Author Topic: Why Do People Hate On a Specific Manufacturer??  (Read 7140 times)

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
Why Do People Hate On a Specific Manufacturer??
« on: September 29, 2010, 10:20:33 pm »
Just curious.  I've been around car forums for many years, Admin on a couple as well.  One thing always baffled me is how deep and admimant some member's hate is towards a specific manufacturer.......or even an entire Continent's produced vehicles.  What's with that?  Is there any reason why people just love to hate a certain brand??   ???  I never understood that. 

I am a car enthusiast at heart and hood symbols don't really mean that much to me.  I would have no problem telling a friend that I just bought a Kia, GM, Hyundai, Ford, etc.  Don't get me wrong, I certainly prefer some brands over others, I just never understood the obsessive hate that some people have and show for certain brands. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: Why Do People Hate On a Specific Manufacturer??
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 10:24:23 pm »
I think we had this exact same thread a while ago.

Sometimes brand hatred is just from experience, once burned and all that jazz.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 10:30:11 pm »

Forgive me if the topic has been brought up previously. 

I don't buy the "once burned" thing either.  I owned a 98 VW Wolfsburg Jetta that I really enjoyed.  Long story short, I had MANY problems with it, became very frustrated with it, and simply sold it for another car.  I haven't developed any strong dislike for VW, or any other German manufacturer for that matter.  Dunno, maybe it's just me. 

Offline saint_satan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 10:34:54 pm »
I don't get it either.  My favourite is "domestic vs. import".  There is so much integration, there is really no such thing.  Consider this:

A whole pile of Toyotas and Hondas are built in Ontario (e.g., RAV4, Corrolla, Civic)

A whole pile of GMs, and VWs are made in Mexico, China

Jatco makes transmissions for Nissan and Jeep

The 2.4l World engine is found in Hyundai, mitsu, Jeep and chryco vehicles

Suzuki 3.2 V6 are made by GM.  VW now has 20% stake in Suzuki

Mercedes is supplying diesel engines in the euro Patriot

The Ford Escape is a rip off of the Mazda Tribute (well - Ford had ownership and stole the idea).

As so on.  This isn't new - my 10 year old Jeep - the "iconic" american SUV, the Cherokee - has a transmission made by Aisin (Toyota) with an Renault designed engine (4.0).

I say buy what you like – labels are getting to be almost meaningless.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 10:42:47 pm »

I don't buy the "once burned" thing either.  

I'm not asking for your agreement, just giving my opinion.  I have been burned in the past, won't go there again.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 10:43:54 pm »
Is there any reason why people just love to hate a certain brand??

Its not a "hate" thing; I just won't buy certain brands/models because I don't think they are good long term value, and so far, according to my wallet, I've made some good choices. Sometimes I just don't like what they have to offer.

In fact, some brands that I own or have owned, I might not buy a certain string of years simply because they messed up on the styling...or whatever.
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 10:53:05 pm »

I don't buy the "once burned" thing either.  
I'm not asking for your agreement, just giving my opinion.  I have been burned in the past, won't go there again.

Ok, perhaps I wasn't clear or maybe should of clarified a little more in my OP.  I am talking about people on car forums that feel compelled to show their hate towards a specific brand any chance they get.  Like you, I've been burned as well, but I certainly don't go around spewing crap on every VW thread.  Hopefully that makes more sense now. 

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 10:59:53 pm »
I don't get it either. When it's time for a new car, I look at everything that might fit the bill then start paring down the list.

History of the mark isn't that important either, because quality and reliability ebb and flow for all of them. I do consider the reliability of a particular model, but even that isn't a main determining factor. I am more concerned with the dealership and it's history. That, more than anything burned me on getting another Toyota in Fredericton. The local Toyota dealership seems to be much, much better, so they're back in the game if they have anything competitive when I look next.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 11:02:22 pm »
I don't get it either. When it's time for a new car, I look at everything that might fit the bill then start paring down the list.

History of the mark isn't that important either, because quality and reliability ebb and flow for all of them. I do consider the reliability of a particular model, but even that isn't a main determining factor. I am more concerned with the dealership and it's history.

Completely agree!!!

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 11:34:13 pm »

History of the mark isn't that important either, because quality and reliability ebb and flow for all of them.

I must admit that's exactly what I did, but I have to honest, there will still be a bias.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 11:41:09 pm »

History of the mark isn't that important either, because quality and reliability ebb and flow for all of them.

