Author Topic: First Drive: 2011 Subaru WRX & WRX STI  (Read 32672 times)

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-2
    • View Profile
Re: First Drive: 2011 Subaru WRX & WRX STI
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2010, 07:34:44 pm »
LOL. Exterior meh I don't look at my car's outside much right? It's the interior. I'd have gotten a WRX if it had a nicer interior and maybe a 6 speed. But when I sat in it I just know the 1 hour a day I spend in my car's going to be a bit well feeling like I am in a much older car. The styling inside is just a bit corolla, the steering wheel's right out of the fuji parts bin eh?

Offline DockMan

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2010, 07:44:27 pm »
the steering wheel's right out of the fuji parts bin eh?

That is one of my favourite bits!
Political extremism involves two prime ingredients: an excessively simple diagnosis of the world's ills, and a conviction that there are identifiable villains back of it all. - John W. Gardner

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2010, 07:53:45 pm »
The STi has come down in price enough that it seems like the mechanical bits are now "WRX Option Package STi" instead of being a separate model.

Yes, it was the "WRX STi" but the large price gap really made it not part of the WRX family.  Today, it is.

There is:

WRX
WRX-Limited
WRX-STi

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2010, 08:07:03 pm »
everyone raves about these cars, but i just don't get it...sure, 265HP (with generous torque) is nice, but it sounds like it does suffer a little turbo lag under 2500 RPMs (pretty much unnecessary with today's advanaced turbocharging systems), and the cars look 50% sporty, 50% Corolla...it reminds me of the "kids" who buy a civic/corolla, slaps on a spoiler, a fart pipe, an aero kit and rims and think they drive an F1 race car...i've never driven one, so maybe that's the thing there, but i don't even find the interior to be all that "nice" looking.

it reminds me of a review i read about the Mits EVO X...at $50k, it has a heck of a drivetrain...too bad the inside is still an $18k Lancer.

at $40k for a well equipped model, i would rather get a nice C-Class Merc...i know, the WRX and STi will run circles around it, but the Merc simply looks better inside and out...personally, i'd rather have a car i can live with, than one i have to "hide" in.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2010, 08:20:51 pm »
everyone raves about these cars, but i just don't get it...

Of course you don't get it...that's why you drive a Focus and a Taurus......
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2010, 08:34:49 pm »
CONGRADULATIONS SUBARU ON A JOB SO WELL DONE YOU DESERVE HIGH PRAISE INDEED !!

you have done an outstanding job on your suspension work /wheel tire package on both cars
i am very impressed the care you took to turn out to such great handling cars this time around , ,particularly the sti , to have auto jornalists compare it to porsches in handling for a fraction of the cost
i wish all car makers could do the same

well done subaru , well done indeed

Offline Flinter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +44/-30
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 128i, 2017 Kia RIO EX, 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4WDGMC Sierra
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2010, 08:56:37 pm »
LOL. Exterior meh I don't look at my car's outside much right? It's the interior. I'd have gotten a WRX if it had a nicer interior and maybe a 6 speed. But when I sat in it I just know the 1 hour a day I spend in my car's going to be a bit well feeling like I am in a much older car. The styling inside is just a bit corolla, the steering wheel's right out of the fuji parts bin eh?
In the 2 years I had a WRX I didn't really miss the absence of a 6 speed. Subaru did a good job with the ratios on the 5 speed and in 5th it turns over ~2500rpm @100Km/hr which I believe is the same as the GTI in 6th gear.

Offline Threader

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +13/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 STI, 2012 Caravan
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2010, 09:41:28 pm »
at $40k for a well equipped model, i would rather get a nice C-Class Merc...i know, the WRX and STi will run circles around it, but the Merc simply looks better inside and out...personally, i'd rather have a car i can live with, than one i have to "hide" in.

Step up to a C-Class AMG starting at $65000 then we'll meet up and see how much you enjoy the interior and badge. A regular c-class is laughable. In most other countries it's a run of the mill taxi cab.  ;)
2008 Subaru STI Performance Build Story

http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php/topic,80495.0.html

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2010, 09:56:37 pm »

Step up to a C-Class AMG starting at $65000 then we'll meet up and see how much you enjoy the interior and badge. A regular c-class is laughable. In most other countries it's a run of the mill taxi cab.  ;)

Leave the price sticker on the window of that C-class, and have all the option painted in BOLD on the exterior of the car. .... Wait, forget the optional equipment list, it is rather embarrassing next to even the mighty Hyundai Accent, just cover the car with MERC logos.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2010, 09:57:44 pm »
A price reduction should lower the prices of previous enjoyed units as well.

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2010, 10:16:02 pm »
In the 2 years I had a WRX I didn't really miss the absence of a 6 speed. Subaru did a good job with the ratios on the 5 speed and in 5th it turns over ~2500rpm @100Km/hr which I believe is the same as the GTI in 6th gear.

