Author Topic: Steering You Right: The speeding doctor  (Read 5559 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Steering You Right: The speeding doctor
« on: October 04, 2010, 04:04:30 am »
An ill newborn and a doctor racing to the hospital to save it: a noble gesture, but one that simply isn't safe, says Jordan Charness. Even in such a case, only trained emergency personnel can exceed speed limits on public roads.
Read More...

Offline overtakeyouintheleftlane

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2003 Pontiac Grand AM (sent for scrap), 2006 Subaru Impreza Wagon (sold) and a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, 2017 Hyundai Accent GL sedan
Re: Steering You Right: The speeding doctor
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 07:14:18 am »
Sounds similar to the speeding Dr. in Toronto who was speeding down a residential road a few months ago.

They don't and shouldn't have special treatment. He could've killed a kid or some other innocent person and put 2 more people in the hospital.

Good for the police for stopping him.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 08:00:42 am »
What about if you have a passenger between life and death in your car? By going faster, you might just get there in time to save his/her life. I know I wouldn't hesitate to stomp on it if I thought the time gained could be the difference between saving someone's life. Within reason, of course. I wouldn't burn red lights or run stop signs, but I would certainly open up on open road.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 08:31:44 am »
What about if you have a passenger between life and death in your car? By going faster, you might just get there in time to save his/her life. I know I wouldn't hesitate to stomp on it if I thought the time gained could be the difference between saving someone's life. Within reason, of course. I wouldn't burn red lights or run stop signs, but I would certainly open up on open road.

You shouldn't be able to though. All cars should have speed limiters in them to prevent you from opening it up.  Someone told me that once. We need as many limits on us as possible. After all if it saves just one life its worth it.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 08:42:34 am »

You shouldn't be able to though. All cars should have speed limiters in them to prevent you from opening it up.  Someone told me that once. We need as many limits on us as possible. After all if it saves just one life its worth it.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.   No life is worth more than twice its salary in life assurance.
Same argument ( to me anyway) as: Any country that sends its armed forces abroad to shoot people has no business getting all squeamish over the death penalty.

As for speed limiters in cars... whatever turns you on for yourself but I don't want one.  But then I don't want doctors speeding around with mostly dead patients in their cars either.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 08:43:20 am »

Good point! And you have a long memory, my friend.  ;)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 10:26:01 am »

:fiver:  :rofl2:

Offline pickles

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 11:20:32 am »
Same applies to taxi drivers.  Seems in my area if you have a taxi light on the roof of your car it gives you the privledge to speed, do rolling stops and and at red lights proceed with caution and go on through the light.

Reasons like this you seldom see pizza's delivered under 30 minutes or it"s free advertisements.

fingersled

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 01:47:58 pm »
As if Im going to slow down and/or pull over because some cop is on a revenue generation patrol.  He/she/they can arrest me at the hospitals  Emergency enterance. If my friend or relative needs hospital attention ASAP I'm gonna go as fast as I safely (relatively speaking) can.--Remember!  My life is in jeaopardy as well. 

Can you imagine if Petter Solberg were arrested for taking his wife to a hospital ASAP due to a life threatening situation ?----The cop says--"Im sorry sir, but you're not a trained ambulance driver.  You dont know how to drive fast like we do."

Canada is a gigantic country and not everyone lives in Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver. 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 02:19:13 pm by fingersled »

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 09:38:04 pm »
I hope my doctor has balls and brains enough to drive quickly and safely if he needs to come and save me.

"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 06:47:06 am »
shnack . ditto
what coulda mighta happen didn't !

everytime you speed , do you get in an accident ? EVERYTIME ?

but the baby sure could have died

you saftety hung up people terrified to take risk , much better to let your dying passanger die
because your too hung up on your safety issues , as shnak put forward
WHAT KIND OF PEOPLE ARE YOU , you make me sick
i am not going to look at these pthetic posts again , grap some dam balls , take a risk
it could be your life on the line in the passenger seat dying , with driver saying , no i'm sorry i'm afraid your not going to make it , can't go over 30 mph

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 01:36:38 pm »
read this please jordon w charnes

its about a death

Three yards of black fabric enshroud my computer terminal. I am mourning the passing of an old friend by the name of Common Sense.

His obituary reads as follows:

Common Sense, aka C.S., lived a long life, but died from heart failure at the brink of the millennium. No one really knows how old he was, his birth records were long ago entangled in miles and miles of bureaucratic red tape.
Known affectionately to close friends as Horse Sense and Sound Thinking, he selflessly devoted himself to a life of service in homes, schools, hospitals and offices, helping folks get jobs done without a lot of fanfare, whooping and hollering. Rules and regulations and petty, frivolous lawsuits held no power over C.S.

A most reliable sage, he was credited with cultivating the ability to know when to come in out of the rain, the discovery that the early bird gets the worm and how to take the bitter with the sweet. C.S. also developed sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn), reliable parenting strategies (the adult is in charge, not the kid) and prudent dietary plans (offset eggs and bacon with a little fiber and orange juice).

A veteran of the Industrial Revolution, the Great Depression, the Technological Revolution and the Smoking Crusades, C.S. survived sundry cultural and educational trends including disco, the men's movement, body piercing, whole language and new math.

C.S.'s health began declining in the late 1960s when he became infected with the If-It-Feels-Good, Do-It virus. In the following decades his waning strength proved no match for the ravages of overbearing federal and state rules and regulations and an oppressive tax code. C.S. was sapped of strength and the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband, criminals received better treatment than victims and judges stuck their noses in everything from Boy Scouts to professional baseball and golf. His deterioration accelerated as schools implemented zero-tolerance policies. Reports of 6-year-old boys charged with sexual harassment for kissing classmates, a teen suspended for taking a swig of Scope mouthwash after lunch, girls suspended for possessing Midol and an honor student expelled for having a table knife in her school lunch were more than his heart could endure.

As the end neared, doctors say C.S. drifted in and out of logic but was kept informed of developments regarding regulations on low-flow toilets and mandatory air bags. Finally, upon hearing about a government plan to ban inhalers from 14 million asthmatics due to a trace of a pollutant that may be harmful to the environment, C.S. breathed his last. Services will be at Whispering Pines Cemetery. C.S. was preceded in death by his wife, Discretion; one daughter, Responsibility; and one son, Reason. He is survived by two step-brothers, Half-Wit and Dim-Wit.

Memorial Contributions may be sent to the Institute for Rational Thought.

Farewell, Common Sense. May you rest in peace.