Author Topic: Wife's Company Car - What to Choose?  (Read 5074 times)

Leviathan

Re: Wife's Company Car - What to Choose?
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2010, 06:12:15 pm »
Not really a fan of the Escape.  Too  truckish and the interior is meh.   Also, is that the 4 cyl. Escape?  If so, avoid.  It's underpowered and noisy.

Altima or Fusion for me.
No love for the 4cyl Escape? Didn't Ford say that the 2009+ 2.5L Escape is as fast 0-60 as the 2008 200hp V6 model? I didn't find the 2009 4cyl Escape too noisy when my friend was test driving one.

Leviathan

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2010, 06:14:45 pm »
My two favourites would be the Rogue and Escape.  So, which way would you go?
Rogue or Escape (Patriot distant 3rd) for a CUV and probably Fusion or Cruze for a sedan.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2010, 06:22:48 pm »
I'd only go for the Fusion...

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2010, 07:09:02 pm »
Highway car the fusion is probably the quietest of the bunch, I'd go with it.

baumer00

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2010, 08:00:58 pm »
It is the 4 banger Escape.

Here driving is highway to work, but it's not highway speeds, she is driving from yonge/bloor to hwy404/hwy7, so the traffic in rush hour will always suck.  She does not have the option to take an allowance and buy what she wants.

Hopefully we'll find some time this weekend to test drive.  It's my car as well, got rid of the Murano a while ago, just haven't updated my status.  My preference would be to be up high so I would choose one of the SUVs.

I find the fusion and altima to both be extremely boring.

CatsEye68

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2010, 08:06:55 pm »
What?? No Sonata??? Heresy!!!  :rofl:

I don't think a 4-banger Escape would be much fun. Better than the Rogue, which has a bad vibration problem, but neither are top-drawer. Fusion, Altima or Cruze for me.

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2010, 08:56:35 pm »
A great chance to do something a little different with the Cruze.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2010, 09:35:43 pm »

No love for the 4cyl Escape? Didn't Ford say that the 2009+ 2.5L Escape is as fast 0-60 as the 2008 200hp V6 model? I didn't find the 2009 4cyl Escape too noisy when my friend was test driving one.

Was the previous engine a 2.3?  A buddy had one and whenever we were merging / passing on the highway it seemed to make a lot of noise and not much acceleration.  The new 2.5 may be better.

There's nothing on that list that is particularly exciting.   Maybe the Cruze Turbo.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2010, 10:08:40 pm »
..a company car for the Wifey,good swop................................. :P
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2010, 12:43:54 am »
Fusion, Altima (if the CVT doesn't bug her), maybe Cruze.

Never saw the point of a FWD CUV: no traction advantage, higher fuel consumption and centre of gravity than an equivalent car.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Leviathan

« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2010, 01:20:29 am »
Was the previous engine a 2.3?  A buddy had one and whenever we were merging / passing on the highway it seemed to make a lot of noise and not much acceleration.  The new 2.5 may be better.
Yes, 2.3L.  Attached to a 5speed manual it goes pretty good but the 4speed auto doesn't do it any favours.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2010, 06:43:19 am »
Never saw the point of a FWD CUV: no traction advantage, higher fuel consumption and centre of gravity than an equivalent car.
I understand the point
CUV are just rasied wagons, and if you do not want AWD, and need room want else is there to buy

baumer00

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2010, 09:52:54 am »
I agree with what AB just said about the benefits of the CUV.  With snow tires, stability and traction control I think you're pretty safe, especially for city driving (which is 99.9% of the driving we do).

I think the list has been narrowed down to:
Nissan Altima
Nissan Rogue
Ford Fusion
Ford Escape

My preference (without having driven any of them, so subject to change) is the Escape.

I'm surprised so many people have suggested the Altima and the Fusion.  I find the Altima to be pretty bulbous and lacking in amenities and I dont really see the appeal of the Fusion, looks like a rental car to me.

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2010, 12:15:49 pm »
I agree with what AB just said about the benefits of the CUV.  With snow tires, stability and traction control I think you're pretty safe, especially for city driving (which is 99.9% of the driving we do).

I think the list has been narrowed down to:
Nissan Altima
Nissan Rogue
Ford Fusion
Ford Escape

My preference (without having driven any of them, so subject to change) is the Escape.

I'm surprised so many people have suggested the Altima and the Fusion.  I find the Altima to be pretty bulbous and lacking in amenities and I dont really see the appeal of the Fusion, looks like a rental car to me.
I've briefly driven the Altima before and it was a really nice drive. The 2.5L seems to be a very good engine... certainly felt like it had good power when I was driving it around. A neighbor of mine bought a near top spec and loved it. I didn't like the interior as much but I thought the exterior looked quite good. Fusion would be my second choice... the Cruze seems interesting but I don't know much about it. The Escape would be last given how antiquated it is and how far behind it is in nearly every respect. Only the hybrid would be worth looking at IMHO. Curious... why do you put Escape at the top? It's not a bad car... it's just 10 years old in my mind :)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2010, 12:21:11 pm »
Escape was redesigned in 2009...  The new engines made a big difference.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2010, 12:34:50 pm »
Escape was redesigned in 2009...  The new engines made a big difference.

Yeah, I rented a 2008 V6 Escape and felt it had not guts.  I recently rented 2010 Escape and was very surprised how much the new 240HP V6 made a difference.

Offline Loudpedal

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '08 Acura TL '08 Honda Odyssey
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2010, 12:55:14 pm »
Altima or Rogue (if she wants an SUV).

+2.  Plant foreman just got a new Altima.  Nice car!

Neighbour has both, and really like them.   Plus, the 4 cyl Altima may be the most 'performance' orinted vehicle of the group.   
Internal combustion thrust I trust

baumer00

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2010, 02:41:32 pm »

why do you put Escape at the top? It's not a bad car... it's just 10 years old in my mind :)

I've always enjoyed the looks of the escape, but have never had the chance to drive it.  I think it is the best looking of the bunch, but am fearful that it is underpowered and has a poor interior.  Guess the only way to find out is to drive it. 

Leviathan

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2010, 02:55:47 pm »
I've always enjoyed the looks of the escape, but have never had the chance to drive it.  I think it is the best looking of the bunch, but am fearful that it is underpowered and has a poor interior.  Guess the only way to find out is to drive it. 
I find the darker interior to be nicer than the beige interior  :hurl:  Power? I've found the power to be fine off the line, highway merging and 80-120km/h passing in 3rd gear to be very good. The 2.5L with 6speed auto should be a little better.

baumer00

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2010, 09:33:27 pm »
I find the darker interior to be nicer than the beige interior  :hurl:  Power? I've found the power to be fine off the line, highway merging and 80-120km/h passing in 3rd gear to be very good. The 2.5L with 6speed auto should be a little better.
Thanks for the feedback, I hope you're correct, but won't know until we test it.  Have you had any major issues with it?