Author Topic: 10 Cars Mechanics Hate  (Read 3176 times)

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
10 Cars Mechanics Hate
« on: September 12, 2010, 01:28:14 pm »
http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_content_landing_pages/1520/10-cars-mechanics-hate/

Both of our vehicles are this list.  And the "Special Mention" is funny:

"Special Mention

Fiat, Alfa Romeo, Lancia, Peugeot and AMC:

These are cars we fondly remember as rolling boat payments. We'd see them coming into the shop — usually on the back end of a tow truck — and we'd know it would be a good month. Unfortunately, these manufacturers are now on our fecal roster because they've pulled out of the U.S. market. Fiat and Alfa may come back in the next few years, even if they have to sneak in disguised as Chryslers. We just hope they haven't improved too much.

We could live with all the other cars on this list if we could just have a dozen customers with these heaps. Guys, please come back! We miss you!"

:rofl: :rofl2:
2016 Subaru Forester XT

CatsEye68

Re: 10 Cars Mechanics Hate
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 02:29:08 pm »
The article is total BS. To claim that the CR-V is perfect fails to take into account the self-destructing A/C compressors and associated repairs these require, plus of course the grenading Honda V-6 transmissions. And he has 2 Subies there, which is just crazy.

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 03:39:53 pm »
The article is total BS. To claim that the CR-V is perfect fails to take into account the self-destructing A/C compressors and associated repairs these require, plus of course the grenading Honda V-6 transmissions. And he has 2 Subies there, which is just crazy.

As I doubted you would bother doing any kind of search, I did this for you.  You can discuss this with the authors on their web site: http://www.cartalk.com/index.html  They have a community you can join up in and express your eloquently stated points of view there.

Or e-mail: http://www.cartalk.com/ct/3500.jsp

Or real mail:

Tom and Ray Magliozzi
Car Talk Plaza
Box 3500 Harvard Square
Cambridge, MA 02238

After all, its just their observations and if you disagree so strongly, then I suggest you talk with them.  But will you bother?  I doubt it, your kind never do any actions to fit the words presented........

Now where is that ignore button again? 

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +128/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra; 2012 Civic (Junior1), 2013 Sentra (Junior2)
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 04:09:04 pm »

Perhaps they are speaking of more recent models?  I believe the A/C issues on the CR-V were on the previous gen (2006 and earlier, not sure what years the problems were in specifically).  The "grenading" Honda V-6 trannies were totally gone in 2004, and were perfectly fine in some models in 2003. Since then, the 5-speed V-6 trannies have been very solid.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 04:18:39 pm »

:notroll:

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 04:57:12 pm »

As I doubted you would bother doing any kind of search, I did this for you.  You can discuss this with the authors on their web site: http://www.cartalk.com/index.html  They have a community you can join up in and express your eloquently stated points of view there.

Or e-mail: http://www.cartalk.com/ct/3500.jsp

Or real mail:

Tom and Ray Magliozzi
Car Talk Plaza
Box 3500 Harvard Square
Cambridge, MA 02238

After all, its just their observations and if you disagree so strongly, then I suggest you talk with them.  But will you bother?  I doubt it, your kind never do any actions to fit the words presented........

Now where is that ignore button again? 

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Point,Set and Match to Trainman
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 06:46:11 pm »
Used to love working on Renaults. Lots of indie shops would not touch them. Didn't matter if it was a warranty repair or a retail repair,they both paid great. Most owners loved them because they were "European",but they were truly a POS. And JEEP owners. LOL. Paid my mortgage off in ten years thanks to JEEPS. :rofl2:
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 08:03:21 pm »
But the cars on this list? You'll be lucky to sell their owners a set of brake pads or a muffler.

Yup, just replaced the first set of brake shoes and drums on my 192,773 km, eleven year old CR-V. I bought the parts without first checking, after all, what rear brakes last that long. The shoes weren't even half worn and the insides of the drum were like new. Same for the original front and rear struts which I replaced. I had the parts already. Parts replaced unnecessarily...hey wait a minute...maybe I should open up a shop.

The only repair issue we see with the CR-V is a "chattering" final drive in the all-wheel-drive version.

All you have to do is replace the dual-pump fluid, a $12 bottle of oil.

;D
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 08:06:33 pm »
I believe the A/C issues on the CR-V were on the previous gen (2006 and earlier, not sure what years the problems were in specifically).

My 1st gen 1999 CR-V A/C has been great and all parts are still original 11 years later. Must have been the 2nd gen CR-Vs.

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 08:30:45 am »
hey trainmain and border city -  you jumped down catseye68 because he mentioned accord tranys

so why don't you 2 do your research - before jumping on him
http://www.google.ca/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=7&oq=honda+accord+automatic+transmission+&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLJ_enCA325CA325&q=2007+honda+accord+automatic+transmission+problems

and heres a little TID BIT on the 08 accord
http://www.hondaproblems.com/

catseye might have been a little blunt in the way he expressed himself trainman - but look at your response -- just as bad - but in a civil writing - i'd have no qualms jumping to that web site and telling them so , so get off your high horse
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 09:03:45 am by bikenut »

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 09:56:24 am »
hey trainmain and border city -  you jumped down catseye68 because he mentioned accord tranys

so why don't you 2 do your research - before jumping on him
http://www.google.ca/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=7&oq=honda+accord+automatic+transmission+&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLJ_enCA325CA325&q=2007+honda+accord+automatic+transmission+problems

and heres a little TID BIT on the 08 accord

catseye might have been a little blunt in the way he expressed himself trainman - but look at your response -- just as bad - but in a civil writing - i'd have no qualms jumping to that web site and telling them so , so get off your high horse

What?  I didn't jump on him, I suggested that they are looking at more recent models.  And who mentioned Accords?  And your links... a google search on Accord transmission problems and a site called Hondaproblems.com?  Really?  You can come up with the same links for any brand. 

