 20, 2010, 07:10:30 pm

Author Topic: Red is the New Yellow  (Read 3358 times)

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
Red is the New Yellow
« on: October 06, 2010, 07:10:30 pm »
I'm in Vancouver this week and am amazed at how many people run the red light.  Actually, no.  They don't *run* the light, they coast through the intersections downtown even after the light has been full red for a second or more, completely oblivious to the colour of the light.  It's so bad that almost to a person, pedestrians wait a couple of seconds at every light before they step into the intersection even if they're not specifically looking both ways, probably they are so used to people running the light.

So, what city in Canada has the best (worst) rep for running lights in downtown intersections?  To make this quasi scientific, please vote only if you have personally experienced downtown traffic in all the cities listed.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 07:12:39 pm by Angry Chicken »

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
Re: Red is the New Yellow
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 07:13:42 pm »
Without a doubt, Ottawa.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 07:15:18 pm »
I'm in Vancouver this week and am amazed at how many people run the red light.  Actually, no.  They don't *run* the light, they coast through the intersections downtown even after the light has been full red for a second or more, completely oblivious to the colour of the light.  It's so bad that almost to a person, pedestrians wait a couple of seconds at every light before they step into the intersection even if they're not specifically looking both ways, probably they are so used to people running the light.

So, what city in Canada has the best (worst) rep for running lights in downtown intersections?  To make this quasi scientific, please vote only if you have personally experienced downtown traffic in all the cities listed.

That also seemed to be the case in TO when I was there....much much more red light running that here.  The cyclist were also very bad for that too.  Stop...coast is clear...run the red.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 07:21:08 pm »
Everyone will vote for their hometown, I suppose, so Winnipeg it is!

We're still debating whether the red light cameras are of any benefit!

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/speed-cameras-safety-value-doesnt-add-up-103696954.html
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 09:46:26 pm »
The cyclist were also very bad for that too.  Stop...coast is clear...run the red.

Stop first?  Who does that. Amateurs  :rofl2:

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 10:04:42 pm »
Saw a guy blatantly blow one this morning in Stittsville, probably 2 seconds after the light changed!

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 11:39:50 pm »
Saw a guy blatantly blow one this morning in Stittsville, probably 2 seconds after the light changed!
Holy Crap!  And if he hit someone or something they'd call it an "accident"!   :banghead:

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 07:19:27 am »
Holy Crap!  And if he hit someone or something they'd call it an "accident"!   :banghead:

No doubt a speed related accident.   ;D

I actually don't think it's that bad here in Kingston.  Mostly it looks like mistakes rather than blatantly driving thru red lights.  That said, some guy did rearrange my passenger fender a few years ago by running a red light.
Mr Pickypants

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 07:14:22 pm »

Are you going to make the poll results viewable by all?  If not, I'll just have to vote regardless of how many of the cities I've seen (3 of 'em, to be precise).
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 08:39:31 pm »
Toronto, Vancouver and Edmonton are bad from my travels.  People just blow through red light camera or no red light camera

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 08:53:01 pm »
Saskatoon. Slow down for a yellow, and cars behind you will actually honk. Yellow means step on it.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 02:49:20 pm »
Same thing happened earlier this week, only it was a transport.  Good thing I paused before entering the intersection.  I laid on the horn to wake the f*cker up.  If I didn't have to be elsewhere I would have tailed it to get the plate number.

Offline 99 Silver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +17/-8
  • Dog lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 10:39:16 pm »
Kitchener.

It seems like a sport here.  Often multiple cars running yellow and well into red.
Jerry
Kitchener
13 Boxster
17 Lexus RX350
In the past: 12 Acura TL, 04 MazdaSpeed Miata, 07 Infiniti M35, 05 Infiniti G35x, 03 Infiniti G35, 99 Acura 3.2TL, 99 Miata, 95 Chrysler Sebring, 93 Ford Probe GT, 93 Chrysler Concorde, 89 Taurus SHO, 86 Taurus, 79 Mazda RX7

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 10:56:38 pm »
Calgary has a ton of red light / speed on green cameras. Cars slam on their brakes at the first hint of yellow, the opposite problem of yellow runners.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 09:57:00 pm »
Poll's closed.  Actually it just died to tell the truth.  Toronto narrowly "wins".  Woo  :winner: hoo!

vdk

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 11:18:22 pm »
Wow Montreal ties for last? Lies lies lies... :rofl2:

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2010, 09:23:35 am »
Poll's closed.  Actually it just died to tell the truth.  Toronto narrowly "wins".  Woo  :winner: hoo!

Finally!  Toronto Wins Something!  Let's plan the parade route  :pimp:

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2010, 09:57:24 am »
What about stop sign runners?  That is an epidemic!

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2010, 12:01:21 pm »

We're #1, we're #1, woo hoo.   ;D

Don't forget to look both ways before crossing the street and keep looking as you walk across. 

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2010, 12:10:04 pm »
What about stop sign runners?  That is an epidemic!

Too many people around here who think stop signs are merely suggestions!
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson