Author Topic: Most forward thinking hybrid?  (Read 4038 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Most forward thinking hybrid?
« on: September 15, 2010, 12:25:24 am »
The new Hyundai Sonata hybrid got me thinking today, what is the most forward thinking hybrid on the market today, or in the next couple of years?

If I was to buy one I wouldn't want one that is compromised to appeal to the general public (i.e. shaped like a current model, therefore good looking but maybe not as efficient as it could be), I would want something that had been thoroughly redesigned as a fuel efficient car from the ground up.  So for those that know more than me on this, please enlighten me!

Also I don't understand why so called "car" people or petrolheads/gearheads rag on hybrids, most electric cars can complete the majority of people's commutes, and if you need to go further, use a different car.  You don't buy a small lightweight electric car for 1000km roadtrips.

The way I figure it, the more sensible green car I can drive on my 10 minute commute every day, the more ridiculous car I can keep in the garage for weekends.  ;D ;D ;D

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: Most forward thinking hybrid?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 12:32:08 am »
Right now it would have to be the Prius. Built from the round up for efficiency.

At the risk of starting something, the Volt, on paper at least, supersedes it. The ability to function normally on electric power alone is a step forward. On a short commute like yours, you'd rarely have to fuel it. That is, if you remember to plug it in.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 12:35:30 am »
Right now it would have to be the Prius. Built from the round up for efficiency.

At the risk of starting something, the Volt, on paper at least, supersedes it. The ability to function normally on electric power alone is a step forward. On a short commute like yours, you'd rarely have to fuel it. That is, if you remember to plug it in.

If the Volt wasn't so expensive I would definitely consider it, but $40K buys a whole lotta petrol power!

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 12:42:41 am »

If the Volt wasn't so expensive I would definitely consider it, but $40K buys a whole lotta petrol power!

Definitely. On strictly financial bases, hybrids in general don't make sense, and the Volt is on the high end of the range.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 12:47:04 am »
Personally, I'd consider a TDi or a Prius for a mileage champ that can still seat four. For something bigger, I'd look at the Fusion Hybrid.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 01:14:24 am »

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 01:46:16 am »
I'd choose the new Sonata Hybrid over the Ford.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/19/2011-hyundai-sonata-hybrid-first-drive-review-road-test/

:)

You would, fanboi! :stick: :cheers:

Without trying one it's difficult to really say how it will work out. They've been doing really well with their new introductions though. It certainly has a different look about it that's for sure.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 08:53:06 am »
A Prius has a lot of room it you can fit a 6 ft ladder and it is hatch and you can cruise down the highway and get 4/100km
I save over $45 a day in gas using the Prius compared to my pickup on a 300km trip
If I was going for a upgrade in luxury ride I would look at a CT200H
http://www.motoring.co.uk/car-news/new-low-emissions-for-lexus-ct200h_23417#

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 09:01:09 am »
A Prius has a lot of room it you can fit a 6 ft ladder and it is hatch and you can cruise down the highway and get 4/100km
I save over $45 a day in gas using the Prius compared to my pickup on a 300km trip
If I was going for a upgrade in luxury ride I would look at a CT200H
http://www.motoring.co.uk/car-news/new-low-emissions-for-lexus-ct200h_23417#

I do like the Prius, and yours in White looks particularly good.  :thumbup:

Offline gord_boyd

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +7/-24
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '12 A7, '85 911 turbo
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 05:52:31 pm »
I believe after trying Lexus HS (basically a Camry sized hybrid--better for highway trips)
that Sonata Hybrid is more advanced taking into account driver ergonomics with normal transmission
6-speed auto.  I am too much a traditionalist for CVT.  And I did not like having too brake; restart; then push Stop button;
when back on dealer's lot.

I also think for me, with Lake Huron-effect snow (and warm waters have produced many more horizontal rains/snows
than in the past) for first 5-10 kms. east of our shoreline, that extra weight both upfront and in rear,
a good thing to combine with 18 inch snow tires in winter (because car looks so much better with 18 inch wheels).

My personal choice would be a dark colour (dark blue?) so that big mouth grill more acceptable.

But if anyone knows that Toyota's computers are particularly set up for deep snow with all their experience,
I might be swayed new Lexus product.

Offline gord_boyd

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +7/-24
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '12 A7, '85 911 turbo
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 06:00:33 pm »
The other issue Turbo Bob is the terrific history on resale values of Prius/other hybrids as show up by Consumers Report.
We know 35.5 MPG (U.S.) will be fleet average from 2016 and you are only kidding yourself with all the changes from the manufacturers,
that if you don't get something very high in MPG, then how are you going to sell it down the road.  I like Hwy mileage expected from Atkinson cycle 2.4l.
as well.  A very good choice.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 06:15:20 pm »
Much as I like the prius, I would prefer something I could charge every night and just run off electricity.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 06:19:14 pm »
Much as I like the prius, I would prefer something I could charge every night and just run off electricity.

What distance are look to travel on a charge?
PHEV Prius is rated 20km on a charge

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 07:28:27 pm »
I have to write something up on the PHEV Prius I drove last week it is capable of 20km but can actually do a lot more or a lot less depending on your driving habits.  It can achieve great economy (like 1.5L/100km) average if you really are careful.

Toyota gave us numbers like 25 cents to charge the battery or something, so about a penny per km.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 08:04:24 pm »
Interesting.

I would want something that can do 40km-50km on electricity alone, then I would charge it every day.  Is there anything out there like that?

I figure if the car will never be used for long journeys why would I need a gas engine, make it as efficient as possible just on electricity alone.  Most of my journeys would be less than 25km per day.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2010, 08:25:15 pm »
Nope except the tesla there is nothing yet maybe by 2020 there will be.   

In Canada it will be a tough sell, especially with expensive electricity and the cold weather.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2010, 08:42:35 pm »
So let's say the PHEV Prius is launched, what if you charge it every day and it never uses the gas engine, does it seize up?

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2010, 08:49:43 pm »
The Volt has a maintenance mode, where the engine runs periodically to lube the internals. IIRC it also monitors the age of the gasoline and will use it up after a certain amount of time.

I'd imagine the plug-in Prius would feature something similar.

Edit added link:

Volt maintenance mode
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 08:54:25 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2010, 09:07:01 pm »
Interesting.

I would want something that can do 40km-50km on electricity alone, then I would charge it every day.  Is there anything out there like that?

I figure if the car will never be used for long journeys why would I need a gas engine, make it as efficient as possible just on electricity alone.  Most of my journeys would be less than 25km per day.

Based on your needs I'd say it is a bit early to look for an advanced technology vehicle. Prius will have a huge premium over an equivalent ICE car; for some it would be hard to justify paying that for a privilege to drive an extra 20 km without gas. Volt will be the same, two cars in one cannot be cheap. Now if you wait for a year or so, we should be getting an all-electric Leaf with 160km range. Surely you will get 50k out of it even in coldest winters.  The first ones will be eligible for ~7k rebate in ON, maybe feds will chip in also, so hopefully it won't cost a lot more to buy than an average compact. But when you do get it the saving will begin. Extremely cheap to "fuel", a lot less stuff to maintain, and eventually when in 5 years or so the battery will need to be replaced, you should be able to find one for a reasonable amount since the tech will have matured, or upgrade to a one providing for like twice the range.
Meanwhile, if you are in rush to get green, the hybrid Sonata will look distinctly enough, being one of the first hybrids to use lighter Li-ion cells.  
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2010, 09:12:01 pm »
Thanks for the info Dan.