Author Topic: 10 Cars Mechanics Hate  (Read 3175 times)

Offline gosteelerz

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Mustang V6 2007 Focus
Re: 10 Cars Mechanics Hate
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2010, 11:38:43 pm »
I was disappointed in the article.  I was hoping that it would list the top ten cars they hate to work on.  This is just another rehash of CR results.

That would be a good article.  I suspect V-12 equipped models from most anyone that sold them would be near the top of those lists.  My MB tech had a love/hate relationship with the mid 90's SL600, as the labour charges were high, but he earned every dime of it.

If some of those older MBs were easy to work on they would be a less scary used proposition.  I wouldn't mind an E36 Bimmer if it wasn't for the fear of getting it repaired.  Maybe they are easier to work on than the MBs of the same vintage.

Sort of on topic, I have read that the 3400 GMs were a PITA to change plugs in Luminas, Grand Prixs etc.. of the mid 90s's.

I don't know too many mechanics so I would be interested to get the inside scoop on which cars suck to work on.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
Re: 10 Cars Mechanics Hate
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2010, 11:55:48 pm »
'V' engines as a whole usually blow to work on, at least any I've had the displeasure of wrestling with. Speaking of the 3400's, one reason I understand the GM V6 gasket issues were such a problem was that the job can be difficult to do correctly.

http://d-tips.com/General/Articles/article.aspx?id=/free/How%20to/Chevrolet%203.4%20intake%20manifold%20Gasket/art10.art
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 11:57:57 pm by PJungnitsch »