Author Topic: Some SOB keyed my car  (Read 2648 times)

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-2
    • View Profile
Some SOB keyed my car
« on: September 19, 2010, 12:17:10 am »
So I stopped by the mall at West Beaver Creek and 7 where the wasabi is  (this is markham, ON). I came back from my hair cut and someone had keyed my hatch right by the mazda badge. It's 3 inch and it's white so it's down to the primer. This car's 2 weeks old with about 500 km on it

WTF is wrong with people in this city? I wish I had saw who did it cause I'd have given them something to think about.

I don't get what motivate people to need to do something like this. Doesn't make any sense at all.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
Re: Some SOB keyed my car
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 02:24:38 am »
Very sorry to heard that. It is sickening there are such low life scrum bags.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 07:47:06 am »
I used to go there often at lunchtime ( to Big Mouth Kee) and thought that it was one of the more civilized malls around there... obviously not.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

UmroAyyar

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 08:07:13 am »
There are some sick in the head like this. I feel for ya. Happened to my car on both sides.

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 08:58:14 am »
I had the Sentra for a barely a month before someone keyed the door AND rear quarter panel.  $1,000 later.... :P   

Fortune favours the bold!

CatsEye68

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 09:13:00 am »
Maybe it is a laid-off CAW member who targets Asian imports. :o

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 09:24:31 am »
WTF is wrong with people in this city?

Not just there; anywhere really.

I don't get what motivate people to need to do something like this.

They have way too much time on their unproductive hands and in their sorry lives. I'd take people like that and send them out to do mine sweeping without any detection equipment...or send them to Afghansitan to do the dirty jobs where chances are, its a one-way trip.
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 11:02:44 am »
I had the Sentra for a barely a month before someone keyed the door AND rear quarter panel.  $1,000 later.... :P   

Same thing happened to me last summer. Keyed all the way down the passenger side (front quarter panel, both doors, and rear quarter panel), and the hood.

More than $2000 in damages.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I think some people are just envious of new things.

Offline MD1987

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Lexus ES350
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 01:07:09 pm »
Some jerkoff also keyed my Altima twice a few months ago. Sure it's an old one with rust and dings on it, but the act of it happening on anyone's posession is just wrong!

Sorry to hear it happened to another person, especially on a mint brand new car. As much as this question may sound stupid but will you claim it or pay out of pocket?

UmroAyyar

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 01:31:42 pm »
There's optional insurance available for these kind of things. Its covered under Hit and Run. Usually costs about $50 a year. I can't remember the title of the endorsement.

On a new car, a must have.

Offline PlanB

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +4/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Forester 2.5, 2006 Impreza 2.5, 2008 Honda VFR 800Fi
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 02:15:01 pm »

They have way too much time on their unproductive hands and in their sorry lives. I'd take people like that and send them out to do mine sweeping without any detection equipment...or send them to Afghansitan to do the dirty jobs where chances are, its a one-way trip.

I do not believe it has anything to do with having too much time on their hands.  People who do this type of thing were not raised to respect either people or their property - plain and simple.  I can pretty much guarantee you that whomever did this, it was not their first time and they likely will do it again and again.

Anyway, sorry to the OP - that really sucks.  Look at the scratch closely, even with a magnifying glass if you need to - sometimes the clearcoat will turn white with a scratch and it does not necessarily mean it is down to the primer (it could though).  I can relate, the first time I took my new car to work it was scratched with a 20cm gouge on the passenger door. 

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 06:01:13 pm »
Seems like it doesn't matter what car you have. Even an older car with rust is targeted? Wow these people must have nothing in their life worth living for or something like that.

I'll have to check with my insurance about coverage. I just want it fixed quickly at this point. And maybe shoul start thinking along the line of how sad someone's life must be to key a car.

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 06:53:42 pm »
There's optional insurance available for these kind of things. Its covered under Hit and Run. Usually costs about $50 a year. I can't remember the title of the endorsement.

Vandalism is covered under my Comprehensive insurance. I was still on the hook for the deductible, though. Sucks.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 07:48:08 pm »
I do not believe it has anything to do with having too much time on their hands.

Too much time on their hands is another way of saying that they have nothing better to do.

People who do this type of thing were not raised to respect either people or their property - plain and simple.  I can pretty much guarantee you that whomever did this, it was not their first time and they likely will do it again and again.

Thats because anyone can breed...no licence required.

I would not have an issue with making them an example for all to see...target practice for example. I guess you can tell I'm not a bleeding heart type.

I feel for anyone having to put up with what those inbreds did, especially to a new car.

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 09:48:47 pm »

Vandalism is covered under my Comprehensive insurance. I was still on the hook for the deductible, though. Sucks.

Sigh. well you know when I was at Queen's that'd happen to people who parents got them nice cars. Really did suck. I seriously hope it wasn't a student at the University there. That would make me feel pretty bad.

I guess I'll have it fixed myself. I don't think it'll be more than the deductible and I just want it covered so it doesn't rust, it is a mazda after all.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2010, 10:29:59 pm »
Bummer.   Any video cameras at that Beaver Creek mall?

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 12:08:56 am »
Bummer.   Any video cameras at that Beaver Creek mall?

I looked around. I didn't see any. Even if they do the only way you'll catch someone is if they show their own car and licence plate or they are already known to police. I can go back sometime to see if they have video cameras...

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 11:34:16 am »
Ok so here's the situation. Chinese shop says 300 to fix and they will repaint the whole door (i hope they can be trusted).

The dealer's recommended shop says 600 something to fix.

My deductible is 300. So which way should I go? The insurance claim if I do it at the dealer will mean a free rental and I do sort of need a car.

Or 3rd choice is to simply just ignore it and keep the touch up painted look. Only worry is would that be a problem rust wise?

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 11:51:30 am »
I found some surface rust on the lip of the doors on the MPV and went to see if Mazda would cover it, since this is appearantly a common problem.  No penetration = no coverage.

Anywhoo the point is Carstar (who initially suggested I try Mazda) suggested it would be ~$400 A DOOR to grind and repaint a 1" strip of metal ~2' long.  The Mazda dealer was kind enough to get a quote from their body shop and quoted over $500 A DOOR. 

Putting this into perspective, as I mentioned earlier - the Sentra had two (high visibility) full panels repainted by the dealer - including dismantling the doorhandles, bumpers, trim etc etc etc caus no-one tapes, for ~$1,000.

So:  Two big brand name shops want a thousand bucks on the Mazda to grind and respray a comparatively small area and something not immediately visible; compared to a thousand bucks for two full body panels.

I got a quote from a local, recommended body shop in the west end - both doors $400 TOTAL on the Mazda.

Moral to the story - big name bodyshops will plunder the uninformed. 

Just comes down to who you got the recommendation from for the other bodyshop....but it sounds like you are going insurance for the loaner.

Offline gotak

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 12:25:16 pm »
Well actually the chinese place is recommended by a friend. So I think i'll go that way and just borrow my sister's car for a couple days for work.