Author Topic: Feature: RV having fun yet?  (Read 17871 times)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: Feature: RV having fun yet?
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2010, 12:37:27 am »
Last time we were camping in the States, the family next to us was in a rental pickup with a rental travel trailer. They got both the truck and trailer from the same rental outfit in Salt Lake City. Seemed like a very convenient way to do it.

AFAIK, nothing like that exists north of the border. And while it's easy enough to rent any kind of pickup you want up here, I suspect that if you read the fine print the rental agreement will specifically prohibit towing.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2010, 06:02:44 am »
Maybe these guys could help?  http://www.gorving.ca/main.asp
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2010, 09:28:49 am »
How is buying an RV for tens of thousands cheaper than renting?  Even at $1200 a week that's way cheaper than buying unless you plan on using it 2 months of the year for a VERY long time.

I know a number of people that use theirs for more than 2 months of the year.

I don't know anyone with 60 days vacation available to them except maybe teachers.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2010, 09:30:14 am »
How is buying an RV for tens of thousands cheaper than renting?  Even at $1200 a week that's way cheaper than buying unless you plan on using it 2 months of the year for a VERY long time.

I don't know anyone with 60 days vacation available to them except maybe teachers.

Retired people probably.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2010, 12:10:12 pm »

We use ours quite a bit, but probably not 60 nights a year. Yes, my wife is a teacher, but I actually have to work in the summer.  :P

Don't forget about weekends, though. Maybe we're lucky in that we have lots of good places to go that are only an hour or two away, but we'll drag the trailer out for a regular Friday-Sunday weekend at least twice a month from April to October.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2010, 06:20:48 pm »

So does weekends not count??   ???  I personally know a number of people that have 4 weeks vacation during a work year.  When you combine them gone for virtually every weekend during the summer (which they all do), it easily adds up to WAY more than 2 months vacation time in their RV/Trailer.  People use their trailer/RV other than vacation days ya know. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2010, 06:28:05 pm »
Then they are basically living i n it and treating it like a cottage that is different than just using it as a vacation trip.  Sure then it makes sense, nobody goes to hotels for the weekend every weekend

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2010, 06:32:53 pm »
Then they are basically living i n it and treating it like a cottage that is different than just using it as a vacation trip.  Sure then it makes sense, nobody goes to hotels for the weekend every weekend

Completely disagree.  You can't consider it a cottage when you are going different places every week. 

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2010, 06:35:06 pm »
It's LIKE a cottage obviously it is not one...  Now we are just trying to argue for the sake of it

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2010, 07:10:48 pm »
It's LIKE a cottage obviously it is not one...  Now we are just trying to argue for the sake of it

Hmm, I honesty don't understand your rationale.  So someone that uses their Trailer/RV every weekend is using it as a "cottage" but not as a "vacation trip"?  Interesting.   And btw, I don't consider this arguing whatsoever, just a difference of opinions.   ;D
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 09:51:42 pm by CanuckG35 »

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2010, 07:16:42 pm »
I have lots of neighbors with these things they go away for a few weeks in the summer and the couple of long weekends.  So to me that is "camping/RVing" for the weekend.  Then I know a few people that have cottages or trailers etc they go every weekend after work and that's how they spend their summer. 

So IMO if you are using your rv every weekend it's kind of like a movable cottage.  Most of my neighbors leave thir rv sitting in their driveway for 90% of the summer, oh and it's a eye sore but that's another conversation.  They use it for vacation and that is all.

Most people I know do not have time to go camping every weekend for those buying one seems like a waste of money and would be cheaper to rent yet they buy anyways.  They also then bug a truck to tow it and drive to the grocery store.  Its quite comical actually

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2010, 08:17:44 pm »
^ Aww, so just because the people you know don't fully utilize a trailer/RV makes it a waste of money huh?  ???

We both own S2000s.  If someone told you owning one was waste of money because you can only drive one a few months out of the year, I am sure you would indicate that you purchased the vehicle for YOU, not anyone else.   For you to judge how how people spend their money is very narrow minded IMO. 

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2010, 08:22:12 pm »
^ Aww, so just because the people you know don't fully utilize a trailer/RV makes it a waste of money huh?  ???

We both own S2000s.  If someone told you owning one was waste of money because you can only drive one a few months out of the year, I am sure you would indicate that you purchased the vehicle for YOU, not anyone else.   For you to judge how how people spend their money is very narrow minded IMO. 

Especially when his car is a garage/trailer queen..... :rofl2:

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2010, 08:24:33 pm »

Especially when his car is a garage/trailer queen..... :rofl2:
Hey you beat to it, should you not be at work in that big comfy chair

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2010, 08:29:34 pm »
Working on a plastic shingle ATM.  Looks just like slate.  Pretty cool IMO....

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2010, 08:44:04 pm »
Again construing what i wrote.  Never said they were a waste of money,  said it was funny.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2010, 08:50:02 pm »
Again construing what i wrote.  Never said they were a waste of money,  said it was funny.

Not to drag this out any further, but I think the implication was pretty clear.  Not sure where I am construing anything as you suggest. 

Most people I know do not have time to go camping every weekend for those buying one seems like a waste of money

Anyways, everyone has their separate views, which is what makes a forum an enjoyable and interesting place to visit each day.   :)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 09:56:12 pm by CanuckG35 »

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2010, 10:45:53 pm »
Why do ppl buy travel trailers when it's obviously not a wise purchase
  ???

