Author Topic: Why Do People Hate On a Specific Manufacturer??  (Read 7164 times)

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
Re: Why Do People Hate On a Specific Manufacturer??
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2010, 09:30:57 am »
Some people are "special". I think there is a clear difference between some people who have a real hate for a manufacturer and people who are cautious or upset because they have been burned in the past. There are two distinctly different groups of people.

For instance, I love the Toyota haters. You especially see them on some of the blog sites but also on enthusiast forums too. Any time anything is mentioned about a Toyota... I can guarantee you will see a bunch of people deriding the vehicles as "appliances", "beige", "boring" and other descriptors. Looks are subjective but I bet you many of these folks have never even test driven one - it's just "reflex hate" :) 

There are the Hyundai haters who deride a new design because it looks like something else. There are the GM haters who say it will fall apart by the time you make it to your garage.

Personally I like well designed, comfortable for me, and reliable no matter who designed or built them. The last time I went to buy a car that ended up being a Toyota. Next time it could be a Ford or a Hyundai or a GM product... whoever has the best vehicle for my future needs. I guess I don't have the hate :)

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2010, 10:20:18 am »
Message to all haters: Go to therapy, there's hope for you.
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2010, 10:23:45 am »
I've changed teams man!!!   ;D  I got tired of the anti-domestic rhetoric, so I started to take the other side and converted myself.

You don't need to look far for good examples....

Let's face it folks, the United States is in a irreversible decline economically and political and by default,

SJP

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2010, 02:00:31 pm »
EVERY manufacturer today has the ability/technology to put out some great vehicles. Or some duds. I have always had great luck with Toyota products, but have mentioned to friends over the past few years,  that I found Toyota and Honda resting on their past reputation a bit, but they still have some great products. Ford made some great decisions and have some great products to show for their investments. GM is turning things around, and of course look what the Korean companies have been able to bring us over the last few years.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 03:05:27 pm by SJP »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2010, 03:31:11 pm »
I've changed teams man!!!   ;D  I got tired of the anti-domestic rhetoric, so I started to take the other side and converted myself.

OH!!!  So you sold your 3 imports and replaced them with domestics??  When did that happen??   ;)
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2010, 03:57:45 pm »

OH!!!  So you sold your 3 imports and replaced them with domestics??  When did that happen??   ;)

In due time rrocket-san!  One might say that owning 3 imports makes positive comments on the Big 3 even more impactful.

When it comes time to depend on a machine...I go American.  Who-whoo Cessna!   ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2010, 04:01:34 pm »

OH!!!  So you sold your 3 imports and replaced them with domestics??  When did that happen??   ;)

In due time rrocket-san!  One might say that owning 3 imports makes positive comments on the Big 3 even more impactful.

When it comes time to depend on a machine...I go American.  Who-whoo Cessna!   ;D

Ok...so it's all bluster and idle talk at this point....got it!    ;D

Ok,...while we're here.  What would you replace each with??

P5=
RX-8=
Mini=

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2010, 04:18:13 pm »

You don't need to look far for good examples....

Let's face it folks, the United States is in a irreversible decline economically and political and by default,

Same here.  After recently ordering my new Edge Limited, not only will it be the first time in over 7 years without an Infiniti in the driveway, it will also be the first time in over 20 years that I've owned a domestic!  :)
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2010, 05:10:35 pm »
Ok...so it's all bluster and idle talk at this point....got it!    ;D

Hey, at least I'd consider everything unlike many around here...but yes...it's all sensible bluster at this point.

P5= Sonata
RX-8= Genesis
Mini= Sonata convertible

OK, OK....

P5= Cobalt SS sedan or HHR...since no longer in production, Focus 5-door
RX-8= Boss, GrandSport, ZR-1, Challenger
Mini= Well...this one's not mine...so I really don't care....but since you asked...I'll take GT convertible.

It'd be hard to avoid an Alfa if I ever get a chance to buy one.  I'd screw the domestics for one of those.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 05:32:58 pm by TopGun »

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2010, 05:25:26 pm »
..How many of you would marry your EX..................................not my Problemo.......but many DO......and not all are CELEBRITIES.................U R Spose to Lrn frm yer m's takes..........this if fer u Text addicts...... :rofl2:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2010, 10:25:48 pm »
I think there is a clear difference between some people who have a real hate for a manufacturer and people who are cautious or upset because they have been burned in the past.

