Author Topic: Test Drive: 2011 Buick Regal CXL  (Read 54289 times)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12396
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: Test Drive: 2011 Buick Regal CXL
« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2010, 01:34:51 pm »
I haven't driven the current TSX so I can't comment on how it compares, but if it offers no more driving enjoyment than this lifeless slug of a Buick, then it's certainly no sports sedan either.  I do recall there being much criticism levelled at the introduction of the current TSX - increased size / weight, less responsive steering etc. - as compared with the model it replaced.  THAT car was a hoot to drive even if it wasn't a sprint champ.  Quick, agile and a superb manual shifter all made for an entertaining and sporty sedan.  None of those descriptions would I apply to this 4-wheel double dose of valium pretending to be a sports sedan.

At least in the current TSX you can still get a manual transmission, right?  If it came down to choosing between the lesser of two evils, that alone would have me picking the TSX over the Buick.  The Regal isn't merely saddled with a less involving atuomatic.  It is nearly crippled by a "mileage-oriented" killjoy of a slushbox that wants to upshift yesterday and doesn't want to downshift unless your right foot is mashed ALL the way down.  The combination of anemic motor, more-pork-please weight and your prissy 3rd grade shool teacher for a transmission take this car WELL outside the sports sedan arena.

And since this thread isn't about the TSX, the Hyundai Genesis, Sonata or any vehicle which seems ripe for diversionary potshots, let me conclude by saying that this aspect of the review is absolutely 100% SPOT ON:

Quote from: CD Review Buick Regal
Unfortunately, the base Regal is let down by its pedestrian powertrain. The engine’s power is only adequate, and while there’s nothing wrong with a car not having the most powerful motor in its class, you’d at least hope for one willing to go all out when pressed. Instead, the 2.4-litre four-cylinder never sounds happy about being run out to its 6,500 rpm redline.  Compounding that is the slow-witted nature of this automatic transmission, which also feels completely uninterested in making the Regal go fast. It’s hesitant to downshift when acceleration is called for, and in my car, felt indecisive about the right time to upshift in many situations (which is not something I’ve noticed in other GM cars with this transmission). To be clear, it’s not that the powertrain is poor; it’s simply underwhelming and has no business in a car being marketed as a sport sedan.

Hey, the truth only hurts when it's true.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2010, 01:43:01 pm »

So the base Regal is as quick to 60 as the TSX automatic, yet handles much better. Funny I don't remember all the wailing and gnashing of teeth when the TSX was introduced.

I do.  If you're referring to the restyled version.....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2010, 01:50:50 pm »
Funny I don't remember all the wailing and gnashing of teeth when the TSX was introduced.

Well, of course not. The Buick is a GM product and the TSX is Asian. Totally different rules and standards apply around these parts just due to that.
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2010, 01:58:51 pm »

Hey, the truth only hurts when it's true.

Jaeger

Geez, man! This must be the post of the day/month/year/decade....
Do you really think anyone here is "hurting"?  :rofl:

BTW: How would the manual tranny help with the TSX's handling shortcomings? Just curious...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 02:00:30 pm by carcrazy »

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2010, 01:59:51 pm »
Well, of course not. The Buick is a GM product and the TSX is Asian. Totally different rules and standards apply around these parts just due to that.

Erik is 100% correct.  Here's one of about 3 or so comments that are similar to this from a 2010 Review

I loved the 1st Generation TSx.

This thing with the V6 is a big fat fail.....I just on't understand the positioing. Is the TSx a "sports sedan" if so why fdoes it have FWD no manual option? Is it sport luxury if so its makes no sense to pay the same forit as the TL.

That said, the Acura thread garnered 29 comments vs. this one getting over 80.  We seemed to let Acura "off the hook"...yet not Buick for producing a similar car?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2010, 02:15:21 pm »
^^More people on this board drove the new Buick too...and those that didn't drove down to the lot to look at one.  So I'd guess that accounts for a few more comments.