Think the GTI in 6th at 100 kph is more than 2500. According to consumer report 60 mph it already is at 3k rpm. So should be around 3k for 100 and 3500 for 120. I think GTI owners will be able to say for sure.

But anyhow just saying a good car, add a better interior and it would be a great car. The lack of a 6th gear is all marketing. They want people to pay for a STI if they can instead of buying the WRX and saving some bucks.

vdk

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2010, 01:16:31 am »
When we buy a car we all make a decision based on a number of factors. The weight these factors have on your final decision change from person to person, that's why we end up in (a couple of) different cars.

Now don't :censor: on someone else's experience, we all buy cars for different reasons.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2010, 09:02:41 am »

Think the GTI in 6th at 100 kph is more than 2500. According to consumer report 60 mph it already is at 3k rpm. So should be around 3k for 100 and 3500 for 120. I think GTI owners will be able to say for sure.

But anyhow just saying a good car, add a better interior and it would be a great car. The lack of a 6th gear is all marketing. They want people to pay for a STI if they can instead of buying the WRX and saving some bucks.

My RX-8 had a 6 speed and buzzed along the highway over 4000rpm at 120KM/H.   I miss that sound  :(

aknutson

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2010, 09:27:17 am »
everyone raves about these cars, but i just don't get it...

Of course you don't get it...that's why you drive a Focus and a Taurus......

What's with the judging of everyone's cars? Get over yourself and start replying to people's comments, not what they own.

aknutson

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2010, 09:28:53 am »
When we buy a car we all make a decision based on a number of factors. The weight these factors have on your final decision change from person to person, that's why we end up in (a couple of) different cars.

Now don't :censor: on someone else's experience, we all buy cars for different reasons.

:iagree:

aknutson

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2010, 09:32:14 am »

Leave the price sticker on the window of that C-class, and have all the option painted in BOLD on the exterior of the car. .... Wait, forget the optional equipment list, it is rather embarrassing next to even the mighty Hyundai Accent, just cover the car with MERC logos.

Hyundai and Kia have made a name for themselves by offering massive equipment levels in base model vehicles, but it's the way a car drives that's the real meat and potatoes. Drive a new C230 then hop into a Kia, and you'll see where the money went. Not saying all these primo cars are worth every penny their logos command, but at the same time Mercedes spends a million dollars every day on R&D, that's gotta go somewhere other than union fees and coffee breaks.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2010, 09:42:38 am »

Hyundai and Kia have made a name for themselves by offering massive equipment levels in base model vehicles, but it's the way a car drives that's the real meat and potatoes. Drive a new C230 then hop into a Kia, and you'll see where the money went. Not saying all these primo cars are worth every penny their logos command, but at the same time Mercedes spends a million dollars every day on R&D, that's gotta go somewhere other than union fees and coffee breaks.

I'm not disagreeing with your overall thought... but I'm pretty sure every single carmaker out there spends more than a million dollars every day on R&D, and that includes Hyundai/Kia. Besides, one could argue that Hyundai is pushing the technology envelope more than Mercedes these days, with their upcoming hybrids.

Mobilicity

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2010, 10:02:38 am »
Still would rather have a Mitsubishi Evo.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2010, 10:05:54 am »

I actually thought I'd want 6 speeds as well, but in truth, I haven't noticed it to be a problem at all.  With most of the 'fun' being in 3000rpm+ range, I never get above 3rd in most driving.  4th is used for shorter trips down the expressway or a higher speed country road.  And 5th is nicely geared for longer highway cruising.

Regarding interior quality/exterior styling, the WRX does not 'ace' either of those criteria.  The GTI would be a much better choice...or even a stripper 323i.  I don't think it's terrible in either regard, but it's not great either.  You won't be happy with the WRX if those are your top priorities.

If you're looking for a sporty, capable, all-weather vehicle, you will be more than happy.  Subaru reliability doesn't hurt either (minus the issues they had with a small group of 09 model engines).

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2010, 10:58:20 am »
everyone raves about these cars, but i just don't get it...sure, 265HP (with generous torque) is nice, but it sounds like it does suffer a little turbo lag under 2500 RPMs (pretty much unnecessary with today's advanaced turbocharging systems), and the cars look 50% sporty, 50% Corolla...it reminds me of the "kids" who buy a civic/corolla, slaps on a spoiler, a fart pipe, an aero kit and rims and think they drive an F1 race car...i've never driven one, so maybe that's the thing there, but i don't even find the interior to be all that "nice" looking.

it reminds me of a review i read about the Mits EVO X...at $50k, it has a heck of a drivetrain...too bad the inside is still an $18k Lancer.

I agree with you to a point.  After I sold my 08 GTI I bought a 2010 WRX.  I loved the huge power it had and during the test drive I really got taken in by it.  After 6 months of owning the car I sold it. Got used to the power but the rest of the car was lacking in my opinion.  Transmission, handling, steering feel, interior were all lacking.  I'd love to try the new STI to see how much difference the suspension changes have made...

On another note the reason prices are lower is because Subaru has taken away a bunch of equipment from the base model.