I must admit that's exactly what I did, but I have to honest, there will still be a bias.

I don't see a problem there, Bob. Everyone has certain biases.

Some go way overboard with it though. That just gets tiresome.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 12:06:28 am »
Agreed.

My shopping list started with Impreza 2.5, used Ford Marauder, used Lexus GS430, Honda Civic, Dodge Challenger and a Fiesta!!

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 12:13:33 am »
Agreed.

My shopping list started with Impreza 2.5, used Ford Marauder, used Lexus GS430, Honda Civic, Dodge Challenger and a Fiesta!!

Sounds like how I start out! It usually takes me months to get an idea of which way to go.

Last time I started out with a Focus wagon, then Patriot, Journey, Caravan, Equinox, Taurus X, Odyssey, Mazda 5, Legacy wagon, finally Outback.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 12:33:22 am »
Let's face it folks, the United States is in a irreversible decline economically and political and by default, we are following suit.  GM and Chrysler, losers on all fronts for so many years, paying their executives outrageous salary and stock options, and then declaring Chapter 11 forced most ppl to face this reality.  So in desperation ppl become "tribal".  Consequently, the D3 become the "Nationalist's" choice.  Somehow, these ppl think that foreign competitors have led to our decline when in fact it's the laws of globalization and the deregulation of the US banking system.

Obama Motors did a fantastic job playing the "Nationalist" card against Toyota, the company that surpassed GM.  When the US Government owns a car company and then it has it's appointee, Secretary of Transportation, declare to the country, "stop driving your Toyotas", it has a profound effect on the mindless souls that make up the population.  Governments have always used fear and misrepresentation to start wars and attack other religions (Iraq and Islam come to mind) .  PPl are so easily manipulated when they're fearful and that is why you see such a fervor from the D3 supporters.  :)

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 12:36:58 am »
Crazy ramblings

This is relevant to the thread how exactly?

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2010, 12:57:31 am »
This is relevant to the thread how exactly?

It's OK to be one of those ppl.  :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2010, 02:17:59 am »
I don't know if "hate" is the right word.  Although we were burned terribly by a GM product, I don't "hate" GM.  I'm rather fond of their vast V8 experience (I'm a torque whore, remember?) and the Buick interiors are top notch and I dig them.  I just won't go out of my way to be a slappy for them.  When you buy a car, you're putting alot of trust (and financial commitment) into that manufacturer.  When someone saves money or scrimps for X number of years to buy a car, and it's a POS, it's hard to become a future cheerleader for them.  Most people who buy a car don't expect greatness or perfection (both tall orders).  They just expect a car to work as it should...nothing more.  And if it doesn't?  A little help from the manufacturer would be appreciated.  And if you get neither of those things?  It's not soon forgotten.  For most people, after their mortgage their car is their next biggest financial commitment.  So it's important to them.  So any negative experience impacts how they feel about a product.

But that's not unexpected or abnormal behavior.  Many people won't go back to a restaurant where they've had bad food or service.  And they certainly won't recommend it to friends or give accolades.  Ever have bad gas at a gas station?  I know friends who have personally "black listed" certain gas stations.  Ditto with PCs.  In this corner PC people..in that one Mac people.

I think this type of behavior shows up in ALL facets of life.  Cars, electronics, politics, clothing, etc.  I don't think it's "hate"...we just like what we like when it's good to us and we feel we're getting good bang for the buck. 

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2010, 06:33:02 am »
Let's face it folks,

some people cannot keep their political beliefs from overtaking everything they do, and so they make ever discussion about cars into some sort of political harangue.

That's why some people have a 'hate on' for some brands.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2010, 07:23:29 am »

History of the mark isn't that important either, because quality and reliability ebb and flow for all of them. I do consider the reliability of a particular model, but even that isn't a main determining factor. I am more concerned with the dealership and it's history. That, more than anything burned me on getting another Toyota in Fredericton. The local Toyota dealership seems to be much, much better, so they're back in the game if they have anything competitive when I look next.

:iagree: Well said Sir O

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2010, 07:43:45 am »
Some people will never let go nor will they forgive. We know one such person who detests Hondas and would never go there again. Those who bought original Hyundai Pony's learned a lesson and then there was the Russian invasion of Ladas. Yikes!

Hey that was then. Get over it and if you can't at least keep it to yourself. Life is too short to carry that much baggage.

There are cars that I would not choose either because of what my needs are or perhaps based on the known reliability of that brand. But hate them - no way - just don't want them.