And that is exactly it.

My first brand new car was domestic. Eighteen months later I was only too happy to see it go down the road with someone else in it.

I'm not willing to take a chance on another and I'm not willing to take the monetary hit getting rid of it.
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2010, 10:28:58 pm »
My first brand new car was domestic
I'm not willing to take a chance on another and I'm not willing to take the monetary hit getting rid of it.

Just curious...when was that HCRV?

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2010, 10:39:58 pm »
My first brand new car was domestic

Back in 1981 when "Quality is Job 1"...remember that slogan. I had trouble finding it...the quality that is.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2010, 10:04:46 am »

Back in 1981 when "Quality is Job 1"...remember that slogan. I had trouble finding it...the quality that is.

You know 1981 was 30 model years ago right?   ;D

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2010, 11:14:42 am »
Wow to keep a hate on for that long   ---say Hcrv - you wouldn't happen to have a relative in London by any chance, would you?  ;D

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12396
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: Why Do People Hate On a Specific Manufacturer?
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2010, 11:15:45 am »
I only know of one specific brand-hater - that's our resident Hyundai-hating troll who uses his sig line to diss the brand and never lets an opportunity pass to say something negative about one of their models - whether the thread is about a Hyundai product, or not.

He tries to pass this off as "Well, just 'cause I don't LOVE the brand doesn't make me a hater!"  Except he doesn't love the brand in kind of the same way most kids don't love broccoli.

You have your domestic slappies and your import fanboys - they are what they are - seeing the world pretty much in black and white.  The domestic slappies also have a highly developed persecution complex that is funny to observe.  If you say 10 nice things about a domestic product and one bad thing, you are such a "hater" in their eyes.

I really can't explain the behavior.

We've also got at least one outright shill - starting multiple threads all of which are about the products of a particular brand, always ready right on hand with the latest announcements, developments, statistics and general information about that brand.  Nope, not too transparent at all.

I love no brand and hate no brand.  Every manufacturer has good and less good - some have bad.  The mix changes.  I take each model as it comes.  Every manufacturer has its duds.  No car is perfect and beyond criticism of any kind.

Jaeger
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 11:24:01 am by Jaeger »
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline drederick

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2010, 12:30:22 pm »
Hate is such a strong word! I'm sure most people here wouldn't go out of their way to cut off a driver of an x because they are an Artic or a "slappy" of the Domestics.

What I do 'hate' though are people writing out their arses saying x is better than y when they don't even know about x, let alone y!
blah blah blah Toyota blah blah blah I feel your pain; you've got a GM, it's worth squat and you owe on it. 

Dude, if the displacment is EXACT, it's not "all new".  The intake is different, the VVT is now on both sets of valves  In the automotive world "all new" often means somewhat different

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2010, 05:06:28 pm »
I wish it was so easy here as to only define it in terms of hating or not. As I have said before, you can also get into trouble for not hating a car or brand enough.

What I do hate around here is the people who will take one aspect of a car they don't like, state it in a thread, and then instead of leaving it alone, they will post the same grievance over and over again, post after post, thread after thread, ad infinitum. Ok, we get it. You don't like a certain car or brand. So be it.You have stated what you think. But, instead of leaving the thread and letting others who might like that vehicle or brand go and discuss it, they have to keep posting the same thing over and over and over again. All they achieve is making themselves look stupid and driving people away from this board who might want to discuss the vehicle in question.

Any brands that I hate? Not that I can think of. Toyota makes nothing that would interest me right now, but I did take a look at the Toyota and Lexus store before buying my present car. I liked the Genesis Sedan alot, but ultimately chose something different. I really don't believe that any company makes a really bad car anymore.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2010, 06:35:29 pm »

You know 1981 was 30 model years ago right?   ;D

Yup, I know. And why should I believe they've changed? They tried to make me believe "Quality Is Job 1" back then. So what line would they try to have me believe today. They got their chance...they effed up.

I'll switch when what I am driving no longer provides me with good service.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2010, 06:38:44 pm »
Wow to keep a hate on for that long   ---say Hcrv - you wouldn't happen to have a relative in London by any chance, would you?  ;D

I guess you missed my first post on page one or you wouldn't have jumped to conclusions.

Sure I'll drive one after they give it to me. If I think I got good value after ten years, I'll pay them.  ;)

I just can't figure out how a company (GM) of such fine cars can be in trouble. I'm all ears.