Author Topic: TEST: Lexus HS250h for about a week.....  (Read 3118 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
TEST: Lexus HS250h for about a week.....
« on: October 01, 2010, 05:36:31 pm »
...as a loaner.  As luck would have it, my IS350 was one of the few that are being recalled for the possibility of cracking in the valve spring.  When I say "few" I mean one of only 4000 cars between IS 350, GS 350, GS 450h, GS 460, LS 460, LS 460 L and LS 600h. Lexus did give me a $250 gift certificate for service, maintenance, detailing or something out of their Lexus Collection or F-Sport catalogs.  I may use it for F-Sport sway bars. :)  Nice bonus since Lexus is offering 10% off the F Sport items!  They also gave me a voucher for $1500 off our next Lexus purchase...IQ has laid claim to the voucher for a CT200h. :)

Anyways...so far I'm a bit perplexed where the HS really fits as a Lexus.  It definitely feels the cheapest of any Lexus, though the interior itself isn't low quality.  The drivers seat is very, very comfortable and fits me perfectly.  Wind noise/road noise is fairly quiet, but not nearly as quiet as my IS350 or our older IS300.  Overall it rides nicely....but not sporty in the least.  But that was never the mission of the HS I suppose.

The powertrain is neat.  I'm able to go 40+ km/h on electric alone.  I only slightly detect the engine coming on above that speed.  Power is adequate at best and feels pokey...0-60 in 8.5 seconds...which is the same as the Buick Regal CXL. :) 

But winning drag races is not the cars mission, so I guess for a commuter car it gets the job done.  And for that purpose, I guess this is where the strength of this car lies.  I could imagine a morning commute, especially in heavy traffic is where this car would shine.  The interior is very comfy and quite roomy.  It's quiet, well appointed and sips the gas (my mileage after a full day of running around is 5.3L/100ms.  Not as good as a Prius...but pretty damn thrifty for the luxury you're getting.  I see some of the nerds over at ClubLexus are getting in the 3sL/100km using hypermilling techniques.  I have no intention of trying to match those numbers...since it would seem to be rather dull.  Low/mid 5s to low mid 6s seem to be the norm, depending on driving habits and traffic.

It looks better in person than in photos, but it's still a bit hard on the eyes.  My car is white...I think it would be better in a darker color. The 2 tone leather seats however look great.

There's also a pure EV mode you can run the car in..though I have no tried it yet...

I'll keep updating this thread if anything new pops up...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 05:39:08 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: So I have a Lexus HS250h for about a week.....
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 05:39:06 pm »
 :thumbup:

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: TEST: Lexus HS250h for about a week.....
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 10:24:54 pm »
I'll be checking back in to read your report Rocket, should be interesting. Sounds like Lexus is treating you right also. Some days I really wish there was a IS wagon available. Make it AWD and around 250hp/tq and get 7L/100 real world freeway driving.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 10:29:58 pm »
I'll be checking back in to read your report Rocket, should be interesting. Sounds like Lexus is treating you right also. Some days I really wish there was a IS wagon available. Make it AWD and around 250hp/tq and get 7L/100 real world freeway driving.

Your wishes may be answered.  There's supposed to be a wagon for the next gen IS (2011-2012).  I suppose with the small engine it could reach your fuel mileage.

Who knows if it will make it to North America

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 06:29:17 am »
UPDATE:  Lexus script in door sills lights up in a cool blue LED.  Nice touch....wish my IS had them.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 08:32:41 am »
Does not the Ford Sync have the same thing... some facilities are not available in Canada?
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 08:33:28 am »
Glad to see Lexus is continuing to stress customer satisfaction. Cadillac could sure use some lessons from them when it comes to this aspect of customer service! When my SRX was in overnight waiting for parts I got a base Chevy Equinox from Enterprise that smelled like a mix of cigar smoke and pine air freshener, no coupons and the car wasn't even washed when I got it back two days later. ::)
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 09:11:42 am »
UPDATE:  Lexus script in door sills lights up in a cool blue LED.  Nice touch....wish my IS had them.