Additionally, I just looked up the Accord on Consumer Reports (again, I don't know why as Accords were never mentioned), and the trannies have been given the best rating since 2003, just as I suggested.

So relax, get off YOUR high horse, and start reading a little more carefully.

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 10:37:04 am »
i sent this to click and clack through car talk 10 cars mec. hate
re accord - said see civic
the accord up to at least 2008 shouldn't be on the list

and this re 2008 accord

so how do you explain this car being on the list and why did you skim over it when you didn't the others ?
the accord was on there list - it said see civic
and that hondaproblems i listed i did so because of the incredible amount of problems it has ,way out of proportion to the usual problems

i just reread your post

i see i misinterpreted what you said - to me you were calling cateye a whimp for not disscussing it with that web site -- but now i see i was wrong -- you inferred no such thing , i over reacted.
i know cats eye , i don't know you , and i took what you said to be an attack on him and i didn't like it. sorry about that
i consider jd power and the lemonaid guide more accurate than consumer reports by far simply because consumer reports doesn't get enough replies back from their car surveys to make a definitive judgement

the accords have had problems with their automatic trans failing early for years , covered with secret warrantees that go for 7 yrs ,i think , i didn't but a 2001 prelude auto because it , same trans that was passed on to the accords , with no changes , at one point honda promised to fix it for the next gen accord , they didn't , as phil of lemonaide guide puts it - they lied
consumer reports is like a guide line - not the whole truth about everything for the reason i stated earlier

« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 10:54:58 am by bikenut »

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 11:13:39 am »
Kind of a dumb article. I sure they hate say a 300ZX turbo since they are awful to work on.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 04:53:15 pm »
..??? Why the HATE ON the kars that make them MONEY................... ??? ::) :P...maybe they should think this thru.............. :banghead: :think: :stick: :eye:
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Marko

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 08:10:24 pm »
Isn't the Odyssey known for having a glass transmission?

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2010, 09:00:25 pm »
Isn't the Odyssey known for having a glass transmission?

May be known for it, but it doesn't. 

As stated earlier in the thread, the 5-speed that is mated to V-6s had issues early on in the decade.  Failure rates were high.  The reliability of the transmission improved drastically from 2002-2004.  For example, in the Honda Pilot, the tranny is actually pretty reliable in first year models, which are 2003s.  Failure rates aren't rare, but they are far from common.  The most common issue with the tranny is the failure of the third and fourth gear pressure switch, which is relatively inexpensive to repair.  Since I own a Pilot, I've spent a good deal of time on Piloteers.org, and to be perfectly honest, tranny failures on 2005+ vehicles are rare to hear about. 

Offline Marko

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2010, 09:13:12 pm »
The most common issue with the tranny is the failure of the third and fourth gear pressure switch, which is relatively inexpensive to repair.
I remember hearing something about this on acurazine. When the switches go bad the pressure in the line falls and the transmission starts to slip, burning up the clutch. Replacing the pressures switches is cheap especially if you do it yourself, however I believe by the time the switches have weakened noticeably enough to feel the slipping, the damage to the gears and clutch is already done and now you can't just replace the pressure sensors, you have to replace much more.

Of course if you know about the pressure switches and replace them in advance before they have time to get bad and cause any damage, your transmission should last a long time.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2010, 09:48:28 pm »
The most common issue with the tranny is the failure of the third and fourth gear pressure switch, which is relatively inexpensive to repair.
I remember hearing something about this on acurazine. When the switches go bad the pressure in the line falls and the transmission starts to slip, burning up the clutch. Replacing the pressures switches is cheap especially if you do it yourself, however I believe by the time the switches have weakened noticeably enough to feel the slipping, the damage to the gears and clutch is already done and now you can't just replace the pressure sensors, you have to replace much more.

Of course if you know about the pressure switches and replace them in advance before they have time to get bad and cause any damage, your transmission should last a long time.

Precisely.  However, a code is usually thrown before the damage is done.  Most owners report that their transmission is shifting perfectly normal when a pressure switch code shows up, and performs normally once the switches are replaced.

Offline gosteelerz

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Mustang V6 2007 Focus
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2010, 07:43:28 pm »
I was disappointed in the article.  I was hoping that it would list the top ten cars they hate to work on.  This is just another rehash of CR results.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2010, 10:19:25 pm »
I was disappointed in the article.  I was hoping that it would list the top ten cars they hate to work on.  This is just another rehash of CR results.

That would be a good article.  I suspect V-12 equipped models from most anyone that sold them would be near the top of those lists.  My MB tech had a love/hate relationship with the mid 90's SL600, as the labour charges were high, but he earned every dime of it.