Author Topic: Test Drive: 2011 Buick Regal CXL  (Read 54366 times)

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2011 Buick Regal CXL
« Reply #220 on: October 03, 2010, 03:42:31 pm »

.....Most of the reviewers have called the base motor "adequate", as have I, and any number of others on here. Most on here object to your denigrating of people who have differing opinions......

Please continue to miss the point though, it never gets old.

He's never let fact get in the way before Sir O.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/05/06/2011-buick-regal-first-drive-in-germany/
2011 Buick Regal is a genuine German sports sedan:

We had no problem getting up to and sustaining 125 miles per hour in Regals powered by the normally aspirated 2.4-liter engine.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1004_2011_buick_regal_us_spec_drive/suspension.html
While the naturally aspirated 2.4-liter engine feels breathless when pushed, the turbocharged ....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 03, 2010, 04:35:04 pm »
Keep burying your head in the sand, fellas.

Almost any car can run at 125mph nowadays, so no biggie there.  To give you some perspective...the Regal CXL does the same 0-60 (or slower) as the hybrid, slow, Lexus HS250 I'm driving.  Are you going to tell me the HS250 is also sporting??  The Lexus IS250 is somewhat mocked for being a a girls car, a weakling and feeling slow..and it's almost a second quicker to 60.  C'mon guys...this car is a slug, why are you guys in denial about this?  When many of the reviews have "let down" and "just adequate" in them...you know somethings up.

CAR AND DRIVER: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/10q3/2011_buick_regal_cxl-road_test

Which brings us to even more bad news: The Regal’s excellent though heavy chassis is let down by its base powertrain. The 182-hp, 2.4-liter direct-injection four-cylinder falls 19 horses short of the TSX’s port-injected 2.4—granted, that one takes premium fuel— and 18 short of Hyundai’s DI 2.4-liter, which doesn’t. Plus the Regal’s torque peak sits at an elevated 4900 rpm, making the most potent part of the power band the narrow zone between that point and its 6500-rpm redline. A redline, you’ll notice, that is actually 200 rpm below the engine’s power peak (the fuel cutoff doesn’t come in until 7000 rpm, however, but the transmission shifts well shy of that any­way). Plus, it’s not nearly as engaging as the honking Acura engine, and during steep uphill sections of the Nürburgring, or even at high­way speeds, acceleration is discerned more by engine racket than actual thrust. And the transmission, while smooth, could be more prompt, particularly during wide-open-throttle upshifts and while using the manu­matic function. Use of the lat­ter becomes necessary during enthusiastic driving because, otherwise, upshifts happen the instant the driver backs off the throttle.

When pressed about this, Buick types tend to mention “responsible performance.” We have another term for the Regal’s ordinary horsepower and substantial heft: slow. Accelerating to 60 mph in 8.7 seconds puts the Regal at the plodding end of the four-cyl­inder family-sedan crowd and well off the luxury pace. Even fuel-economy ratings— 19 mpg city and 30 highway— are clobbered by the similarly sized Sonata (22 city and 35 highway) and bettered by the larger and 58-hp stronger BMW 528i, too

CANADIANDRIVER  http://www.canadiandriver.com/2010/09/22/test-drive-2011-buick-regal-cxl.htm/2

Unfortunately, the base Regal is let down by its pedestrian powertrain.
The engine’s power is only adequate, and while there’s nothing wrong with a car not having the most powerful motor in its class, you’d at least hope for one willing to go all out when pressed. Instead, the 2.4-litre four-cylinder never sounds happy about being run out to its 6,500 rpm redline. Compounding that is the slow-witted nature of this automatic transmission, which also feels completely uninterested in making the Regal go fast. It’s hesitant to downshift when acceleration is called for, and in my car, felt indecisive about the right time to upshift in many situations (which is not something I’ve noticed in other GM cars with this transmission). To be clear, it’s not that the powertrain is poor; it’s simply underwhelming and has no business in a car being marketed as a sport sedan.

CanadianDriver (James)  http://www.canadiandriver.com/2010/08/17/day-by-day-review-2011-buick-regal-cxl.htm/3

I’m not sure how this engine and transmission combination can be deemed sporty, though. It really is a letdown compared to what seems like a really well-done chassis. The six-speed automatic shifts slowly and manual mode is worse than just letting it chose gears on its own.

The 2.4-litre engine works fine but there is nothing exciting to talk about here. It moves the car’s weight adequately but doesn’t feel peppy or eager in any way.

