Author Topic: Test Drive: 2011 Kia Sorento EX-V6 Luxury  (Read 28315 times)

SJP

Re: Test Drive: 2011 Kia Sorento EX-V6 Luxury
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2010, 03:37:34 pm »
its been garaged every winter since I've owned it but we always back into the garage - I'm wondering if thats not causing the water to pool against the tailgate instead of running off the rear bumper (garage floor is sloped slightly for drainage).

I have only had rust problems with two vehicles, and both were garaged in the winter. I have been told by someone in the know, that pulling a cold vehicle into a warm garage is one of the worst things you can do to it. This causes condensation it places where water would never normally reach, and even more moisture where it normally would be. Not sure if this is 100% accurate, but like I said, the person is in the know, they worked in corrosion prevention in the aircraft industry, and my personal experience with two separate vehicles showed it to be the case. I keep my vehicles outside now, and have not had a rust problem since.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 03:54:51 pm by SJP »

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2010, 05:54:12 pm »
its been garaged every winter since I've owned it but we always back into the garage - I'm wondering if thats not causing the water to pool against the tailgate instead of running off the rear bumper (garage floor is sloped slightly for drainage).

I have only had rust problems with two vehicles, and both were garaged in the winter. I have been told by someone in the know, that pulling a cold vehicle into a warm garage is one of the worst things you can do to it. This causes condensation it places where water would never normally reach, and even more moisture where it normally would be. Not sure if this is 100% accurate, but like I said, the person is in the know, they worked in corrosion prevention in the aircraft industry, and my personal experience with two separate vehicles showed it to be the case. I keep my vehicles outside now, and have not had a rust problem since.

Yep, your friend is 100% accurate, which is why is asked Spec5 if his garage was heated or not.  When bringing a salt covered vehicle into a warm place it greatly accelerates the corrosion process.  If you store your vehicle in a heated garage, I would highly recommend visiting a coin-op car wash regularly and rinse all of the salt off on your body panels as well as wheel wells and undercarriage.  Having it rust proofed (rust check, Krowne, etc) every couple of years will help as well.  :)
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2010, 10:20:30 pm »
looks like i missed all the fun on the rusting mazda 3's comments , wish i was here ,
mine has no rust , don't keep it garaged either , but thats probably due to victorias mild climate .

regarding rust

back in the early 90's i had a used 91 accord with 17's ,  k&n,  aftermarket exhaust , lowered .could really corner 
an autobody aquaintance came over looking at the car and said - car companies shoudn't be allowed to put these on a car !!!   they cause the car to rust !!!
 within 30 seconds he ripped out all the plastic inner fenders , i said thanks
i posted this too late - might be useful to someone
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 01:46:38 am by bikenut »

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2010, 12:28:42 pm »
Not that I would expect it to protect me from this type of rust but FWIW I have that anti-rust device thats hooked up to the battery.

Wonder if Hyundai will fix the rust under warranty?! :)
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2010, 01:27:27 pm »
Kia's corrosion warranty is for 5 years/100k mms so I would certainly think so.

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2010, 01:28:38 pm »

I'm worried it might be "perforation only". I'll let y'all know though.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2010, 01:32:14 pm »
^ Yes, definitely keep us posted.   :)

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2010, 02:02:13 pm »

I'm worried it might be "perforation only". I'll let y'all know though.

That's how it usually is. Interesting to find out if Kia is any different. Read the fine print yourself, don't go by the salesman's word.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2010, 02:04:07 pm »
looks like i missed all the fun on the rusting mazda 3's comments , wish i was here ,
mine has no rust , don't keep it garaged either , but thats probably due to victorias mild climate .

Not too late. Someone just opened a new thread on this...  :)

Marcelo

« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2010, 01:14:26 pm »
Hi, I am from Argentina.

Just bought a Sorento 2010 with the European 2.2 liters Turbo Diesel engine (Euro 5 norm) and a manual transmission (I understand this combo is not available up north). The engine is amazing, delivering 199 hp and 45 Nm of torque (more than the petrol V6!), and the mileage is also amazing, with 6.7 liters per 100 kms. It tows my double trailer with 2 heavy Polaris ATV's and cargo like it is nothing.
Haven't had any problem with the manual transmission; anybody heard about any?

Thanks!

Marcelo

aknutson

« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2010, 01:33:46 pm »
My 'Fe was built on July 14th 2010  and the TSB has been issued in May.  I hope it has received better parts or reflash before leaving the factory?

Have you put some miles on your vehicle yet? What do you think? We have the same model, just wondering what your experience was so far.

