Author Topic: Hatchbacks are in?  (Read 1753 times)

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
Hatchbacks are in?
« on: September 28, 2010, 02:37:47 pm »
We've had many a discussion on here about hatchbacks and wagons and the acceptance of said class of vehicle in the North American market. Although many of us feel that Canada is a little different than the US... it does seem that a shift is taking place.

I saw this article and I found it really interesting: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/28/hatchbacks-who-says-americans-dont-buy-em/

Approximately 60% of Fiestas that have been sold so far are hatchback rather than sedan and that is only one example amongst many.  Personally I would have bought a hatchback rather than sedan but the Corolla ended up being the car of choice and they don't offer it in hatchback/wagon form - they offer the Matrix but that's a totally different car interior wise (and I hated it).

Maybe by the time I start a family and need a  family vehicle there will be some true midsize hatchback/wagon vehicles on the market. I have small hopes that Ford may do that when the Mondeo and Fusion merge.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Hatchbacks are in?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 03:04:34 pm »
Funny this hatchback thing  ( and wagon thing)   After all, what is the archetype of modern SUVs, the Ford Explorer but either a hatchback or a wagon. It  just happens to be a bit higher than some.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 03:33:29 pm »
Funny this hatchback thing  ( and wagon thing)   After all, what is the archetype of modern SUVs, the Ford Explorer but either a hatchback or a wagon. It  just happens to be a bit higher than some.

I think you have a point. Americans quit buying wagons when they invented the SUV. When I was a kid growing up in the 60's and 70's we always had a wagon. (Mercury Colony Park,Grand Turino,Chev Caprice Classic etc,etc) After the mid 90's my dad switched to an Explorer followed by 2 Envoys and then a Murano.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 04:47:32 pm »
Cars like the Murano, that is unit bodies not body on chassis ARE hatchbacks. Scale them down and they are no different from a Golf or a Yaris hatch.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 05:25:23 pm »
I don't disagree,however, I think less trucklike SUV's replaced the "Brady Bunch" wagon of the 70's and 80's and then morphed into CUV's with unitbody construction and a more "car-like" feel.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 05:36:05 pm »

Devolution in Action...............CUVMagnon Man.............. :rofl2:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 05:36:50 pm »
It's handy to have a hatch in the back.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 05:55:23 pm »
 3 and 0 wot can I say................ :D

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 11:35:33 pm »
Interesting that while inexpensive/entry level hatches seem to do very well, high-end hatches are still unpopular. I wonder what we can extrapolate from this?

Younger people are buying their first car, which tends to be an entry-level vehicle, and opting for hatches? This would imply that as time goes on demand for premium hatchbacks will increase.

People of all age groups are choosing more fuel efficient vehicles? These "smart shoppers" also recognize the obvious benefits of hatches vs. sedans, and are opting for the more practical car?

I'm also quite interested that the Mazda3 sedan outsells the hatch. That seems to be counter-intuitive to both of my guesses, though as the article says, the hatch is a lot more expensive than the sedan...

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 01:47:54 am »
Smaller cars looks better in hatch than its sedan counter part, that might contribute to its higher numbers.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 04:00:04 pm »
Smaller cars looks better in hatch than its sedan counter part, that might contribute to its higher numbers.

Good point and I agree

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 04:16:50 pm »
A properly designed hatch should have better aerodynamics than a sedan... a small advantage in economy.  To be fair this would work better for longer cars than stubby ones like the Yaris

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 04:38:45 pm »
I quite like my hatch, but for many there is a stigma out there.

If there is a choice for a hatch (or wagon) on any car I buy I will always opt for the hatch.  So much easier to load and way more practical.

Nathan@1010tires

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 06:55:11 pm »
I've owned four cars, all hatchbacks. My wife however prefers sedans, so go figure.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 08:57:17 pm »

Nothing like picking up the lawnmower after a round of golf   :)

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 11:13:26 pm »
Interesting that while inexpensive/entry level hatches seem to do very well, high-end hatches are still unpopular. I wonder what we can extrapolate from this?

Younger people are buying their first car, which tends to be an entry-level vehicle, and opting for hatches? This would imply that as time goes on demand for premium hatchbacks will increase.

People of all age groups are choosing more fuel efficient vehicles? These "smart shoppers" also recognize the obvious benefits of hatches vs. sedans, and are opting for the more practical car?

I'm also quite interested that the Mazda3 sedan outsells the hatch. That seems to be counter-intuitive to both of my guesses, though as the article says, the hatch is a lot more expensive than the sedan...
With the Mazda3 it's more complicated because until the last couple of model years...  There was the GX, GS and GT in the sedan form with only the GT having the larger engine (2.3L and then later 2.5L). For the hatch there was only the GS and GT and both had the larger engine. Now they have added the GX trim for the Mazda3 Sport and with the smaller engine. I wonder how many more of those will be sold in that configuration than before.

My generation loves hatchbacks so far. Maybe we'll see some hatchbacks at the higher levels at some point... i.e. wagons :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 11:24:09 pm by IceAndFire »

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2010, 12:45:03 pm »

With the Mazda3 it's more complicated because until the last couple of model years...  There was the GX, GS and GT in the sedan form with only the GT having the larger engine (2.3L and then later 2.5L). For the hatch there was only the GS and GT and both had the larger engine. Now they have added the GX trim for the Mazda3 Sport and with the smaller engine. I wonder how many more of those will be sold in that configuration than before.

My generation loves hatchbacks so far. Maybe we'll see some hatchbacks at the higher levels at some point... i.e. wagons :)

Yeah, I never understood why hatchbacks cost more money then thier sedan counterparts.  Maybe that rear wiper and hatch mechanics cost a lot?  Subaru still requires a premium for thier hatches over thier sedans.

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2010, 01:30:21 pm »
I drive a hatchback because it's so versatile and useful. It does what I want it to do and I don't drive it to impress anyone. Personally, I've never given a rat's ass what people think of the car I drive, and for them to feel it's somehow beneath them to be seen in a hatch or minivan is pretty indicative of how shallow our society's become. Big honking trucks and SUVs were 'in' not long ago, still are for a lot of people - maybe we should stigmatize them instead.   :P  THAT might actually get us somewhere.
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2010, 06:12:09 pm »
"Stigmatize" schmengie....yer wife wears a white 50's helmet and you haven't removed it yet.............. ;) :bang: :stick: :think: >:D

Offline DoubleClutch

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2010, 03:28:20 pm »
With small hatchbacks like the Mazda3s they're only more versatile if you don't have kids. Try putting one of those big ass strollers in the hatch without folding down the seats ... good luck. I would take a Mazda 3 sedan over a hatch every time. Wagon's on the other hand is a different story.