Author Topic: Test Drive: 2011 Kia Sorento EX-V6 Luxury  (Read 28325 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2011 Kia Sorento EX-V6 Luxury
« on: September 03, 2010, 04:07:41 am »

Everything about this second-generation Kia Sorento is all-new, but the changes "only put it mid-pack in terms of mechanical sophistication and styling," says Chris Chase. "What really sells it, as with most Kias, is its high feature-to-dollar ratio."

Read More...

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2011 Kia Sorento EX-V6 Luxury
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 05:19:54 am »
well , at least they didn't drop the ball with the 11 optima
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/09/02/2011-kia-optima-first-drive-review-road-test/

John MacDonald

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 06:36:06 am »
A very good vehicle at a reasonable price.  The only problem is that it's basically the same as the Santa Fe (which is cheaper) and has the same transmission.  That last part is key as the new 6 speed tranny in the Santa Fe is having a lot of troubles.  If I were looking at an SUV I would stay away from both the Santa Fe and Sorento until they sort out the problem.  Currently they don't have a fix for the tranny, even putting a brand new one in doesn't fix the problem.  And this is on vehicles with under 20,000 kms, some have the problem in under the first 1000kms.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-239
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 06:43:27 am »

It all looks good until you see the rear end. Then looks really cheap IMO.

Offline Factger

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Sportwagen 4 motion 2018 Ford Edge 2013 Ford Focus SE (5 Speed Man.)
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 08:42:10 am »
I would buy this vehicle or it brother Santa fe (good buying incentives) but it seems they have a problem with  their 6 speed auto tranny. It is all over the net.(2010 hyundai santa fe transmission problems) People with 2010 santa fe ' s with 5000km are having problems. Hyundia/kia fix it. They have perform a tsb and even replace the transmission but it does not seem to fix the problem. I know sometimes the internet blows things out of proportion but when you have loyal hyundai buyers/enthusiast/returning customers telling you not to purchase a vehicle, their opinion has some merit. Buyer beware.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t46179-st-140-transmission-problems-with-new-2010-santa-fe.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3bNtMWiyDQ

edit: sorry John i did not read your post above
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 08:46:03 am by Factger »

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 08:50:31 am »
Interesting. First time I hear about the problems with the 6-speed auto. I wonder if the new Sonata also has the same problems with its transmission?

In any case, it just furthers the point that you shouldn't buy first-year models/major components... it's best to wait a year or two before.

Offline Factger

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Sportwagen 4 motion 2018 Ford Edge 2013 Ford Focus SE (5 Speed Man.)
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 09:54:53 am »

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t51308-transmission-gremlin-is-not-going-away-.htm

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t52695-2011-sonata-gls-transmission-problem.htm

Here is the TSB

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION SOLENOID DTC P0741, P0743, P0748, P0753, P0758,
Group: AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
TSB#: 10-AT-003-1
Date: MAY, 2010
Affected Model: 2010~ TUCSON, 2010~ SANTA FE, 2011~ SONATA, 2011~ AZERA

DESCRIPTION:
Incorrect operation of the transmission solenoids may result in the following symptoms:
• Check Engine Light illuminated
• Transaxle held in 4th gear Fail-Safe
• Diagnostic Trouble Codes P0741, P0743, P0748, P0753, P0758, P0763, P0768, P0773 or P2709

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 09:58:19 am »
I never knew anything about the transmission issue either.  Is it still an issue even with current build dates?
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

aknutson

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 10:10:45 am »
Interesting. First time I hear about the problems with the 6-speed auto. I wonder if the new Sonata also has the same problems with its transmission?

In any case, it just furthers the point that you shouldn't buy first-year models/major components... it's best to wait a year or two before.

Yeah but the vehicle has a 5-year warranty - if anything does go wrong in the first 5 years/100K kms it's not an issue. Our Santa Fe is shifting smooth as glass.

