Author Topic: Test Drive: 2011 Kia Sorento EX-V6 Luxury  (Read 28319 times)

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2011 Kia Sorento EX-V6 Luxury
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2010, 09:39:11 pm »
Then there’s Kia’s infuriating USB stereo interface, which has failed to work with any iPod I’ve plugged into it in any number of their test cars.

If it's like my Sonata (and I'm pretty sure it's the case), you need a cable made by Kia in order to plug your iPod.

A quick search on google found this: http://www.kiaaccessorystore.com/kia_ipod_cable.html

I would hope that a professional reviewer would figure this out, especially after failing to connect a bunch of iPods in a bunch of cars.  ???

Far as I'm concerned, it's still a flaw if you need a special connector. Most cars will connect quite easily with nothing but the connector that came with the Nano.

Kia includes the necessary cable for connecting your iPod, Nano, etc, so I am not sure why it's a big deal?   ??? 

They don't supply it in the press cars...
I used to work here.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2010, 09:54:10 pm »
Then there’s Kia’s infuriating USB stereo interface, which has failed to work with any iPod I’ve plugged into it in any number of their test cars.

If it's like my Sonata (and I'm pretty sure it's the case), you need a cable made by Kia in order to plug your iPod.

A quick search on google found this: http://www.kiaaccessorystore.com/kia_ipod_cable.html

I would hope that a professional reviewer would figure this out, especially after failing to connect a bunch of iPods in a bunch of cars.  ???

Far as I'm concerned, it's still a flaw if you need a special connector. Most cars will connect quite easily with nothing but the connector that came with the Nano.

Kia includes the necessary cable for connecting your iPod, Nano, etc, so I am not sure why it's a big deal?   ??? 

They don't supply it in the press cars...

That's certainly odd to say the least.  When I recently test drove the Sorento I used my iPhone with the stock supplied cable and the system seemed to work extremely well.  It wasn't an extensive test by any means, but the system certainly seemed to work as designed.  It baffles me why they wouldn't include the cable in your press cars.    ???
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2010, 10:41:22 pm »
Press people steal them  :stick:

Robert

« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2010, 10:58:10 pm »

Hey didn't you know it takes a special usb plug for Iphones and ipods,you have to buy it from Kia,i bought one for my forte and it works great.

goonboy

« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2010, 11:49:11 pm »
As I posted before...boring, dated 90's styling.  I like the front end on the Santa Fe better.

Offline Shnak

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-49
  • New toy! :)
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2006 Kia Sportage
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2010, 08:09:53 am »

Wow. I couldn't disagree more with you on this. Just wow.

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2010, 11:56:22 am »

would I be seen dead?

« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2010, 07:42:01 pm »
Ahhhhhh yes the legendary quality if the KIA....does it hurt to be poor?

:hello:
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 07:43:41 pm by would I be seen dead? »

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2010, 01:00:47 pm »
Ford's don't rust? Man it seems like just a few years ago Ford was taking all kinds of heat for using recycled metal in their cause which seemed to accelerate the rusting process. Anyone with an 80s era Crown Vic can probably attest.

Found
On
Road
Dead

Fix
Or
Repair
Daily

In all seriousness I'd like to see a review of the new Explorer asap - my sister is looking real hard at a Sorento right now and I'm encouraging it. I like the idea that the warranty is much better but Ford has been coming on hugely strong for about the last 2 years.
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

Offline dguthmann

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2010, 02:47:34 pm »
Or my 2000 Windstar.  What a rust bucket...and it was supposedly rust-proofed.
Don't get me started...    >:(

Ford's don't rust? Man it seems like just a few years ago Ford was taking all kinds of heat for using recycled metal in their cause which seemed to accelerate the rusting process. Anyone with an 80s era Crown Vic can probably attest.