And..at least as many comment here are from the slappies for the Regal.  So it's get it's fair share of Pro comments.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #86 on: September 24, 2010, 02:16:08 pm »
So the base Regal is as quick to 60 as the TSX automatic, yet handles much better. Funny I don't remember all the wailing and gnashing of teeth when the TSX was introduced.

I do.  If you're referring to the restyled version.....

I do, too.

^^More people on this board drove the new Buick too...and those that didn't drove down to the lot to look at one.  So I'd guess that accounts for a few more comments.
And..at least as many comment here are from the slappies for the Regal.  So it's get it's fair share of Pro comments.

Stop trying to let reality intrude upon a good rant, will you?

Jaeger
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 02:18:30 pm by Jaeger »

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #87 on: September 24, 2010, 02:21:41 pm »
There were comments about the TSX styling, but nowhere near the bellyaching and whining over the power output.

The Regal has much more composed handling than the base TSX at least. Better steering too even though the Buick's is a bit numb.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 02:24:07 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2010, 02:27:26 pm »
This part of the review is spot on:

The Regal uses GM's 2.4-litre Ecotec engine. It's a state-of-the-art, direct-injected four that produces 182 horsepower and 172 pound-feet of torque at 4,900 rpm. Let's get one thing straight -- nobody is going to be bowled over by the motivation this engine delivers. However, it is more than adequate for just about any eventuality except drag racing. Tromp the gas and the Regal runs to 100 kilometres an hour in 8.6 seconds, which is faster than the likes of the Toyota Camry (by almost a full second!) and Honda Accord when they are equipped with a four-cylinder engine.

Part of the reason the Regal feels alive is its six-speed manumatic tranny. The first five gears are such that the engine stays in the heart of the power-band as the Regal is accelerated to speed. Once cruising, sixth gear looks after fuel economy and keeps the engine's noise at a discreet level. The combination works very nicely -- the weeklong average fuel economy of 10.1 litres per 100 kilometres speaks volumes. There's also a manual gate, although it saw little use as the box is best left to its own devices.

Read more: http://www.nationalpost.com/First+Drive+2011+Buick+Regal/3420389/story.html#ixzz10TNdr1zQ
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 02:29:18 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2010, 02:31:03 pm »
FYI:

A short review of the car the $35K Regal 2.0T should be:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/Vauxhall-Insignia-2.0T-SRi/235202/

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2010, 02:32:38 pm »

Are we reading the same thread???

Offline TopGun

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +43/-165
  • Carbon fibre > Soft touch dash material
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 24, 2010, 02:38:10 pm »

Are we on the same forum?

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 24, 2010, 02:45:19 pm »

Are we on the same forum?

Have we had a Regal slappy here? I mean, Sir O has been holding the sensible middle ground, but I have yet to see a big fan show up.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #93 on: September 24, 2010, 03:31:12 pm »
Funny I don't remember all the wailing and gnashing of teeth when the TSX was introduced.
i don't remember...that article is 2.5 years old...so what you are saying is the Brand New 2011 Buick is equally as mediocre as the Acura TSX that launched almost 3 years ago?

that's progress. ;D
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

CatsEye68

« Reply #94 on: September 24, 2010, 03:40:25 pm »
What makes you say the TSX 2.4L shouldn't be marketed as a sports sedan?

You asked, I answered. Now you tell me why it should be. For starters, it's big (bloated), 200 hp doesn't make it any faster than most family sedans, it doesn't handle much better than those either, there is nothing special about the chassis, so why?

Funny. It's lighter than the Regal I4, has a free-revving engine that produces more power and it generally regarded as a very good handling FWD sedan. Just do a google search for TSX Sports sedan... you'll get a bunch of reviews that contain those words.