Re/Sorento review, we are 'unimpressed' by 10.5L/100Km in a 276 horsepower, 7-passenger, AWD luxury crossover? Wow, we must have been driving some thrifty cars lately. The previous gen Sorento had less space, 192 horsepower and achieved 16L/100km city and 11 highway with the 3.5L V6...I'd say the improvements are at the very least impressive, if not incredible. Quality is up, technology is on the forefront and the value makes it class-leading. If this is mid-pack, what's up front, the funny-looking $45K Pilot? The 4-cylinder CRV?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 10:12:19 am by aknutson »

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 10:15:23 am »

Yeah but the vehicle has a 5-year warranty - if anything does go wrong in the first 5 years/100K kms it's not an issue. Our Santa Fe is shifting smooth as glass.

Not an issue? I'd rather not be leaving my vehicle for days at a time at the dealership while they're replacing/fixing the transmission. Sure, you're not paying for the repairs out of your pocket, but still a huge inconvenience!

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 10:26:18 am »
My CUV/SUV search has been narrowed down to the Sorento and the new Edge.  This transmission issue certainly has me concerned now.  Ford's 3 year/60k KM warranty also has me concerned. 

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 10:41:27 am »
For all that this truck is a significant upgrade over what came before it, the changes only put it mid-pack in terms of mechanical sophistication

Then there’s Kia’s infuriating USB stereo interface, which has failed to work with any iPod I’ve plugged into it in any number of their test cars.

The suspension is easily unsettled by sharp bumps, however, and the resulting noises make the car feel unsophisticated over rough roads.

Another of Kia’s hallmarks is its touchy throttles, and that makes an appearance here: care is needed to make smooth exits from traffic lights.

averaged an unimpressive 10.5 L/100 km on a highway road trip, and 13.5 in all-city driving.

I just can’t help but think they could have spent more time on the improved part.

slow trans shifts   -all these are the reviewers comments

so i'm thinking if i wanted to by one of these things ,suv's , with my hard earned doe , why would i pick one with all these flaws in it -- i'd find the best in class to buy , not a middle packer

saving money is one thing , being annoyed by your suv's flaws is another

aknutson

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 10:44:31 am »

Not an issue? I'd rather not be leaving my vehicle for days at a time at the dealership while they're replacing/fixing the transmission. Sure, you're not paying for the repairs out of your pocket, but still a huge inconvenience!

Sure, but Hyundai/Kia aren't the first automaker to have a mechanical recall...that's the risk you take with any vehicle. It doesn't change the value of the vehicle in the segment, but some may wish to wait until this is all sorted out. Also apparently Kia is fixing their suspension on upcoming models, to apparently make it smoother...that would be worth the wait. As much as I like our Santa Fe, the jiggly ride is unwelcome on rough pavement.

Offline Factger

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 10:45:29 am »
1) Proving your problem to MFG
2) MFG fixing the problem with tsb ( vehicle laid up)
3) Have the problem re occur
4) MFG replacing the transmission( vehicle laid up again)
5) Have the problem occur again

This has occured with some buyers. This would clearly annoy me. But hey it is all covered under warranty.

If Hyundia / kia had a  TSB that would fix the issue I would have no problem buying their product but there seems to be no fix right now, therefore no sale.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 10:47:28 am »
Then there’s Kia’s infuriating USB stereo interface, which has failed to work with any iPod I’ve plugged into it in any number of their test cars.

If it's like my Sonata (and I'm pretty sure it's the case), you need a cable made by Kia in order to plug your iPod.

A quick search on google found this: http://www.kiaaccessorystore.com/kia_ipod_cable.html

I would hope that a professional reviewer would figure this out, especially after failing to connect a bunch of iPods in a bunch of cars.  ???

aknutson

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2010, 10:56:25 am »
For all that this truck is a significant upgrade over what came before it, the changes only put it mid-pack in terms of mechanical sophistication

The suspension is easily unsettled by sharp bumps, however, and the resulting noises make the car feel unsophisticated over rough roads.

Another of Kia’s hallmarks is its touchy throttles, and that makes an appearance here: care is needed to make smooth exits from traffic lights.

averaged an unimpressive 10.5 L/100 km on a highway road trip, and 13.5 in all-city driving.

