Author Topic: Test Drive: 2011 Buick Regal CXL  (Read 54281 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2011 Buick Regal CXL
« on: September 22, 2010, 04:07:18 am »

As expected, the North American version of the European Opel Insignia offers "a firm-but-comfortable ride and handling that surprises," reports Chris Chase.  But the base powertrain - a 2.4-litre four-cylinder and six-speed automatic - is "simply underwhelming," he notes.

Read More...

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
Re: Test Drive: 2011 Buick Regal CXL
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 07:36:17 am »
To be clear, it’s not that the powertrain is poor; it’s simply underwhelming and has no business in a car being marketed as a sport sedan

Another domestic hater...how dare a journalist who has actually driven the car call it anything but accepatble or adequate.

What is unreasonable is Buick’s expectation that the base model will be taken seriously by anyone in the market for a sporty car.

But but but the Turbo is coming......Buick marketing couldn't have possibly made a mistake by instiducing the top model Turbo AFTER the undewhelming base model..could they?

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 07:46:14 am »
GM never cared what others thought. That was then - and this is now. Gee, GM you still don't get it.

Is it possible that building to a price meant compromise? Or maybe to meet certain overall corporate mpg it dictated this model? Either way the appeal certainly goes south here and nice that Chase is honest in pointing it out.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 08:06:50 am »
To be clear, it’s not that the powertrain is poor; it’s simply underwhelming and has no business in a car being marketed as a sport sedan

Another domestic hater...how dare a journalist who has actually driven the car call it anything but accepatble or adequate.

What is unreasonable is Buick’s expectation that the base model will be taken seriously by anyone in the market for a sporty car.

But but but the Turbo is coming......Buick marketing couldn't have possibly made a mistake by instiducing the top model Turbo AFTER the undewhelming base model..could they?

I think you've just saved us all about 20 pages of discussion! Great job!  ;D

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 08:08:45 am »
A very good review

Maybe the base engine is best suited for China where I saw the car last year.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/4193928685/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/4194683506/

Offline Neromanceres

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +26/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Volt, 2013 Sonic, Former 2013 Volt
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 09:06:55 am »
I will agree that the 2.4L engine certainly does not qualify as a sporty engine.  And that GM's marketing is overblowing the sport aspect of the base car.  The 2.0L turbo is a fantastic option in this car and it drives completely different.

The one thing I didn't like in this review is how the Regal was compared to cars that cost tens of thousands of dollars more when the intent of this vehicle was to compete with Acura and Lexus and not BMW and MB.  I find it intresting that people tend to focus and criticize the advertising more than the car itself.  There are plenty of examples of sporty cars that have base model options that are not so sporty.  What is wrong with giving customers options?

Also when the production is moved to Oshawa next year there will be more North Amercian spec changes to the vehicle (including transmission and interior) and many more vehicle options.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12396
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 09:34:01 am »

I'm just waiting for catgirl to pop up and accuse me of writing the article using a fictitious name.  :rofl: Underwhelming engine.... can't be taken seriosuly as a sports sedan.... I dunno.... sounds...... familiar.........

Okay, I admit it - it's all part of a massive conspiracy.  :)

I will now depart and leave this to those who still find this vehicle worthy of discussion. 

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 10:50:17 am »
I'd be willing to test drive the Regal once the turbo model comes out. Anyone know when that is? All I hear is "Fall 2010" which could mean now.........or November...........
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Joshua R.

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 11:18:40 am »
Funny how the same drivetrain can be had in the Chevy Malibu and the now defunct Saturn Aura, and were found to be more than adequate in those cars.

Offline Neromanceres

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +26/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Volt, 2013 Sonic, Former 2013 Volt
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 12:06:04 pm »
Funny how the same drivetrain can be had in the Chevy Malibu and the now defunct Saturn Aura, and were found to be more than adequate in those cars.

Actually the engine in this car is a more powerfull direct injected verson of the engine used in the Malibu and Aura.

Vanstar

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 12:29:33 pm »
As an aside, I am wondering if GM has any plans to include an dash mounted oxygen tank connection with remote tank storage in the trunk? Seems a wise marketing move for Buick and its customers. Further, any review of a Buick really should include ease of walker and wheel chair stowage, ingress and egress.

aknutson

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 12:42:38 pm »

Your comparison is out of context, the Malibu and Aura aren't billed as upscale 3-series fighters, they are family sedans. The same engine can be (and is) acceptable in an affordable family sedan but is seen as inadequate when $10K is added onto the price and marketing tends towards upscale sportiness, case in point the Regal. The turbo will change everything.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 01:10:26 pm »

Funny how many find that same powertain inadequate and the car burdened when its used in the Lecrosse. Its all about context.

Take the engine from a Versa (which is termed more than adequate) and plunk it into a 370 Z and see what people think about it then.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2010, 01:21:38 pm »
The Malibu (3400lbs) is also 200 pounds lighter than the Regal I4 (3600ls)... not an insignificant difference. That might explain why the engine feels better in one car vs the other, but mostly, I think it's the expectations that differ. One expects a lot more from a car billed as a sports sedan as opposed to a run of the mill mid-size sedan.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 02:28:40 pm »
The Malibu (3400lbs) is also 200 pounds lighter than the Regal I4 (3600ls)... not an insignificant difference. That might explain why the engine feels better in one car vs the other, but mostly, I think it's the expectations that differ. One expects a lot more from a car billed as a sports sedan as opposed to a run of the mill mid-size sedan.

Couldn't agree more!  In the commercials it's billed as "sport injected" (?).  Even the placement of the commercials.  Watch Top Gear, I guarantee you'll see a Regal ad.  A show clearly aimed at enthusiasts.  Fine for a Malibu.  Not so fine for something that's aiming to be a little more upscale.
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson

Stewart Warner

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 03:27:58 pm »
Discounting the usual site biases, it sounds like a lovely car. 

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 07:06:39 pm »

Your comparison is out of context, the Malibu and Aura aren't billed as upscale 3-series fighters, they are family sedans. The same engine can be (and is) acceptable in an affordable family sedan but is seen as inadequate when $10K is added onto the price and marketing tends towards upscale sportiness, case in point the Regal. The turbo will change everything.

Do you want to point out where it was ever billed as a 3 series fighter?

As I've said before, it's an adequate engine nothing more, much like the Volvo S40 2.4i.

That its, or any, marketing is hyperbolic should not come as a surprise to anyone who has ever bought a car.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Truth be told

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 10:46:59 pm »
Nice article Chase, it certainly follows what most auto magazines have mentioned.
Just to recap on this Buick model;

1-Overpriced.
2-Slow.
3-Pokey transmission.
4-Flat cramped seating.
5-Brand Stigma.
6-Stiff ride (for Grampa's liking).
7-Smaller and narrower than other mid-size sedans.

You may place a turbo later and jack up the price even more, I am afraid it already missed the target by a mile.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 11:50:43 pm »
Would it have been better, that is to say given the model a better foothold in the market if they came out with the turbo motor first?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 12:12:24 am »
Would it have been better, that is to say given the model a better foothold in the market if they came out with the turbo motor first?

I've been of this opinion since the very start.

The first ever 6 speed manual Buick! Not your Dads buick! I think that the media likes to test the top model first. People get hyped about the Turbo if it gets great reviews and then when they go to the showroom and realize they can't afford it they still fell "Well it looks and handels like the Turbo.

Would ford ever introduce a new Mustang with a V6 and a promise the V8 will be along later? Do people buy a WRX becuase it looks like a base model with a scoop or do they buy a Base model becuase it looks a lot like a WRX?