Found
On
Road
Dead

Fix
Or
Repair
Daily

In all seriousness I'd like to see a review of the new Explorer asap - my sister is looking real hard at a Sorento right now and I'm encouraging it. I like the idea that the warranty is much better but Ford has been coming on hugely strong for about the last 2 years.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2010, 05:05:25 pm »
Do you Ford owners wash your cars often especially in the winter? Touch up any scratches and nicks no matter how small? Not discrediting that Fords of yesteryear were not that great but any car can rust. Just see Toyotas and Hondas of 20 years ago... but in that mix there are some Corollas and Civics that still have immaculate exteriors. You can certainly tell who's taken care of their cars and the majority who haven't bothered.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2010, 06:49:16 pm »
You forgot the Mazda 3s allegedly still rusting away; there is a thread somewhere about it.
I just saw 2 new Sorento in dark colour, one in front of a Santa Fe. I have to say now IMHO Sorento is the best new design among CUV/SUV of any price tag.
I now wonder if the Sorento SX will be making it across the border. It's front end looks a bit sportier and it now comes with different DFD shocks which will be standard on the other models later.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline dguthmann

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2010, 08:15:26 am »

Having recently joined the half-century club  :P, I have to say that I find the red dash lighting on black background much more difficult to focus on than bright white lighting.   I really notice it in my wife's EOS.  I wish manufacturers would stick to white or even blue dash lighting.   Not ready to wear bi-focals yet!!  Probably annoying enough that I would have to pass on the Sorento next fall when I replace the Accord.  Hopefully the new Santa Fe next fall will stick to white/blue dash lighting. 

Anyone else have an issue with red lighting?  Just curious.  Maybe it's just me! 

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2010, 08:17:43 am »
I think it just you ;D
I have no problems in our BMW

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2010, 08:26:24 am »
Red lighting in BMW was just fine.   Mixture of blue and red in the GTI is not so good.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Minou

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Mazda 3 GS, 2016 Ford Edge SEL, 2016 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2010, 09:24:00 am »

Having recently joined the half-century club  :P, I have to say that I find the red dash lighting on black background much more difficult to focus on than bright white lighting.   I really notice it in my wife's EOS.  I wish manufacturers would stick to white or even blue dash lighting.   Not ready to wear bi-focals yet!!  Probably annoying enough that I would have to pass on the Sorento next fall when I replace the Accord.  Hopefully the new Santa Fe next fall will stick to white/blue dash lighting. 

Anyone else have an issue with red lighting?  Just curious.  Maybe it's just me! 

I passed the half century mark a year ago...  And can tell you that the actual Santa Fe blue and white lighting is superb and easy on old eyes.

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2010, 12:58:16 pm »
You forgot the Mazda 3s allegedly still rusting away; there is a thread somewhere about it.
I just saw 2 new Sorento in dark colour, one in front of a Santa Fe. I have to say now IMHO Sorento is the best new design among CUV/SUV of any price tag.
I now wonder if the Sorento SX will be making it across the border. It's front end looks a bit sportier and it now comes with different DFD shocks which will be standard on the other models later.

I've actually noticed on quite a few Mazda3s the rust in the fender wells. I'm wondering if DKaz doesn't have a good point (well actually it is a very good point) with regards to people not looking after their cars.

For the record I've got some rust forming at the bottom of my tailgate on my Tucson. With the exception of last winter it would get washed usually once a week - two at the most. Interesting point though - its been garaged every winter since I've owned it but we always back into the garage - I'm wondering if thats not causing the water to pool against the tailgate instead of running off the rear bumper (garage floor is sloped slightly for drainage).

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2010, 01:01:56 pm »

I've actually noticed on quite a few Mazda3s the rust in the fender wells. I'm wondering if DKaz doesn't have a good point (well actually it is a very good point) with regards to people not looking after their cars.

For the record I've got some rust forming at the bottom of my tailgate on my Tucson. With the exception of last winter it would get washed usually once a week - two at the most. Interesting point though - its been garaged every winter since I've owned it but we always back into the garage - I'm wondering if thats not causing the water to pool against the tailgate instead of running off the rear bumper (garage floor is sloped slightly for drainage).

Is your garage heated or at least above zero during the winter?

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2010, 02:57:36 pm »

Is your garage heated or at least above zero during the winter?

Ya, not heated but very well insulated. Very rarely does it get much below freezing.