Author Topic: VW Passat Bluemotion sets Guinness World Record!  (Read 1165 times)

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
VW Passat Bluemotion sets Guinness World Record!
« on: October 06, 2010, 11:07:13 am »
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/the-volkswagen-passat-more-interesting-than-you-think/
Favstocks reports that the Volkswagen Passat Bluemotion has set the Guinness World Record for the longest distance travelled by a standard production passenger car on a single tank of fuel. The stunt started in Maidstone, Kent, UK. They attempted to drive to the South of France and back again. Unfortunately, on the way back to the UK, the Passat ran dry near Calais, France. In total, the Passat travelled 1,526.63 miles (or 2,456 kilometers, for all you imperial measurement haters) on 77.25 liters of regular diesel. Or 20.4 US gallons. That equates to 74.8 miles per US Gallon or 89.83mpImpG.

That equals 3.14L/100km! Impressive for such a big car!!

I wonder if we'll get whatever engine powers this Passat here? It's probably not very powerful to offer great fuel econonmy like that, but I'd make that compromise to divide my fuel costs at lease in half!!

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: VW Passat Bluemotion sets Guinness World Record!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 11:58:56 am »
Even though they averaged only 45mph (72kph) it is still very impressive.

I also wondered which engine that is. I'm sure its powerful enough for our roads here and would make for a great long distance cruiser.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 12:08:33 pm »
Even though they averaged only 45mph (72kph) it is still very impressive.

I also wondered which engine that is. I'm sure its powerful enough for our roads here and would make for a great long distance cruiser.

One of the article's comments says:
UK versions, according to http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/#/new/passat-saloon/which-model/engines/acceleration, this particular model is rated at 105HP, 185 ft-lbs, and 0-62MPH in 12.4 seconds.

Still trying to find more details on the engine...

EDIT: Found it. It's a 1.6L TDI. Power 105@4400 ps/rpm, Torque 184@1500-2500 lb/ft. Fuel econonmy rated at 51.4mpg city, 74.3mpg highway. Wouldn't that be an excellent engine for something like a Golf? They could call it the Golf EFE (Extreme Fuel Economy)!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 12:13:18 pm by Shnak »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 12:24:34 pm »
I'd love that engine in the Golf Wagen, sign me up!  It sounds about the same power I had in my Skoda rental when I was in Norway and I had no problem with it.

Of course we both know it will never happen here. :(

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 03:14:25 pm »
I think that engine is sold in EUland in Golfs... it may even be the "standard" diesel available.

As it has the same power as a pre 2007 Golf/Jetta and some years  in the Passat sold in Canada pre 2007 why would it not be suitable for NA in 2011 ?

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 07:44:50 am »
I think that engine is sold in EUland in Golfs... it may even be the "standard" diesel available.

As it has the same power as a pre 2007 Golf/Jetta and some years  in the Passat sold in Canada pre 2007 why would it not be suitable for NA in 2011 ?

Because most North Americans validate themselves by how fast their cars go, that's why.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 08:53:19 am »

Because most North Americans validate themselves by how fast their cars go, that's why.
Many,many,many people are still driving around NA behind that engine in a pre 2007 Jetta TDI  so what has changed in the NA mindset since 2006?      ANY diesel powered German car is and always will be a minority taste in cars.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 09:01:42 am »

Many,many,many people are still driving around NA behind that engine in a pre 2007 Jetta TDI  so what has changed in the NA mindset since 2006?      ANY diesel powered German car is and always will be a minority taste in cars.

This is a 1.6L TDI... pre-2007 TDI's were 1.9L, I know, I had two of them.

rodMcBan

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 01:54:08 am »
The BlueMotion models from VW are the fuel mizzers of the brand.

Differences from other, "normal" Passats, Golfs , etc. are a longer 5th gear, slightly better aerodynamics (IIRC the car sits a bit lower than the regular model) and low resistance tires.

The same 1.6 CR  TDI also comes in a Golf Blue motion which uses even less fuel than the Passat. I wonder why they did not choose tha Golf for the test, the results would have been even mores spectacular.