Blue LEDs are readily available, you could mod your doors.   How are you at soldering?  :)

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1206
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 10:27:04 am »
For me the HS looks too much like and upscale Corolla. In the Lexus range, only the IS and the GS appeal to me.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 09:07:46 pm »
UPDATE: I had a chance to try the full EV Mode today.  I think Lexus missed the mark.  It work well...but it kicks off at a few kms less than 40km/h.  Which makes it mostly useless for any real world application.  If it worked to 50km/h, then we'd have something usefullthat could be used in the city.  As it is?  No really.  I did use it downtown in traffic and it works...but as soon as you go too fast, it gets disabled and you're back into hybrid mode.

Careener,

Since this is a loaner, it's the base model, so I am unaware of what features would be lacking if I had the full load model.

Dr. Spock,

It's more than just adding lights.  The Lexus script itself is a lense and it's lighted in it.  Here's a pic:

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 09:48:03 pm »
Cool...thanks for taking the time to post.

There's a white out there that's almost a baby blue...a very unique colour.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 10:31:18 pm »
Fits you perfectly, huh? Another Lexus I won't be fitting in then. :-)

Not sure why, but that was the only Lexus I did not try on when I was car shopping.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 03:12:35 am »
Fits you perfectly, huh? Another Lexus I won't be fitting in then. :-)

Not sure why, but that was the only Lexus I did not try on when I was car shopping.

Actually...much more room (it seems) up front and back than my IS350.

And you're not missing much for not having driven it.  Ok for a commuter car or family car, but beyond that? It's not a car for you or I....

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 07:56:10 am »
EV mode is a bit of a joke, because you can just drive on the battery if you do no floor it

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 09:49:01 pm »
UPDATE:  So it's been almost 500kms with the HS250.  It goes back tomorrow...my IS350 is done.  Yesterday I had a chance to try the "pulse and glide method" of hybrid driving.  Basically, you get up to your speed, let off the gas, then immediately get back on it except in electric mode only.  With a bit of practice, I was able to do it rather easily and able to keep a steady 60-65km/h.  Fuel mileage during this dropped into the 4s.  So outstanding fuel economy is possible in the HS if you want to play the game...

Overall the HS is a good commuter car.  If you're looking for excitement, look elsewhere.  But that was never the mission of this car.  If you are looking for excellent fuel economy (I averaged 5.8L/100km over 500kms) in a roomy, quality sedan that eats up the miles easily and without fuss, this could be your car.  It's not for me....but I see the utility of this car, especially for those who would have to slog through bumper to bumper traffic on a daily basis, or for those who just want a frugal luxury sedan with all the trimmings.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 09:52:50 pm »
You have to learn how to drive these hybrids I finally understand it.

You can drive them to about 65km/h on EV mode, accelerate up to 40km/h then like you said engine kicks in, then when you get to 60 lift off the throttle abruptly and it will go into EV mode, I drove almost all the way home like this today it was pretty impressive.

EDIT: hahaha just read your last post now, looks like you figured it out.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 09:55:16 pm by wing »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 09:58:06 pm »
You have to learn how to drive these hybrids I finally understand it.

You can drive them to about 65km/h on EV mode, accelerate up to 40km/h then like you said engine kicks in, then when you get to 60 lift off the throttle abruptly and it will go into EV mode, I drove almost all the way home like this today it was pretty impressive.

Yes Wing..there is a bit of a technique, eh?  The idea though is to try to not bleed off speed (and slow traffic behind you).  When done properly, as you stated, you can driver several KMs on EV power alone.  This done several times a week can save plenty of fuel.  As I said, there are some nerds getting 800-1000 MILES per tank at ClubLexus using this technique.  I have no reason to dounbt the Camry could also do it. OH...and inflate the tires a bit more.  The HS250s tires only called to be inflated to 32 psi....which isn't helping for MPG.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2010, 10:10:29 pm »
Nice update. Obviously this car isn't for me but I'm sure there are lots that would enjoy it. Do you think its worth the money they ask for it?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 06:49:07 am »
 Basically, you get up to your speed, let off the gas, then immediately get back on it except in electric mode only.  With a bit of practice, I was able to do it rather easily and able to keep a steady 60-65km/h.  Fuel mileage during this dropped into the 4s.  So outstanding fuel economy is possible in the HS if you want to play the game...

On level ground it is easy to do a couple of kms this way

In Kingston driving down Gardiners RD it easy to do from Princess to Bath if you catch all the green lights