AUTONORTH  http://www.autonorth.ca/home/2010/8/30/behind-the-wheel-2011-buick-regal-cxl-review.html

Try as we might, we just weren’t able to make the Regal feel exciting to drive, in any situation. Hard acceleration out of a corner resulted in a lackluster response; downshifting and accelerating hard to pass slow traffic resulted in a quickened heart-rate, but not because of the thrill of speed. Sport sedan, minus the sport.

And it goes on and on and on.

Go read almost ANY car review with a car that does 0-60 in 8.5-8.7 seconds and see if they refer to it as fast, thrilling, exciting, etc...Yes, it will be adequate for the AVERAGE driver...but most people buying sport sedans aren't looking for adequate, average performance.

My Echo does 0-60 in the same time as does my hybrid loaner...and neither of those are exciting in the least.  Instead, they are SLOW
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 04:43:39 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #222 on: October 03, 2010, 04:42:24 pm »

Go read almost ANY car review with a car that does 0-60 in 8.5-8.7 seconds and see if they refer to it as fast, thrilling, exciting, etc...

My Echo does 0-60 in the same time as does my hybrid loaner...and neither of those are exciting in the least.  Instead, they are SLOW

You're missing the point too. It's not about what an individual calls the performance. It's respect for the opinion of others.

Having said that, Graem Fletcher wrote the following:

The Regal uses GM's 2.4-litre Ecotec engine. It's a state-of-the-art, direct-injected four that produces 182 horsepower and 172 pound-feet of torque at 4,900 rpm. Let's get one thing straight -- nobody is going to be bowled over by the motivation this engine delivers. However, it is more than adequate for just about any eventuality except drag racing. Tromp the gas and the Regal runs to 100 kilometres an hour in 8.6 seconds, which is faster than the likes of the Toyota Camry (by almost a full second!) and Honda Accord when they are equipped with a four-cylinder engine.

Read more: http://www.nationalpost.com/First+Drive+2011+Buick+Regal/3420389/story.html#ixzz11KXn1msq

And the Truth About Cars bunch wrote:

Partly to differentiate the Regal from the LaCrosse, Buick won’t offer the smaller sedan with a V6. The only engine currently available: a 182-horsepower direct-injected 2.4-liter. At 3,600 pounds, the new Regal could stand to lose a few (hundred), but the normally-aspirated four moves two tons (with driver and passenger) well enough in typical around town driving, and without making noises unbecoming a Buick. Most drivers won’t feel the need for more power.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/review-2011-buick-regal/

And Automobile Magazine:

A Buick? On the Nordschleife? As comical as that notion might be, the new Buick Regal was surprisingly good in this unlikeliest of environments, and I wasn't even driving the sportiest version. Body control, directional stability, brake pedal feedback, and steering feel were, if not to the level of the BMW 3-series, fully up to the job of very spirited laps, and the eighteen-inch Michelin Pilot MXM4 tires weren't overly tasked. Sure, I had to flog the modest, 182-hp, 2.4-liter direct-injected four-cylinder engine and furiously bang the six-speed automatic gearbox's lever up and down its manual shift gate between second and fourth gears, and the fastest speed I could summon on the long straight heading into Tiergarten, where serious racing cars approach 200 mph, was only 120 mph. But I had my best laps ever at the Nordschleife in this, my fourth visit. For that, I equally credit Winkelhock's intimate knowledge of the track - he is a two-time winner of the Nürburgring's twenty-four-hour race - and the Regal's impressive chassis composure.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1007_2011_buick_regal_cxl/index.html

It's an adequate base motor. Two more are coming for those who want more power. You'd think it was the end of the freaking world to hear some biatch and moan about it. And to me, performance is about more than 0-60 and 1/4 mile times.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 04:55:33 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 03, 2010, 04:52:58 pm »
I don't think anyone here, or in any other review thinks this is a BAD car.  It's actually quite good....just let down by the engine/tranny.

As I said...."Yes, it will be adequate for the AVERAGE driver...but most people buying sport sedans aren't looking for adequate, average performance."  Or are they? Am I wrong?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 04:56:07 pm by rrocket »

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 03, 2010, 04:59:30 pm »
I don't think anyone here, or in any other review thinks this is a BAD car.  It's actually quite good....just let down by the engine/tranny.

As I said...."Yes, it will be adequate for the AVERAGE driver...but most people buying sport sedans aren't looking for adequate, average performance."  Or are they? Am I wrong?

How many people bought 4 cylinder automatic TSXs? Or BMW 323i automatics, etc

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: October 03, 2010, 05:04:56 pm »

Both cars are faster than the Regal though. More HP and a little less weight.  Even so...the TSX was criticized for being slow too!!!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 05:07:16 pm by rrocket »

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #226 on: October 03, 2010, 05:13:49 pm »
Strange that you left all the positives out of your quote, rrocket.