The reason for that is that they also contain the magic word you left out: Honda.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #95 on: September 24, 2010, 03:44:47 pm »
FYI:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/Vauxhall-Insignia-2.0T-SRi/235202/
FWIW, that article quotes a 7.2 second 0-60 time...that is marginally better than the NA Sonata (which is about 7.5 seconds)...the Sonata Turbo is expected to be about 6.5 seconds for the 0-60.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #96 on: September 24, 2010, 03:50:55 pm »

Erik is 100% correct.  Here's one of about 3 or so comments that are similar to this from a 2010 Review

I loved the 1st Generation TSx.

This thing with the V6 is a big fat fail.....I just on't understand the positioing. Is the TSx a "sports sedan" if so why fdoes it have FWD no manual option? Is it sport luxury if so its makes no sense to pay the same forit as the TL.

That said, the Acura thread garnered 29 comments vs. this one getting over 80.  We seemed to let Acura "off the hook"...yet not Buick for producing a similar car?

Well since I was quoted I guess I can respond here.

The TSX was an UPDATE of the exisiting TSX model. (One that was widley panned as making it bloated, heavier and taking away some of the fun of the first generation)

The Regal is a NEW model. One that is supposed ot change the Buick image with its "sportiness. Its not remotley the same thing as the TSX.  When you bring a BRAND new platform to the market the expectation that will be "better" than the competion becuase ..its well new. The manufacturer of the new vehicle has had 2 3 or more years to see the competion so they can come out with something to top them. If you have had 3 years to see that the competion all has over 200 HP how is coming out with the 182 HP Ecotech engine a smart thing? Why start behind?

I've been very critical of the new TSX. I looked seriously at the 1st Generation but wouldn't even consider the current one.

The Regal Turbo is not available yet. All the tests have been of overseas spec or not final production spec. We all know how much things can change from pre production. We are discussing the current regal the Buiick chose to launch and is available. Anything else is just guesswork.

When the turbo comes out it will be tested and I'll evaluate it vs the competion at that time. Buick chose to realse the base model well in advance and to subject it to months of comparison before the Turbo hits the streets.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 24, 2010, 04:14:42 pm »
The TSX was an UPDATE of the exisiting TSX model. (One that was widley panned as making it bloated, heavier and taking away some of the fun of the first generation)

Aparently those in the grips of a severe domestic persecution complex don't ever see anything negative written about an import brand.  Ever.  Nope - only domestic products are criticized.  ::)

The Regal is a NEW model. One that is supposed ot change the Buick image with its "sportiness. Its not remotley the same thing as the TSX.  When you bring a BRAND new platform to the market the expectation that will be "better" than the competion becuase ..its well new. The manufacturer of the new vehicle has had 2 3 or more years to see the competion so they can come out with something to top them. If you have had 3 years to see that the competion all has over 200 HP how is coming out with the 182 HP Ecotech engine a smart thing? Why start behind?

Agreed.  That was a stupid move.

We are discussing the current regal the Buiick chose to launch and is available. Anything else is just guesswork.

C'mon - it's not hard to figure out why the apologists keep crying "I don't understand why people won't focus on the Turbo!" is it?

Jaeger

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 24, 2010, 04:19:43 pm »
FYI:

FWIW, that article quotes a 7.2 second 0-60 time...that is marginally better than the NA Sonata (which is about 7.5 seconds)...the Sonata Turbo is expected to be about 6.5 seconds for the 0-60.

And your point is?.... 7.5 sec is even better than some 3 Series models, MB, Audi. Does it mean that the Sonata is sportier than those cars too?

0-60 time means very little once it is reasonable enough for the purpose of the vehicle. I did not post the link for the 0-60 mph time, but for the overall review of the car.
Some magazines posted 0-60 mph times below 7sec for the RAV4 Sport V6. Does that entitle the RAV4 to claim to be a sports car?

CatsEye68

« Reply #99 on: September 24, 2010, 04:27:18 pm »
the Sonata Turbo is expected to be about 6.5 seconds for the 0-60.

Well that settles it then... if the Buick cannot beat the conjectured a 0-60 time for a model that hasn't been introduced yet and is in a different category, they might as well pack it all in right now. ::)