Author Topic: Feature: RV having fun yet?  (Read 17863 times)

spidey

Re: Feature: RV having fun yet?
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2010, 11:18:53 am »
How is buying an RV for tens of thousands cheaper than renting?  Even at $1200 a week that's way cheaper than buying unless you plan on using it 2 months of the year for a VERY long time.

I know a number of people that use theirs for more than 2 months of the year.

I don't know anyone with 60 days vacation available to them except maybe teachers.

Im married to a teacher, so thats when we take our vacation.  So at $1200 a week we were gone for 4 weeks.  Thats $5000 right there, thats a huge down payment on a trailer.  Plus after our trailer is paid off, we will own it.  In 3 years of renting thatd $15000 gone, but after 3 years of owning we have a trailer

spidey

« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2010, 11:27:06 am »
Why do ppl buy travel trailers when it's obviously not a wise purchase
  ???

Because the industry finances them over a 30 year term.  That is not a misprint.

On your typical 25 foot $19,999 travel travel trailer there is 25% gross profit.  Ever wonder how all those zillion RV dealers stay in business?  Consequently, the monthly payment on that trailer is $133. per month for 30 years.  PPL block out the "30 years" part.  "This will be great for the kids" and it is, for the next 7 years, and then the kids out grow it, the thing has fallen a part, and is a worthless POS and they still owe 23 years on it.  Welcome to RV land.  :P

Thats one math for sure. But it shows so your argument is right.

But there is also the other math, where people buy a trailer and pay for it in a year or 2, or also buy a good used one.  Ill use your example above since thats the price we paid Spring 2009.  Our montly payment is higher than what you mentiioned, because we want to pay it off.  Since then we have also put down 2 tax refunds on it, as well as the money from selling out tent trailer.  We are now down to $9000 owing, and will probably have it paid off my this time next year, give or take.  By the time the kids outgrow it will be about 8 -10 years (our youngest is 8 

In 8 years I really dont see it falling apart, out 10 year old tent trailer was still in great shape because we took care of it, and got a good price for it because of it.  And if we decide to sell it in the futre, I really dont think it will be a worthless POS as you put it.

It would be the same that it makes no sense for people to own a boat since in Canada you can only use it in the summer months.  So what, in those months you can use it for what you want to do, fish, water ski, etc, etc
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 11:35:08 am by spidey »

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2010, 02:41:53 pm »
..pics pleeze of U waterskiing with yer trailer....................save some $$$'s in these Hi Rise parks...................
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2010, 02:51:10 pm »
..pics pleeze of U waterskiing with yer trailer

Only if you post pics of you hauling a boat all over different parts of the Country sleeping in it with your family. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2010, 07:30:42 pm »
..geez........... :bang:...NOT another ONE that won't go water boardingWATER SKIING with their Trailer............. ::) :'( :'( :'(

David Baillieul

« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2010, 10:59:44 am »
I had a 24 ft RV trailer and a Dodge RAM for a couple years. We probably started the RV thing too late, as our kids were 12 and 14. They never particularly liked RVing, and I wasn't a big fan either. My wife did enjoy it, but she wasn't the person doing the driving. Sold a new unit for $14 K  I paid 18 K for. Not bad.

For a typical couple with 2-3 weeks vacation a year, it will never pay, and only makes sense if you really like the lifestyle.

I see it as realistic for a couple with young kids ( with lots of vacation time ) , or empty nesters / retirees.

These days, I prefer marriott.com , and yes, you can shop wisely and stay in some very nice hotels for less than $200/night. :) .

aknutson

« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2010, 12:48:36 pm »
...For a typical couple with 2-3 weeks vacation a year, it will never pay, and only makes sense if you really like the lifestyle.

I see it as realistic for a couple with young kids ( with lots of vacation time ) , or empty nesters / retirees.

These days, I prefer marriott.com , and yes, you can shop wisely and stay in some very nice hotels for less than $200/night. :) .

Perhaps renting is a good option to see if you enjoy RVing, because if you do enjoy it, I'm still pretty certain it makes more financial sense to own than rent - as I said, that's how the rental company makes a profit. If renting worked out to be cheaper, they would have a backwards business. So then if you don't like the lifestyle, of course you wouldn't go out and buy a $25-40K trailer. If a family was 'on the fence' about trailering, they could start with a used 20' and keep costs low. Not only are hotel stays far more expensive for family travel, they don't put a Marriott nestled in the tranquility of Algonquin park.

Too bad to hear the kids didn't enjoy it. I grew up loving family camping excursions our little tent trailer, and we purchased a vehicle that could eventually also tow a tent trailer so we can do the same with our family. Maybe it's all what you're familiar with, but the people I know who have RV's most certainly get use out of them and have paid back twice what it would have cost them to rent.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2010, 01:08:51 pm »
it different strokes for different folks ;D
Wing loves taking his S2000 to the track
Some People love RV
John into roughing it and freezing his ass off on a mountion side
Some people are into staying home
We like travel 4 star resorts usually down south or better some are into hostels

If you think it good valve for your money that is great

Most important have a great time doing it

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2010, 01:33:14 pm »
^ Exactly!   :)

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2010, 01:33:55 pm »
Some People love RV
We like travel 4 star resorts usually down south or better some are into hostels

Well said  :thumbup:
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2010, 02:32:02 pm »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2010, 05:05:29 pm »
Some People love RV

Well said  :thumbup:

Ditto that.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.