They ended their test saying:

Even so, last year Buick astonishingly outsold Audi, Infiniti, and Lincoln in the U.S. To date, which includes no significant sales of the appealing Regal, Buick’s numbers are trending higher than all those, plus Acura. Surprising? You bet. Deserved? More than ever.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 03, 2010, 05:17:05 pm »

Both cars are faster than the Regal though. More HP and a little less weight.  Even so...the TSX was criticized for being slow too!!!

How much faster? Is it enough in the real world to make this type of car, in this class of car, really non-competitive?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 03, 2010, 05:18:40 pm »

Even so, last year Buick astonishingly outsold Audi, Infiniti, and Lincoln in the U.S. To date, which includes no significant sales of the appealing Regal, Buick’s numbers are trending higher than all those, plus Acura. Surprising? You bet. Deserved? More than ever.

But we already know the Regal is not selling as well as the TSX, a main competitior..  But I won't throw you under the bus for it.....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 03, 2010, 05:21:29 pm »

How much faster? Is it enough in the real world to make this type of car, in this class of car, really non-competitive?

At least with the TSX or the BMW you COULD get it with a stick if you need even more pep.  Will they end up offering a stick with the base engine in the Buick you think?

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 03, 2010, 05:26:05 pm »

At least with the TSX or the BMW you COULD get it with a stick if you need even more pep.  Will they end up offering a stick with the base engine in the Buick you think?

Why would that be important? Weren't you the one who told me I was full of s**t for complaining about the lack of manual transmissions in modern cars? :)

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 03, 2010, 05:26:49 pm »

But we already know the Regal is not selling as well as the TSX, a main competitior..  But I won't throw you under the bus for it.....

No surprise, considering that there aren't that many Regals available....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 03, 2010, 05:45:45 pm »

There appear to be plenty here.......must be a USA thing?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 03, 2010, 05:47:56 pm »

Why would that be important? Weren't you the one who told me I was full of s**t for complaining about the lack of manual transmissions in modern cars? :)

I don't think that was me.  But it would seem to be at least a bit of an issue in this case since the 6 speed tranny seems to be slow...something a manual would cure.

I have no problem with a lack of manuals as long as the auto box is a good one

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #234 on: October 03, 2010, 05:53:01 pm »

Its also fortunate since Buick makes little ,no profit or loses money on every Regal currently sold.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 03, 2010, 06:21:47 pm »

No, the TSX is within a tenth of a second in 0-60. The BMW is quicker by the better part of a second. The Volvo S40i is about a second slower and the C250 is marginally slower.

So where's the cut off? And who determines it?

I'd argue that everybody makes their own determination as to whether a car is quick enough or not.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 03, 2010, 06:25:11 pm »
^^I understand how, for someone like you who doesn't drive something sporty it may be adequate.

But I also recall in our conversations you said the IS250 felt slow...and it's almost a full second quicker to 60 than the Buick.

So what is it?  If the IS is slow...what does that make the Buick in your eyes?

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 03, 2010, 06:28:31 pm »

Its also fortunate since Buick makes little ,no profit or loses money on every Regal currently sold.

The Buick is built on the same line as the Insignia, the best selling mid-sized car in Europe (150-160k last year depending on source). Given that the differences between them are mostly bumper and light details, whether they make or loose money has to do more with currency fluctuations than anything else.

It also explains the limited number they are importing this year. They can make more money inside the Euro zone, than dealing with the exchange rate.
Next year, when production moves to Oshawa, cheaper models will be introduced (CX), and production won't be constrained.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 03, 2010, 06:31:22 pm »
^^I understand how, for someone like you who doesn't drive something sporty it may be adequate.

But I also recall in our conversations you said the IS250 felt slow...and it's almost a full second quicker to 60 than the Buick.

So what is it?  If the IS is slow...what does that make the Buick in your eyes?

Nope, the problem I had with the IS was mushy suspension, a number of squeaks and chirps from the dash and a clutch take-up that was much too high in the pedal travel to be smooth. I thought the power was Ok.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 03, 2010, 06:37:42 pm »
Yea..I was going to say it's a bit more than jut currency fluctuations.  As I understand it, the labour costs are more (particularly any skilled labour for the plants) along with shipping costs AND currency fluctuations.

Things should be better once the car is made here, providing they can keep up the same quality, which shouldn't be a problem.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 06:41:55 pm by rrocket »