Picked it up only 10 days ago and have less than 500 Km on the clock.  Didn't have a chance for much out of town driving yet.  The part of today's Sorento's road test that I think relates the most to my experience with the 'Fe so far is this:
" On the road, the Sorento is a major improvement over its predecessor, with surprisingly good steering and braking feel and a firm but comfortable ride. The suspension is easily unsettled by sharp bumps, however, and the resulting noises make the car feel unsophisticated over rough roads.

The six-cylinder engine is more refined, with its smooth revving nature and good power delivery."

Surprising considering Hyundai's have been blamed for soft suspensions for as long as I can remember.  I'll start experiencing with lower tire pressures a bit, something in the range of 32 psi front and 30 rear might help things a bit.  Placard is 33/33.  Good thing I don't have the 18" from the SE or Limited model and the tires that were on the Sorento EX Chris tested.

As for fuel economy, my ScanGauge is still not calibrated to the car as I have yet to fill it up.  It's showing in the 11 L/100 Km in normal driving to work but I suspect it is a bit pessimistic.

My Sandisk portable player has been recognized instantly through the USB port.

I would have considered a FWD Sorento but there was only a $1000. cash deal incentive and the V6 is $2500. more compared to a $1500. option on the 'Fe.  So the 2010 Santa Fe cost me $3600. less than a comparable '11 Sorento that has a bit more standard equipment though.

When did you get yours?  How much mileage and what kind of mileage are you getting?  Any issues yet?

My first ever automatic transmission and first jacked up station wagon with elevated roof on bigger tires...

We have been driving the Santa Fe since June of this year, has proven to be excellent for our needs. Powerful, refined, and to my delight very respectable on gas considering the bulk of the vehicle. For about an extra 5-8L of fuel, the Santa Fe is getting the same amount of KM's out of a tank as my 2.0L Mazda Protege5. With gas prices hovering at around $1.01 to $1.02, it costs us about $55 to fill up the Santa Fe and we get approx. 550 Km's out of a tank. If you were to drive to the point that the car was on fumes, it might be $60-65 to fill, but you'd also get 600+ Km's.

No problems with the engine or transmission. The V6/6pd auto revs at about 2200 RPM at 120 km/h, and wind/tire/engine noise is nil. Halogen headlights work great with very strong high-beams and generously wide low-beams, and fog lights actually work! Stereo is good enough for me - I've never had a car with a truly 'premium' audio system, so to my untrained ears the 6-speaker setup in the 'Fe offers clean highs/mids and strong bass from what I would guess is 6.5" woofers up front. Cargo capacity is excellent, if you opt for 5-passenger seating you get the lifting rear tray that holds a surprising amount of 'stuff' under the rear load floor. There's no shortage of storage around the vehicle as well, with little cubbies everywhere. One of the best things is the auto-tip rear headrests - pull the pin to fold the second-row seats and the headrests automatically collapse and fold behind the front seats, no adjustments required. Living with the infuriating seats in my Protege5, this is a Godsend.

Mechanically the car has been great - to those who just read a few threads on the internet and assume Hyundai/Kia quality is just smoke and mirrors, I beg to differ. We were confident going into our Santa Fe purchase because we have friends that are still driving their '04 and '07 models and have yet to find a single problem with their vehicles. No rust, no mechanical failures, good dealers and practical value. Sure there are other vehicles in this segment that may offer more of one thing or another, like some focusing on space or luxury, but it seems that these twins (Sorento, Santa Fe) are top runners for an 'all around' value.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2010, 08:37:48 pm »
It's looking like I'll be picking up a new EX V6 Luxury Sorento in the very near future.   :)

aknutson

« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2010, 09:14:10 am »
It's looking like I'll be picking up a new EX V6 Luxury Sorento in the very near future.   :)

You won't regret it. Just make sure you wait until they have that suspension update installed - that will smooth out the ride and make it an even better purchase.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #73 on: September 14, 2010, 09:35:32 am »

Congrats! Like I said before, the best looking SUV out there.  :cheers:

:ttiwwp:
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Johnny-Bobby

« Reply #74 on: September 15, 2010, 10:58:30 am »
My 'Fe was built on July 14th 2010  and the TSB has been issued in May.  I hope it has received better parts or reflash before leaving the factory?

Have you put some miles on your vehicle yet? What do you think? We have the same model, just wondering what your experience was so far.

Picked it up only 10 days ago and have less than 500 Km on the clock.  Didn't have a chance for much out of town driving yet.  The part of today's Sorento's road test that I think relates the most to my experience with the 'Fe so far is this:
" On the road, the Sorento is a major improvement over its predecessor, with surprisingly good steering and braking feel and a firm but comfortable ride. The suspension is easily unsettled by sharp bumps, however, and the resulting noises make the car feel unsophisticated over rough roads.