I just can’t help but think they could have spent more time on the improved part.

slow trans shifts   -all these are the reviewers comments

so i'm thinking if i wanted to by one of these things ,suv's , with my hard earned doe , why would i pick one with all these flaws in it -- i'd find the best in class to buy , not a middle packer

saving money is one thing , being annoyed by your suv's flaws is another

So again, as there is NO vehicle without fault, what is the class leader? I'm sure anything can be picked apart for one reason or another. Having owned and driven a 2010 Santa Fe for 15,000 Kms, I can shed some light on some of the issues.

1) For us, AUX ipod has worked fine with an aftermarket generic-brand AUX cable. We have it in the car right now, connected to a fairly old iPod. Have not yet tested the USB so can't comment there.

2) Touchy throttle takes about a week to get used to, as every car has a different feel for gas/braking. Easing gently into traffic is not a problem, it just requires the driver to respond differently with their foot. The problem I DO have is the braking feel - pedal travel is long and nose dive feels significant. For such a stiff suspension I would hope for a more taut, controlled braking action.

3) We average 10-11L/100 km city/highway. Pure highway she'll pull 9L/100 km, but we have the FWD model. Perhaps the AWD adds weight/drag? Regardless I'm impressed for the power, size and weight of the vehicle - this is not a compact sedan after all.

The test vehicle had 3000 Kms, not even into the breaking-in point. Mileage gets better after the first 6,000 km service, and even better after that.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 11:14:44 am »
If the tranny issue would be fixed by a reflash, it wouldn't be a problem at all (it happens all the time with all manufacturers). Having to replace transmissions on a significant number of brand new cars (I'm not not sure if this is the case), would qualify as a design/manufacturing defect to me and it is not something I would look forward to, even if it's replaced under warranty.

Is this the new in-house Hyundai developed 6-speed AT?

10.5L/100KM combined looks good to me for an AWD V6 mid-size SUV. Highway only, it could be good or not so good, depending on the driving conditions.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 11:35:30 am by carcrazy »

Offline Factger

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2010, 11:33:43 am »

3.5-liter DOHC Lambda II V6 with Hyundai's first six-speed SHIFTRONIC automatic transmission

It kind of sucks because I want to buy this vehicle because of the new drivetrain and bang for the buck value. But I have to wait.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 11:38:17 am »

3.5-liter DOHC Lambda II V6 with Hyundai's first six-speed SHIFTRONIC automatic transmission

It kind of sucks because I want to buy this vehicle because of the new drivetrain and bang for the buck value. But I have to wait.

This is what I'd be worried about. I'm not sure, but isn't this Hyundai's first, from scratch, in-house developed transmission ever (not only 6-speed shiftonic)?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 11:54:57 am by carcrazy »

Offline Factger

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2010, 11:57:11 am »
Hyundai Develops Own Six-Speed Automatic for Improved Fuel Efficiency

- Hyundai becomes 3rd company in the world to develop own 6-speed automatic transaxle
- New transaxle boosts fuel economy by 12%, is 12kg lighter and has 62 fewer parts than a 5-speed
- First application will be in Grandeur/Azera models beginning in January 2009

The strength of our design is its totally unique layout which makes it smaller, more compact and lighter than any other 6-speed on the market today," said Hong-Min Kim, the project manager of the transaxle at Hyundai Motor’s R&D Center. In fact, the design is so unique and so advanced, Hyundai has applied for nearly 300 patents to protect its intellectual property.

The new 6-speed went into production this month (December) and will see its first application in Grandeur/Azera models beginning in January 2009. A total of five variants of the 6-speed transaxle will be produced to accommodate a wide range of gasoline and diesel engines. A total of sixteen different Hyundai models will get this transmission including a redesigned Santa Fe, which is due to arrive in late in 2009 and early 2010 in some markets.

http://jalopnik.com/5116412/hyundais-new-in+house-six-speed-auto-transmission-hits-azera-first