Because the industry finances them over a 30 year term.  That is not a misprint.

On your typical 25 foot $19,999 travel travel trailer there is 25% gross profit.  Ever wonder how all those zillion RV dealers stay in business?  Consequently, the monthly payment on that trailer is $133. per month for 30 years.  PPL block out the "30 years" part.  "This will be great for the kids" and it is, for the next 7 years, and then the kids out grow it, the thing has fallen a part, and is a worthless POS and they still owe 23 years on it.  Welcome to RV land.  :P

RV's hold their value pretty well.  Take a look at the classified and see what a ten to 15 year old trailer is selling for.  It aint cheap.  I just sold my three year old trailer for $14500, paid $18500 for it.  My inlaws just bought a new trailer 2 years ago, thought it was time to upgrade from their 1970's Coachmen.  POS after 7 years?  I don't think so. 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 10:49:01 pm by bordercity »
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2010, 10:24:01 am »
Are you in Ontario?

This is a 2003 Citation, 25 feet, one owner, absolutely mint. Awning perfect.  Oven never used.  Guy put on chrome wheels, not those crappy white painted steel ones that show rust in a few years.  Kept it in his drive shed when not in use.  I gave him $6000. as a trade against a Frontier.  That's what the book on it was and that is what it was worth.

Forget the classifieds.  That's dream land.  If you got $14,500 off some moron then good on you.  But that is hardly representative of the market in Ontario where the majority of travel trailers are sold.

I now use it for company at my cottage or when my mother law appears for her allotted 2 days I hide in there.  :)

If you can't use the classifieds as a starting point Steve, what can you use?  I wouldn't consider the guy a moron.  Whatever someone is willing to pay, that is what it is worth.  I did my homework when selling it, thats what similar trailers were going for.  And as I'm sure you know, depreciation hit is hardest in the first few years. 

I'm not trying to say that financing over 20-30 years is a smart idea for an RV.  I guess my point is that in my experience, trailers depreciate less than vehicles.

Edit: Thanks for attaching the pictures.  Looks like you got a heck of a deal.  And no, I'm not in Ontario.  Google bordercity for location  :)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 11:03:44 am by bordercity »

spidey

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2010, 10:58:16 am »
Whats with all the haters against people that RV.  Its not about the extra money or saving money, its about thats how you want to spend your vacation, or summer.

Renting has its pros and cons.  It may be cheaper, no upkeep, etc.  But then you have to always pack & unpack everything.  When you won you just leave your stuff in for the next trip.  Im sure I could list more, but thats one I can think of right now.
Its the same as renting a house to owning one.  After a year of rent you have nothing to show for it, but after a year of mortgage payments you at least own some of your house  ;D

We started camping with a trailer about 11 years ago, started off with a little 15 foot 1972 Dutchman that our minivan could haul, then 3 years later upgraded to a 26' tent trailer.  With that also bought a mid size truck (Nissan Frontier)  Not just to haul that but it was used for that to.
Last year we upgraded once more to a 21' Rockwood Roo with a hard slide out the back for our bed.  Will probably be our last upgrade since when we camp we arent the type to be in our camper all the time, so we dont need the 30 ft kind.

This summer we spent a month on the road camping, most of it at campsites, with a few nights here and there in friends and familys driveways.  We were in 3 different province, put on about 4200 kms, and spent about $1500 - $1700 with fuel, camping fees, food, etc.  If we didnt camp and had to stay in hotels and eat restaurant food for a month, Ill bet it worked out to being the same cost, or maybe even a little less.  We are a family of 5, and even a cheap room at a Super 8 would be about $100 a night anyway.  Plus the benefit of not staying at someone else house.

Could of that money been used for a different type of vaction, defintly.  But this is what we like to do.  For those that dont, then dont keep saying how expensive it is, waste of time or that it doesnt make sense to them.

The kids love to camp, they get to do things you could never do cooped up on a hotel room at night, and they can also go do their own thing as well, go exploring, hiking, swimming, play with friends, etc.

It doesnt have to be expensive to own an RV or travel trailer.  You dont need a huge 32 foot trailer that takes a 3/4 ton to haul.  You can get smaller that can be hauled by your exisitng SUV, and finding a good used one for under 10K.  Or even a good used tent trailer can be found for 4-5K.

To each their own, but to say its stupid to RV because of the cost is like people that RV saying that going to Disneyland is stupid.  Its my vacation, thats how I will do it

And as an FYI that say you only camp a few weekends a year, many people have their trailers setup at seasonal sites, and camp in them from May to Oct.  Not everyday, but defintly are there alot.  And in the summer months are there for an entire month basically.  We used our camper so far this summer 45 days since May, and have one more camping trip this long weekend.  We have gotten our moneys worth from our camper for sure, and to see how excited the kids get to go camping is worht it to me.

I also like the fact your away from the hectic lifestyle we lead.  Its downtime, relax time, sitting in your chair and enjoying a beer with a friend and no crowds.  Can you do that in Disneyland, nope.  Lineups, bumping into people.  I like my vacation to be relaxing, thanks
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 11:15:51 am by spidey »