The six-cylinder engine is more refined, with its smooth revving nature and good power delivery."

Surprising considering Hyundai's have been blamed for soft suspensions for as long as I can remember.  I'll start experiencing with lower tire pressures a bit, something in the range of 32 psi front and 30 rear might help things a bit.  Placard is 33/33.  Good thing I don't have the 18" from the SE or Limited model and the tires that were on the Sorento EX Chris tested.

As for fuel economy, my ScanGauge is still not calibrated to the car as I have yet to fill it up.  It's showing in the 11 L/100 Km in normal driving to work but I suspect it is a bit pessimistic.

My Sandisk portable player has been recognized instantly through the USB port.

I would have considered a FWD Sorento but there was only a $1000. cash deal incentive and the V6 is $2500. more compared to a $1500. option on the 'Fe.  So the 2010 Santa Fe cost me $3600. less than a comparable '11 Sorento that has a bit more standard equipment though.

When did you get yours?  How much mileage and what kind of mileage are you getting?  Any issues yet?

My first ever automatic transmission and first jacked up station wagon with elevated roof on bigger tires...

We have been driving the Santa Fe since June of this year, has proven to be excellent for our needs. Powerful, refined, and to my delight very respectable on gas considering the bulk of the vehicle. For about an extra 5-8L of fuel, the Santa Fe is getting the same amount of KM's out of a tank as my 2.0L Mazda Protege5. With gas prices hovering at around $1.01 to $1.02, it costs us about $55 to fill up the Santa Fe and we get approx. 550 Km's out of a tank. If you were to drive to the point that the car was on fumes, it might be $60-65 to fill, but you'd also get 600+ Km's.

No problems with the engine or transmission. The V6/6pd auto revs at about 2200 RPM at 120 km/h, and wind/tire/engine noise is nil. Halogen headlights work great with very strong high-beams and generously wide low-beams, and fog lights actually work! Stereo is good enough for me - I've never had a car with a truly 'premium' audio system, so to my untrained ears the 6-speaker setup in the 'Fe offers clean highs/mids and strong bass from what I would guess is 6.5" woofers up front. Cargo capacity is excellent, if you opt for 5-passenger seating you get the lifting rear tray that holds a surprising amount of 'stuff' under the rear load floor. There's no shortage of storage around the vehicle as well, with little cubbies everywhere. One of the best things is the auto-tip rear headrests - pull the pin to fold the second-row seats and the headrests automatically collapse and fold behind the front seats, no adjustments required. Living with the infuriating seats in my Protege5, this is a Godsend.

Mechanically the car has been great - to those who just read a few threads on the internet and assume Hyundai/Kia quality is just smoke and mirrors, I beg to differ. We were confident going into our Santa Fe purchase because we have friends that are still driving their '04 and '07 models and have yet to find a single problem with their vehicles. No rust, no mechanical failures, good dealers and practical value. Sure there are other vehicles in this segment that may offer more of one thing or another, like some focusing on space or luxury, but it seems that these twins (Sorento, Santa Fe) are top runners for an 'all around' value.

Thanks for your review.

My first tank returned a better than expected 8.8 l/100 Km and almost 670 Km with the low fuel light on for about 10 or so.  But I suspect that the tank had been overfilled by the dealer before I took delivery.  My ScanGauge is now indicating an average in the mid to high 9's.

What I like about the Santa Fe is that the base model had all what I wanted with few things missing and not deal brakers such outside temp, onboard computer, flashers in the mirrors and heated seats, all standard in the Sorento.

And not pushing me into a higher priced model containing sunroof, leather, automatic climate control, power seats and the like.  And youppi, no TPMS yet in Canada.

I like thoughtful details like the fold style rear headrests that can stay folded when nobody is sitting in the back seat for better visibility.  I love the XM radio and might renew after the 3 month trial is over if the price is good.  Sound quality with XM is also notably better than FM.  Did you see the SDVC (Speed Dependent Volume Control) and PBass features in Setup on your radio?

The real test is coming in a few weeks as we are headed to our "Florida cabin".

I also have ordered a set of 235/70-16 Continental Extreme Winter Contact winter tires that should be arriving in late october.  Will use the 16" rims from my Sonata and plastic hubcaps.  

Oh, and I waxed it yesterday!!!

Bonne route!

Sorry for misnaming as I was not logged on and didn't want to lose what I had written..  Minou
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 11:00:11 am by Johnny-Bobby »