Author Topic: Feature: Electric Vehicle Conference 2010 in Vancouver  (Read 3089 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Feature: Electric Vehicle Conference 2010 in Vancouver
« on: September 28, 2010, 04:04:00 am »

At the recent EV 2010 Conference in Vancouver, enthusiasm about the future of electric cars was tempered by worries about the supply of lithium for batteries, electricity infrastructure, electric vehicle affordability, and "range anxiety," reports Gerry Frechette.

Read More...

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
Re: Feature: Electric Vehicle Conference 2010 in Vancouver
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 08:55:14 am »
Some interesting points made Gerry.

I think in the Vancouver area there will be some early adapters who can afford the novelty and the perceived greenness associated with electric vehicles.

For most people the extra cost and complexity of a hybrid or even pure electric vehicle is not valid.

While subsidies are not available as they were initially on Hybrids, sales will be a trickle.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/4477865056/

aknutson

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 09:21:38 am »
Some interesting points made Gerry.

I think in the Vancouver area there will be some early adapters who can afford the novelty and the perceived greenness associated with electric vehicles.

For most people the extra cost and complexity of a hybrid or even pure electric vehicle is not valid.

While subsidies are not available as they were initially on Hybrids, sales will be a trickle.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/4477865056/

Extra cost? Upfront, yes, but what is the 'cost' of our nation's dependency on oil? Complexity is not an issue in a pure EV, electric motors are a thousand times simpler than an ICE, not to mention more efficient at producing energy. I think the main problems are 1) how our climate, especially in northern parts of Canada, reduce charge in batteries, 2) lack of 'gas stations', you can't just charge up your EV in 5 minutes at a Shell on the side of the 401 (this will change), 3) the lack of mechanics or a network for educated professionals outside the dealer who can fix your car, and 4) a general hesitation towards something new.

Of course there will be early adopters to get the ball rolling, and the warmer climate on the coast helps with the batteries. If anything I think the biggest reaction will be out of the United States, where optimal conditions will result in better performance from these vehicles. As the technology improves so will the cars - Looking back the Model T wasn't a brilliant car, it was just a building block - as are the Volt, Leaf, etc.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 09:35:43 am »
This conference should be held in Winnipeg.  In January.   ;D
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline garytam

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 11:39:25 am »
Cost wise it makes total sense to go EV, as the electric cost per KM in BC is less than 1 cent, compare to 10 cents per km for a typical gas burner. So an average driver can save like a thousand dollar on Gas alone, plus there is no oil change, no fluid change, no timing belt, no coolant no nothing but tires and brakes.

However, there are two things MISSED in an EV that worried me so much:

1. THE 6 SPEED MANUAL Transmission!!!!

2. The 8000rpm red line .....!

IF they can somehow put a manual transmission to an EV and make it sounds like it will scream to a 8 or even 9k rpm red line then I will buy one for sure.!!!

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 12:21:55 pm »
This conference should be held in Winnipeg.  In January.   ;D

OR make the Conf attendees fly in on ELECTRIC PLANES................aaahh the silence...............as speaker after speaker...........DRONED on and on......assault on battery yer Honour.................to many "Qualifiers!!!" IF,May, etc......
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 01:23:16 pm »
good write up gerry

d7       your imev link - stated most are in wheel electric motors, i have found just the opposite is true

garytam      save your pennies  and buy a tesla , you won't mind

Richard Dinning

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 01:02:26 pm »
You say the only source of rare earth materials is in China. That's not true. We have our very own source here in Canada in the Rockies. However, China lowered the price so much the Canadian operation couldn't compete.