Author Topic: Used Vehicle Review: Smart Fortwo, 2005-2010  (Read 11492 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Used Vehicle Review: Smart Fortwo, 2005-2010
« on: September 02, 2010, 04:05:06 am »

While popular, the tiny Smart Fortwo has had a few reliability issues since its introduction here in 2004, such as problems with the air conditioning, turbocharger, airbags, and transmission.  Chris Chase has all the details and relevant links.

Read More...

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Used Vehicle Review: Smart Fortwo, 2005-2010
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 05:15:51 am »
they asked smart fortwo owners if they would buy the car again - answer in link
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/20/focus-group-just-8-1-of-ny-smart-fortwo-owners-would-buy-again/

John Meyer

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 05:49:37 am »
My last car purchase was between the '05 Echo and the '06 Smart.  I loved driving the Smart.  You actually had to think about what you were doing.

If it had been as reliable as the Echo, I would have gone for it.  But the cost of service from the Mercedes dealer and the fact they are 45 minutes away made the Smart a real risk.

However, Smart owners around here in snow country love them and there are quite a few.

When Toyota, Honda or Hyundai (or any credible manufacturer with a local dealer) make an equivalent, I'm in.  Would get a Smart if a local Merc dealer opens but there is no chance of this.

I was out for a spin in the Mitsubishi electric car which is making a tour across Canada.  It is definitely good enough folks and a huge improvement over the '07 Buddy I drove in Europe this summer.

Cheers,
John Meyer

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 07:50:45 am »
they asked smart fortwo owners if they would buy the car again - answer in link
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/20/focus-group-just-8-1-of-ny-smart-fortwo-owners-would-buy-again/

Thanks for the link bikenut....It's a little surprising the number for New York is so low. But then again....maybe not.   ;)
Have Car......Will Travel

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 07:54:05 am »
My last car purchase was between the '05 Echo and the '06 Smart.  I loved driving the Smart.  You actually had to think about what you were doing.

If it had been as reliable as the Echo, I would have gone for it.  But the cost of service from the Mercedes dealer and the fact they are 45 minutes away made the Smart a real risk.

However, Smart owners around here in snow country love them and there are quite a few.

When Toyota, Honda or Hyundai (or any credible manufacturer with a local dealer) make an equivalent, I'm in.  Would get a Smart if a local Merc dealer opens but there is no chance of this.

I was out for a spin in the Mitsubishi electric car which is making a tour across Canada.  It is definitely good enough folks and a huge improvement over the '07 Buddy I drove in Europe this summer.

Cheers,
John Meyer

Trust me John......the Echo WAS the "smart" choice.....pun whole heartedly intended.     ;)

SJP

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 09:29:09 am »
This would have to get at least 50% better fuel economy before I would even consider living with it's serious drawbacks. Fit, Yaris, Fiesta, all great little compact fuel efficient cars, with so much more to offer.

aknutson

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 09:36:30 am »
Smart car undoubtedly has the worst transmission of any car I have ever driven.  It makes a lawn tractor seem sporting.  And considering the sacrifices necessary to endure the whole experience the fuel economy is not even all that good.  Plus, it is pricey given the alternatives. 

:iagree:

Not only was the transmission poor, I found the throttle takeup on the turbo diesel to be downright impossible to drive smoothly. With light throttle the car would barely chug, but with a little more it would lunge forward. Perhaps this is partly due to the transmission, but regardless I find there are too many compromises for my personal tastes - but then, I don't live in a crowded downtown urban setting. If I needed a runabout and had a condo in the heart of Toronto, my perspective might be different, and I think things improved with later versions that used a gas motor.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 09:55:20 am »
...smart Kar...............then there is the "Clown " factor.......they still make me laugh.........
Time is to stop everything happening at once

coast

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 11:08:36 am »
I liked the diesel version much better then the gas model.  It didn't seem much slower in normal driving and it got much better mileage on cheaper diesel instead of pricey premium.

Suited the quirky car better too.

hemusbull

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 11:28:19 am »
Smart is again and again the same corporate policy regarding NA market - to offer European vehicle with premium picing. And on the top of this, it's came from the price leader like MB, carrying one of their least successful products ever. It's a poorly engineered, unreliable and tottaly unfunniest car ever driven here within this price range, IMO! Thanks MB they never experimented with Smart ForFour here - it's disaster in Europe and now discontinued. So, my basic point is - with sooooo many euro micro cars it was wrong business model to try with the worst example- Smart ForTwo!

aknutson

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 12:00:06 pm »
If any European mini had made it over, I would have wanted the Suzuki Swift! And for those pining for a supermini with some character, the Fiat 500 is on its way.

SJP

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 02:48:28 pm »
Driving one of these is all about personal style/taste. They make almost no sense when compared against the other compact offering from other manufacturers. It is like a person sitting on the beach in an expensive three piece suit- Sure it serves a purpose, you stand out from the crowd, and you may be stylish, and it is your right to choose to do so; but don't try to tell me it is a sensible choice.

aknutson

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 02:51:09 pm »
Driving one of these is all about personal style/taste. They make almost no sense when compared against the other compact offering from other manufacturers. It is like a person sitting on the beach in an expensive three piece suit- Sure it serves a purpose, you stand out from the crowd, and you may be stylish, and it is your right to choose to do so; but don't try to tell me it is a sensible choice.

Especially a car like the Honda Fit. For similar money, you're getting a lot more car, and it's still easy to drive through dense urban areas. And if you're really on a quest for green/small, get a bike!

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 05:48:20 pm »
I have a friend with a Smart.  He had one of the first ones delivered, and we were in a parking lot, and were swarmed by young women.  I could see the appeal of the car!

However, his ownership has not been positive.  The car has been plagued with problems, and after the warranty expired, his wallet took a serious beating thanks to Mercedes-style parts and service prices.

Sure, an Echo HB has less cache, but it's a super-reliable car, can carry four people, has "normal" sized tires that don't cost a bundle, gets $29 oil changes at the dealer, and has similar fuel economy to the Smart.  Therefore, as I see it Smart = Stupid.

SJP

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 06:39:03 pm »
aknutson
Especially a car like the Honda Fit. For similar money, you're getting a lot more car, and it's still easy to drive through dense urban areas.

Pretty much exactly what I was getting at, and the Fit is the best example.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 06:46:43 pm »
I see people are putting Hayabusa engines in the Smart cars.  Would make it fast and reliable....

http://www.smartbusa.us/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV4HdsDZX6c&feature=related
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 06:50:12 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

SJP

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 06:54:34 pm »
Still wouldn't make it a practical choice, but I imagine it would be a whole pile of fun. And, if it can't be sensible, it might as well be fun

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 07:02:17 pm »
Still wouldn't make it a practical choice, but I imagine it would be a whole pile of fun. And, if it can't be sensible, it might as well be fun

I bet you it would get close to the gas mileage of the gasoline Smart...

SJP

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 07:10:24 pm »

I bet you're not far off with that prediction.... especially if driven sensibly. But good luck with that  :)

Tonka is back!

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 09:17:58 pm »

I bet you're not far off with that prediction.... especially if driven sensibly. But good luck with that  :)

I need 2 put a spare in the back of my SUV....wondering if this unreliable POS will do?  :rofl: