Author Topic: Test Drive: 2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder  (Read 9148 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder
« on: August 31, 2010, 04:05:45 am »

"A great engine trapped in a wobbly body" is how Assistant Editor Jil McIntosh describes the 2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder. Don't expect a sports car, she says, but it's fine for top-down boulevard cruising at a reasonable price.

Read More...

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 04:37:15 am »
being a bike owner i consider convertables redundant
 but its also a shame that with most convertables , to keep rigidity up , adds weight , or in this case ,they didn't bother --  either way you loose
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 05:26:55 am by bikenut »

john macdonald

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 06:46:12 am »
Why anyone would buy this vehicle over the new 2011 Ford Mustang V6 convertable is beyond me.  The Stang beats this crap box in every way and is cheaper.  Sure the Mitsu is a good looking vehicle but poorly executed technically.  Here's hoping that Mitsu can get their act together and redo all their current vehicles other than the Outlander and Evo, all have to be updated.

Roy

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 08:30:12 am »
...Here's hoping that Mitsu can get their act together and redo all their current vehicles other than the Outlander and Evo, all have to be updated.

Agreed - Mitsu please kill this thing or introduce a complete redesign - way too long in the tooth.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 09:06:54 am »
This Mitsu is a porker.  Cars today are getting so heavy with all the safety hardware and electronic options. 1705KG (3759lbs) for a 'compact convertible' is a lot.

I just read the Volvo S60 T5 is now pushing 4000lbs! :o

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 09:12:26 am »
being a bike owner i consider convertables redundant
 but its also a shame that with most convertables , to keep rigidity up , adds weight , or in this case ,they didn't bother --  either way you loose

A good convertible supplements a motorcycle. Sometimes its nice to not wear all the gear that has saved my skin on more than one occasion. Also 4 wheels can be a whole lot faster around corners.

Jill has summed up this car very well. It would not be on any list of mine except the one "Do not ever consider" which would be too long to even make.

http://flic.kr/p/8oEwDK

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/4865542061/in/set-72157624541215803/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/4819126797/

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 09:25:06 am »
I wondered for few years now why Mitsu keeps producing/trying to sell this, the Endeavor and the Galant since they are way past their lifecycle and completely non-competitive. The only answer I can come up with is to keep the N/A plant going for future products. I think these models are significant contributors to their North American operations loses, but perhaps they know something that we don't.

John MacDonald

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 09:45:45 am »
I wondered for few years now why Mitsu keeps producing/trying to sell this, the Endeavor and the Galant since they are way past their lifecycle and completely non-competitive. The only answer I can come up with is to keep the N/A plant going for future products. I think these models are significant contributors to their North American operations loses, but perhaps they know something that we don't.
It might be the same reason why Chrysler still make the PT Cruiser and VW make the Beetle (which is basically the same vehicle it's been since they reintroduced it 10 years ago).  The PT Cruiser is extremely cheap to make and they sell a lot for fleets (budget car rental), while the VW gets by on it's retro persona.  The Endeavor and Galant have been out dated pretty much from day one and I haven't heard anything recently about new models to replace them.  It's sad because I think Mitsu could really do a lot better and maybe become something similar to Subaru.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 10:08:55 am »
Mitsu is an interesting manufacturer with a lot of engineering expertise (the hard part) and you can see that in their newer products (platforms, AWD, transmissions, engines, etc.). This is where the money is in their products.
Their focus is on small cars/SUVs and I don't think we'll see a replacement for the Endeavor or Galant anytime soon. The markets where they sell most of their products are the ones that favor small cars; therefore that's where their money goes. I bet we'll see a sub-compact Colt before we see a new Galant.

I believe they are going to replace the Eclipse eventually with a car based on the Lancer/Outlander platform (w/AWD and SST).

The new sub-compact SUV – the Outlander RVR is just around the corner (note that it’s on the same C-segment platforms, although it is significantly smaller than the Outlander).

As far as the Subaru/Mitsu parallel goes, in Canada, Mitsu sells about the same number of Lancer/Outlander as Subaru Impreza/Forester. World-wide, I believe Mitsu sells more vehicles than Subaru. In the US, Subaru sells significantly better indeed.

aknutson

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 10:15:54 am »
This is a left field choice in the current market, but hey, who are we to tell them to stop selling it? If they pull in a few sales, hopefully those people are happy with their choice. One thing's for sure, they likely won't see many others cruising down the road beside them, and if it's this anti-conformity you're after, this is the ticket.

Gordon

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 10:32:45 am »
Reasonably priced convertible sports car for $30,498.00
Not many other convertibles cheaper than the Eclipse Spider, its a good looking sexy car.

aknutson

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 11:29:27 am »
Reasonably priced convertible sports car for $30,498.00
Not many other convertibles cheaper than the Eclipse Spider, its a good looking sexy car.

Hmm. Once again, beauty in the eye of the beholder - she looks like an orange whale to me! ha ha. Can't argue about the price though, but as someone else mentioned, that's the same market shared by the more capable 2011 Mustang.

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 02:00:50 pm »
d7 , i understand your point of view   -- its a well kept secret that cars , a good sports car is quicker in the corners than a bike because of the increased contact patch , and its nice not to put on all the gear once in a while .
but i'd much prefer to be on my bike in the summer for the sheer fun of it -- besides , i could never afford a car that can get the 0 - 60 times  my bike can get , nor are their many cars period  that can get the 0 - 60 times bikes can do .
and a big point for me is i do not have to put up with the annoyances and frustrations car driving has to put up with when i'm on my bike
a bike has better accelleration , better braking , better visability - seeing what's ahead and all around , better maneurability.
you can really love a bike , but i can't say that for all the cars i've owned  , bikes are simply more exciting and less restrictive

simply put , bikes are more fun , so the gear, to me is a worthwhile trade off and until a car can do what my bike can do in the summer time , you won't find me buying a convertable anytime soon -- but to each his own d7

and when i don't want to wear all my gear on the odd occasion , except my helmet , (will never do the shorts thing ), i don't
knowing full well how stupid it is - but even that adds a sense of vulnerability which in itself has an appeal

i almost forgot the most important thing of all a bike can give you  !!!!
  that a car can't -- that feeling of freedom !

i wouldn't trade that for all the convertables in the world
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 02:13:03 pm by bikenut »

Sigleton

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 03:57:15 pm »

The Eclipse looks nice, needs to have AWD similar to first generation Eclipses/Talons/Lasers. And more power would be better. But that would take away sales from the EVO. Anyone know what is quicker to 100km? An EVO or a GT Mustang? That would be a interesting race.

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 09:30:42 pm »
sigleton
i take it you're a ford fan -- you are comparing 2 cars ,neither of which are being reviewed here
but since you are a guest , i'll answer your question

the ford will do it  between 4.3  to 4.8 depending on who is driving

the evo will do it in 4.9   ( i had a bike called a kawasaki gpz 550 - it was an 83 , real fun bike but not quick by any means -- it did 0 - 60 in 4.9 )
todays bikes go as low as 2.75 to 60 but most are in the 3 second range ( 600 cc and up ), to go much quicker than 2.75 usually means flipping the bike over
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 09:35:03 pm by bikenut »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2010, 09:58:11 pm »
do you guys remember the Eagle Talon TSi Turbo AWD cars from the early 90's??...they were fast and cheap and even looked good...yea, they were crap, but they were cheap and were cool looking and a lot of fun to drive...oh well.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

ivanz

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2010, 10:30:15 pm »
They need to close the factory in Normal, IL and focus only on the Lancer/Outlander/Outlander Sport.  They also need to bring the Colt and iMiEV to North America...likewise also to develop some products to replace the ones based on the older platforms if there is demand for it.

UUUUUUGLY!

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2010, 10:40:51 pm »
They need to close the factory in Normal, IL and focus only on the Lancer/Outlander/Outlander Sport.  They also need to bring the Colt and iMiEV to North America...likewise also to develop some products to replace the ones based on the older platforms if there is demand for it.

What they really need to do is look at the cost of ownership!  The cost of parts on these lemons is out of this world (including on the Lancer/Outlander).  This site would do a great service to people in comparing the average cost of parts on any Mitz product vs another auto maker that they compete with (yes I mean...any other automaker).

In addition, they have a poor dealer network, dated styling and lots of questions regarding resale value.  Lots of cars in the world why buy a Mitz (other that the EVO....if you are 20 year old kid with $10K burning a hole in your pocket for insurance)?   :run:
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 10:42:56 pm by UUUUUUGLY! »

Offline bikenut

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 12:40:10 am »
i always liked the 1st and 2nd gen eclispes  but things don't look to bright for mitsubishi
in america if this is to be believed
http://www.forbes.com/2009/02/18/dying-car-brands-lifestyle-vehicles_car_brands_slide_8.html

Fillip

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2010, 10:51:34 am »
My personal favorite is the 2003-2005 Mitsubishi Eclipse GTP.
Anyone know how Mitsubishi Canada is doing? I think they are doing quite well, I see lots of Lancers and Outlanders on the roads here. Looks like they sell about 1,700 a month. Thats pretty good, I think.