Author Topic: Test Drive: 2011 Mercedes-Benz E350 4MATIC Wagon  (Read 16521 times)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Test Drive: 2011 Mercedes-Benz E350 4MATIC Wagon
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2010, 08:31:09 am »
10 and 2 was before airbags.  Nowadays you don't want your arms in front of your face.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2010, 08:50:16 am »
10 and 2 was before airbags.  Nowadays you don't want your arms in front of your face.

WHAT!?!.....you mean to say things have changed since 1975???  ;D
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline JSCC

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2010, 07:39:25 pm »
...Nearly all of the luxury makes have utilities priced less than their mid sedans (and wagon variants), for whatever reason. I don't really get it either, but it's little wonder the utilities sell in greater numbers.

Maybe because they (ML, GL, R, X5, X6) are made in North America?
Actually, the GLK and Q7 are not, never mind.
2011 MB C300 4Matic (Tenorite Grey)
2010 MB C300 4Matic (Iridium Silver)
2002 VW Jetta 1.8T GLS Sport Luxury Leather package

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2010, 08:18:00 pm »
I didn't touch my Mercedes' ACC settings from one year to the next.  22C and the car picked the vents, fan speed etc, and it always seemed perfect.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2010, 08:49:00 pm »
This thing is beautiful, and exactly what I'd want in a family hauler. Too bad I can't afford one at this point in my life, maybe some time in the future, when the kids are out of the household and I don't need one,  :rofl2:

I'd really like to see more wagons of this size at a less than luxury price. 
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

pro/zack

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2010, 09:31:44 am »
WOW !! A wagon, AWD and a Mercedes. This thing is very cool !! Although not as sexy as my Old's Vista Cruiser with the MacTac woodgrain siding and a 455 ci Rocket engine but it's close. Man, I miss that car ! Wagons rule, eh?

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2010, 10:45:24 am »
Surprised the rear windows are tinted on this wagon. Isn't that illegal from the factory on a vehicle classified as a car, or what am I missing? Perhaps having the 7 seats allows Benz to tint?

I thought you could put plywood boards in the rear windows on cars if you wished? I thought only the windshield (duh!) and front passenger windows are actually limited in the degree of tint. No?

I don't know what the regs are. An HHR is classified as a truck and therefore can have tint. A Mazda5 is classified as a car/wagon and cannot, has maximum capacity of 6. This Benz Wagon must be classified as a car but has seating for 7, so perhaps the 7 seating capacity allows tint? May Google this...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 10:49:49 am by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2010, 10:50:09 am »
I thought the HHR was classified as a truck because GM asked for it .  Isn't one of the Subaru's the same?

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2010, 10:52:39 am »
I thought the HHR was classified as a truck because GM asked for it .  Isn't one of the Subaru's the same?

Yes, and as a side benefit the windows can be tinted.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2010, 10:24:35 am »
King, that annoys the heck out of me too!

markrover

« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2010, 01:36:36 pm »
@wing
Perhaps there's legroom but that's it. My daughter who is 7 sat back there and looked like a giant ;-)

When did you daughter sit in one? I have been waiting for this car to arrive - the dealer told me in late September or early October. And it has still not arrived as of today (mid October).

markrover

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2010, 07:16:22 am »
Test drove one of these the other day; I have a new Volvo wagon which is $20,000 cheaper. Impressions:

Yes, the climate controls are set too low. I don't care if you do set it to "Auto" and leave it - they are still too low. If you need to change it for whatever reason, your eyes are off the road. Low set buttons instead of rotatory dials make it confusing too - too many buttons to sort through. Not an optimal design.

Seats: Low set, especially the rear. Firmer than my liking. You know, the Swedes also make seats that are comfortable over long-distances without being rock-hard so I don't buy the argument that German cars have hard seats to provide support over long distances.

Leather: not as soft as you would expect.

Parking assist: what the reviewer failed to mention is that this car DOES NOT have front or rear parking sensors... unbelievable in a car of this price. The GLK, E Sedan, ML etc all have them - but the station wagon E series available in Canada (also known as the T-model) does not have them at any price. It does have a rear view camera, but it is not the same. This is a serious omission in my view.

