Author Topic: 2011 Toyota Avalon XLS; Day 1  (Read 29102 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
2011 Toyota Avalon XLS; Day 1
« on: August 31, 2010, 10:18:07 pm »

This week James steps behind the wheel of a vehicle that really doesn't fit his demographic very well, but even with his short time with the 2011 Toyota Avalon he already feels as though he may actually like this highway cruiser.
http://www.canadiandriver.com/2010/08/31/day-by-day-review-2011-toyota-avalon-xls.htm
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 10:26:20 pm by wing »

lol

WHY WOULD YOU BUY THIS CAR?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 10:48:51 pm »
If you really want to buy a $50K car with lot's of recalls....just buy a lexus. Why do they even build this car....for the unique styling....lol?!    :surrend:

Offline inco

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +29/-32
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Forester
Re: 2011 Toyota Avalon XLS; Day 1
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 08:38:42 am »
I like this car a lot and if it was a car I was after, it looks like something to take a closer look at. On the surface there is a lot of car for the money and keeping it simple with the options package is a great idea.

dragonflyjack

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 11:08:30 am »
  Bloated AND Bland....B & B... Why live?   dragonfly

Offline dutch

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 GMC Acadia, 2015 Toyota Corolla S
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 12:00:47 pm »
BOO! Hopefully that scared you enought to stay awake Wing!! ;)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 12:10:18 pm »
While making no pretense at being a sports sedan, it does have more under-the-hood credibility than some poseurs that come to mind.  I'm not really into soft, luxy highway cruisers, but if I were, this would be high on the list.  And if I had to drive to Florida, I'd most willingly take the keys to this thing.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 01:19:05 pm »
Agree with Jaeger - I had one of these as a rental last Dec in Arizona for 12 days. It was a fine hiway cruiser, comfortable, powerful enough and solid as a rock. It is not a sports sedan but makes no pretense of being one. At just over $40K, it is good value.

Plus it's invisible - I went thru more than one Arizona Patrol radar traps (speed cameras) at over the limit, but no ticket ever showed up in the mail...... ;D ;D
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Vanstar

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 02:04:26 pm »
I spent two weeks touring the southern USA in an Avalon in June of this year. I cannot think of a better car to do it in. It ate up miles and was very comfortable. The seats were very comfortable and the cruise control and a/c were both first rate. Over a 4000 mile trip it averaged 31 miles per US gallon. Nothing went wrong, was out of place or was unusual.

In a congested city like Vancouver, an Avalon would not be good choice but for long highway trips, it was perfect.

diceman

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 07:13:05 pm »
Gross :hurl:. I can't think of anything I would rather not be seen in.

diceman

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 08:33:04 pm »
You can get a top of the line Lacrosse   for that much money and it's a much nicer car and a lot easier on the eyes. ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 08:42:25 pm »
You can get a top of the line Lacrosse   for that much money and it's a much nicer car and a lot easier on the eyes. ;D

Top of the line Lacrosse with DVD Navi (like Jame's tester) is $2,000+ MORE.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 08:47:49 pm »
I agree that the Lacrosse is better looking.  But for the life of me, I can't see what's so barf-inspiring about the Avalon.  A bit boring? Yes.  Gross?  C'mon.

Jaeger

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 09:15:10 pm »
I don't mind the Avalon... for a long time I thought it was kind of superfluous in the Toyota lineup when the Camry is already so big.  But the Avalon is definitely a bit of a different car...especially given the very uncomplicated nature of the trims (just one).

Maybe James can give his perspective on Avalon versus high end Camry buyer?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 09:30:00 pm »
I don't mind the Avalon... for a long time I thought it was kind of superfluous in the Toyota lineup when the Camry is already so big.  But the Avalon is definitely a bit of a different car...especially given the very uncomplicated nature of the trims (just one).

The back seat on the Avalon is HUUUGE.  How big?  Even more room than the extended wheelbase LS460!!

I think there's like 41" of legroom or something crazy....

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 10:53:36 pm »
While making no pretense at being a sports sedan, it does have more under-the-hood credibility than some poseurs that come to mind.  I
Jaeger

Handling is not spectacular and just in looking at the Avalon, items such as long overhangs and a long wheelbase are obvious signs that this isn’t a sporty car, but it performs adequately. Bumps and potholes in the road are not just soaked up but swallowed whole as the Avalon wallows over them with ease.

It’s a modern and, I assume, reliable replacement for the aging and no longer available Lincoln Town Car and the perfect car to hit the highway towards Montreal in for a Labour Day weekend wedding.

So a big, floaty car, that's quick in a straight line is more "credible" to you. 

Don't forget the cardigan and slippers, it's getting on to Fall now you know! :rofl2:
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 09:14:05 am »
While making no pretense at being a sports sedan, it does have more under-the-hood credibility than some poseurs that come to mind.  I
Jaeger

Handling is not spectacular and just in looking at the Avalon, items such as long overhangs and a long wheelbase are obvious signs that this isn’t a sporty car, but it performs adequately. Bumps and potholes in the road are not just soaked up but swallowed whole as the Avalon wallows over them with ease.

It’s a modern and, I assume, reliable replacement for the aging and no longer available Lincoln Town Car and the perfect car to hit the highway towards Montreal in for a Labour Day weekend wedding.

So a big, floaty car, that's quick in a straight line is more "credible" to you. 

Don't forget the cardigan and slippers, it's getting on to Fall now you know! :rofl2:

I said it had more under-the-hood credibility.  Perhaps I should have specified, for the terminally dim, that I was referring to the engine -  not to the vehicle overall.  I also said it isn't pretending to be a sports sedan - unlike some underpowered slugs that come immediately to mind.  I also said it isn't for me - so I won't be elbowing you out of the way at the big cardigan sale.

By the way, did you have any comment on the car itself, or are you merely continuing to obsess over my posts?

Jaeger
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 09:24:12 am by Jaeger »

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 09:22:29 am »

The back seat on the Avalon is HUUUGE.  How big?  Even more room than the extended wheelbase LS460!!

That's some serious stretch-out room.  Maybe these should come with an optional chauffeur?

Jaeger

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 09:26:15 am »

..lets call it the .........MILFALON...................Rrocket ya olde goat......
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 10:01:32 am »
Jaeger

I said it had more under-the-hood credibility.  Perhaps I should have specified, for the terminally dim, that I was referring to the engine -  not to the vehicle overall.  I also said it isn't pretending to be a sports sedan - unlike some underpowered slugs that come immediately to mind.  I also said it isn't for me - so I won't be elbowing you out of the way at the big cardigan sale.

By the way, did you have any comment on the car itself, or are you merely continuing to obsess over my posts?

Jaeger

Hey, you're all about straight line speed and don't care about handling. That's fine, I don't understand it, but whatever floats your boat.

Boy, self-centered much?

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 10:52:32 am »
Hey, you're all about straight line speed and don't care about handling. That's fine, I don't understand it, but whatever floats your boat.

Boy, self-centered much?

Yet another post about me that has little or nothing to do with the subject matter of the thread.  Obsess much?

And as for not caring about handling... you need to read more carefully.

Jaeger