Author Topic: First Drive: 2011 Subaru WRX & WRX STI  (Read 32680 times)

vdk

Re: First Drive: 2011 Subaru WRX & WRX STI
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2010, 01:37:56 pm »
Apologies for posting on an older thread but I am debating between the WRX or STI.  I don't think the Ltd is worth what you get on the WRX so the difference for me is the $5500 difference between the base WRX and STI.  DCCD, brake system, wheels, and +power worth it?  DCCD = more long-term maintenance headaches? 

Is the daily (non-track) driving experience of the STI better than a WRX?  I am thinking not.

In terms of price both are priced very well, but Subaru Canada gets it back in the interest rate.

Tough for the EVO MR to now compare in Canada being priced +$10k more than the STI.  The GSR is also priced equivalent to the top level STI.  Given both companies interest rates and the styling in and out for both are close to par for me, either EVO is looking very over priced on paper.

Read this. It will help you decide.

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2010/11/il-track-tested-2011-subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-sedan.html

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2010, 02:07:12 pm »
IMO get the WRX, the STi isn't really "worth" it anymore.

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2010, 02:14:27 pm »
Like Wing said - I think you're better off going with the base WRX. Unless you plan on racing it or something the base WRX is plenty fast on its own. They can also be modified relatively cheaply if you want a modest bump in power. $5k is a lot of money that could be better spent elsewhere IMO.

If you don't mind paying for warranty repairs up front and getting re-imbursed buy a used one out of the states and save yourself even more cash. Subaru Canada will cover US cars - although as mentioned you have to pay the dealer up front and then wait for a cheque from Subaru Canada.
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2010, 04:07:46 pm »
I'd go with the WRX as well - based on your commentary. Especially now with the STi body work.

And thats probably the best argument right there. They look pretty much identical now so really what are you giving up?

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2010, 04:14:27 pm »
I'd either go base WRX (or Premium from the US) or base STi.  The STi has some nice upgrades, and at $40K flat, it's pretty good value.  Yes, the WRX is better bang/buck, but the STi is pretty good too.

vdk

« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2010, 04:17:00 pm »
I'd go with the WRX as well - based on your commentary. Especially now with the STi body work.

And thats probably the best argument right there. They look pretty much identical now so really what are you giving up?

About $5k.

And 1.5mph in the slalom.

Offline Flinter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +44/-30
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 128i, 2017 Kia RIO EX, 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4WDGMC Sierra
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2010, 07:31:14 pm »
I'd either go base WRX (or Premium from the US) or base STi.  The STi has some nice upgrades, and at $40K flat, it's pretty good value.  Yes, the WRX is better bang/buck, but the STi is pretty good too.
Agreed. The WRX is the best bang for your buck but when you look at the extra goodies that the you get with the STi, (at least on paper) it's worth the extra $$.

Really comes down to a personal preferance. Both are awesome rides but if you are up adding some mods, the WRX probably makes the most sense.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2010, 08:06:23 pm »
I went with the WRX due to bang for the buck, and if I could have had the widebody like the 2011 has, it would have been a no brainer.

Another difference to remember is that the WRX has two open diffs while the STI does not.

Roy

« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2010, 08:39:28 am »

Another difference to remember is that the WRX has two open diffs while the STI does not.

That's the big one for me.  Aftermarket LSDs alone w/installation is about $5k right there.

This above blogs.insideline.com link shows some outlying info between the WRX and STI.  Most other reviews report 0.9g or slightly higher for the STI and high 0.8g for the WRX in the skid pad.  The 1/4 mile time and speed is also less than others have shown so far for the STI.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2010, 08:47:00 am »
It is not just 0-60 an 1/4 mile that the WRX appears to be faster at.  Look at Car and Drivers' Lightning Lap results.  The WRX is faster then the STI.  I hope they bring a 2011 STI to the track this year

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/original/application/0bdac1a2dd935c9bfe7b0c75bda77559.xls

As far as open diffs go, I kinda like it.  I am able to break my rear tire loose in the dry with stability control off and kick it sideways in the rain.  Can't wait for the snow.   Two open diffs could get an awd car stuck in deep deep snow though, but I doubt I will do that.

vdk

« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2010, 10:29:09 am »

That's the big one for me.  Aftermarket LSDs alone w/installation is about $5k right there.

This above blogs.insideline.com link shows some outlying info between the WRX and STI.  Most other reviews report 0.9g or slightly higher for the STI and high 0.8g for the WRX in the skid pad.  The 1/4 mile time and speed is also less than others have shown so far for the STI.

1/4 mile and skidpad numbers are dependent on grip and various other factors.

The STI and WRX Insideline had were tested in almost the same conditions at the same track.

Cross referencing is irrelevant.

Roy

« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2010, 11:19:48 am »

1/4 mile and skidpad numbers are dependent on grip and various other factors.

The STI and WRX Insideline had were tested in almost the same conditions at the same track.

Cross referencing is irrelevant.

Sorry - I didn't intend to cross-reference but reference other comparos/reviews between the STI and WRX that (I assume) would have the same conditions between the 2.  But I don't think the other reviews stated as much testing info as insideline and perhaps they were just spewing Subaru stats.  The insideline test does seem to offer the most info about the testing.

With (hst) tax and (subaru) financing on top of that, the $5500 difference becomes ~$6580 or about an extra $110/month over 60 months.

The WRX is definately winning out.  On a subjective level, I swore my next car would have built in NAV and for that I need the top of the line STI.  That's a lot of dough though to spend just to satsify that one desire. 

vdk

« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2010, 11:26:51 am »
The WRX is definately winning out.  On a subjective level, I swore my next car would have built in NAV and for that I need the top of the line STI.  That's a lot of dough though to spend just to satsify that one desire. 

I'm pretty sure it would be possible to fit the STI nav in the WRX. And it would cost you less than $7k.

Or you could get an aftermarket headunit with built-in nav, there are some good ones out there.

There is always a way. ;D

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2010, 12:13:33 pm »
I know that not everyone is into mods, but $2K of relatively simple mods will turn a WRX into an absolute beast and destroy any [stock] STi.......

Simple:

1) Turbo back exhaust

2) AP (Protune optional)

3) Swaybars and endlinks

4) Enjoy your monster!

And lose the warranty...

vdk

« Reply #74 on: November 12, 2010, 12:26:05 pm »
I know that not everyone is into mods, but $2K of relatively simple mods will turn a WRX into an absolute beast and destroy any [stock] STi.......

Simple:

1) Turbo back exhaust

2) AP (Protune optional)

3) Swaybars and endlinks

4) Enjoy your monster!

And lose the warranty...

I think the exhaust would be the only problem there..

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2010, 02:22:21 pm »
The exhaust wouldn't be.  But perhaps the tune.

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2010, 02:26:52 pm »
The exhaust wouldn't be.  But perhaps the tune.

Easily flashed no?

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2010, 02:28:23 pm »
Agree with most on here that the WRX is certainly better bang for the buck than the STI.  However, the STI definitely does have some advantages: LSD, superior tranny (weak point of WRX IMO), etc.

I went with a base model and am very happy with it.  As Vman mentioned, I'd only go Limited if you're importing from the US.  I don't think the Canadian package is worth it.  But to each his own.

Regarding NAV, I certainly would NOT purchase the OEM unit.  Nav systems have to be the worst example of consumer gouging car companies have.  I'm not suggesting you have to stick a Garmin on your windshield and have cords everywhere - get a nice new headunit (the stock subie ones are medicore at best) with integrated NAV and you'll be much better off.

Offline dave

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +23/-116
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mercedes AMG E63s Wagon, 2021 VW Atlas R-Line
« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2010, 03:23:25 pm »
We both put our money where our mouths were.

...and where were your mouths beanie-boys?

"I'm eating a sandwich and this guys eating a...."

Ditso Ritter

Offline Zombie

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-1
  • Brainszzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2011, 02:09:55 pm »

Simple:

1) Turbo back exhaust

2) AP (Protune optional)

3) Swaybars and endlinks

4) Enjoy your monster!

Actually the cat back exhaust isn't necessary for most of the hp gains. Sure you need a freer flowing cat (down pipe + cat back = turbo back) to go stage 2 but upgrading from the stock exhaust actually only gets a few more horses. By the time the exhausted air hits the cat back it has cooled down enough to not cause too much back pressure. The upgraded exhaust mostly just adds the nice sounding boxer rumble and most stage 2 maps only require a upgraded down pipe and not the full exhaust. So what is my point...... that 2k in upgrades (its is actually more like 2.5K) cost about $700 less since the cat back is the most costly of the part listed above.

Now that being said I like that sound and have a cat back installed but I got it on sale and installed it myself.
:)
Next up is the Swaybars and endlinks and or a used VF52.
In a world where the dead are returning to life, the word "trouble" loses much of its meaning.