Turning signals: as one poster here did mention, the indicator stalk for turning signals is set too low. It is not in a natural position  - you need to reach down. Stupid really.

Rear fog light: I did not see a switch. Did they fail to put one as well?

Child third row seats: these are so small and flimsy that they look comical. I have not read anywhere on the internet where they were not rated as "useless".

Engine: it is powered by the 3.5L V6 that was present in the last E-class wagon - a new 3.5L engine ("Blue Efficiency") with uprated power is on sale in Europe. We have to make do with the last generation one until Mercedes brings the new one here. Kind of disappointing. The engine is more than adequate, does have to work somewhat when accelerating. It is the minimum what you would expect in a car of this price though.

Rear compartment luggage space: the rear seats fold down by pulling a lever at the rear (left and right separate). Interesting concept - you don't need to open the door and pull the seats down yourself. Not sure how difficult it would be to lower the seats the traditional way. However, the seats do not fold down completely, which is more important than how to get the seats down in the first place. They sort of float a bit, probably due to the thickness of the backrest cushion. A nice feature is that the cargo cover can be set to rise and fall when lifting the rear hatch so that the back is always covered. Also the seats fold down as 60:40, as opposed to 40:20:40 as in a Volvo.

Steering: a little too light for my tastes.

Some good points:

Interior: in Canada, the only option is a black roof liner, which is part of the standart AMG Styling Package. While initially hesitant (I prefer airy, light interiors), it is actually quite nice, especially if coupled with beige seats - while a personal taste matter, in my view it is distinctive and looks quite nice.
Attention to detail and quality is impeccable. Doors close with a well-engineered sound

Turning circle radius: quite sharp, less than the Volvo - easy to maneouver then.

Instruments: this car does have a real clock, a temperature gauge for coolant.

Ride: as expected, smooth, soaks up bumps on the road, quite interior. Feels very solid.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2010, 07:52:34 am »
Thanks for the impressions, but I have to point out that the turning stalk is where it is because you're supposed to drive with your hands at a 9-3 position. If you do that, the stalk falls right in your hand, no need to move down.

markrover

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2010, 08:24:49 am »
Thanks for the impressions, but I have to point out that the turning stalk is where it is because you're supposed to drive with your hands at a 9-3 position. If you do that, the stalk falls right in your hand, no need to move down.

Hmmm - in my 2009 Volvo XC70 they seem perfectly placed, even though I drive the same way. Another commentator on here mentioned the same thing about the Mercedes.... I am assuming by placing the stalk lower, Mercedes wants us to put our hands lower. May require readjusting they way I drive.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2010, 08:42:52 am »

Hmmm - in my 2009 Volvo XC70 they seem perfectly placed, even though I drive the same way. Another commentator on here mentioned the same thing about the Mercedes.... I am assuming by placing the stalk lower, Mercedes wants us to put our hands lower. May require readjusting they way I drive.

10-2 we all learned in driving school is no longer recommended, 9-3 is the new 'right' way to drive, because of air bags.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2010, 08:43:51 am »
Engine: it is powered by the 3.5L V6 that was present in the last E-class wagon - a new 3.5L engine ("Blue Efficiency") with uprated power is on sale in Europe. We have to make do with the last generation one until Mercedes brings the new one here. Kind of disappointing. The engine is more than adequate, does have to work somewhat when accelerating. It is the minimum what you would expect in a car of this price though.

IIRC the reason for the older engine is that the new one requires gas that is ALWAYS <15ppm. Our gas is, at the pump, on average <30 ppm.  Which is many,many times better than it used to be but could still be cleaner.  
I think that the same sort of differences exists between Euro diesel and ours...not sure on that one.

markrover

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2010, 04:45:22 pm »

IIRC the reason for the older engine is that the new one requires gas that is ALWAYS <15ppm. Our gas is, at the pump, on average <30 ppm.  Which is many,many times better than it used to be but could still be cleaner.  
I think that the same sort of differences exists between Euro diesel and ours...not sure on that one.

Mercedes is supposedly going to bring the new 3.5L engine here in 2012 or 2013....it is coming. I wonder if it is less about engine fuel than it is about meeting Canadian / North American regulatory standards.